Stigmas associated with reptile enthusiasts

jackscham

As a life long reptile enthusiast, I have to say i've been branded and labelled a few times because of my interest in all things that crawl--Mainly chameleons!! My sister-in-law has given the handle "bug geek" because of my frequent trips to pet shops to buy crickets, worms......Even though i've lived a very "normal" life--people still look at me with a tilted head when they hear I own chameleons. It doesn't bother me any more, but when I was in my teens , I was almost embarrassed to admit I owned reptiles.
Its not like I collect comic books, impersonate Elvis, or go to Star Trek conventions;)

I just love my chameleons!!

I have only been a cham owner for 5 months, but have had a tortoise, , Iguana, turtles, frogs (no snakes) and people just dont understand how you can get attached to these creatures. My mother in law calls my chameleon "that lizard" lol! When I was in home depot with her I had picked out a $40 ficus tree for a free range on my patio and she asked what it was for and was floored when I told her it was for "that lizard" haha

Ya, Im seen as "not quite right in the head" by a large majority of my coworkers, many friends and many family members - because I like bugs and lizards and "creepy things"

I used to be able to say I had a "normal" pet when I had a cat. But now I dont so I'm simply weird.

Oh well. I like the hobby and my pets. and at least Im not boring
Those that truly mind dont matter, for those that truly matter dont mind.

PS - what's wrong with Star Trek?

As a life long reptile enthusiast, I have to say i've been branded and labelled a few times because of my interest in all things that crawl--Mainly chameleons!! My sister-in-law has given the handle "bug geek" because of my frequent trips to pet shops to buy crickets, worms......Even though i've lived a very "normal" life--people still look at me with a tilted head when they hear I own chameleons. It doesn't bother me any more, but when I was in my teens , I was almost embarrassed to admit I owned reptiles.
Its not like I collect comic books, impersonate Elvis, or go to Star Trek conventions;)

I just love my chameleons!!

sad! I am not afraid to say i own Reptiles :) People that i go to school love that i do :)

Ahaha. I'm just the 'person to go to about animals.' i've had reptiles since I was 5-6 years old, so my long time friends are just used to it. They even like my reptiles and some are/have getting/gotten their own. My mom likes my animals now and thinks they are interesting. She generally likes all my animals as long as I am the one who takes care of them.

My cousin now has a baby musk turtle (who is adorable!) with my help, my friend is getting a crested gecko for her birthday present this year, my boyfriend has become a chameleon lover and now owns three different species, and my other friend now has a bearded dragon. Generally they all asked me where to start researching and where to buy from. :)

I live in a small town in Montana, and I moved here from California, almost 3 LONG years ago. I am the only person any where near here who has chameleons. I am known as the "lizard lady". I love my chameleons, if others don't no problem - I prefer my chameleons to most people anyway.

One of the women at our quilt group heard I had chameleons & stated in the middle of the group that she would never come to my house as long as I had my chameleons. I looked up at her, smiled and ask where she ever got the idea I would invite her to my home???:D That ended that discussion.

LOL!
Thats so funny. Not alot of people know I own chameleons.
And the people I do know are totally and utterly shocked :rolleyes:
Heck my mother and father thinks I own only one chameleon
because I havent told them I actually own four :D
I think the only person that knows I have four is my husband and my little bro :)
I guess Im a closet keeper LMFAO

One of the women at our quilt group heard I had chameleons & stated in the middle of the group that she would never come to my house as long as I had my chameleons. I looked up at her, smiled and ask where she ever got the idea I would invite her to my home???:D That ended that discussion.

Haha owned! :D Nice answer Laurie! :)

From a psychological point of view, i'm sure there are various correlations between having a chameleon and other personality characteristics. Of course, i have no studies to support my beliefs, otherwise i'd state them.

For example, one of my best would be the way the chameleons and other reptiles owners approach the unknown (at large). Some people fear anything that they don't know, just like they could kill them. Some others, like some of us i believe, are interested and curious about seeing new and uncommon things.

I think we are also more tolerant to differences in general. We can see people in here who are stigmatised and labeled as geeks, nerds, metal fans, weirdos, emos, bug lovers, name whatever you want! And i feel like most people in here don't care in what category i may be! ;)

Then again, i'd like to remember everyone that it is my PERSONAL BELIEF, not a scientific fact! ;)

Second warning: correlations does NOT mean causality. Psychology and correlations are not linked in causality 99,9% of the time. Correlation basically means that there is link between two phenomenons, without telling which one is causing the other, nor saying that 100% of the time this rule applies. However, correlation is a statistical proven measurement, for those who didn't know! ;)

Oooooh yea, I get weird looks all the time. I recently went on a first date with a guy who had only mentioned he had one pet, just like that. I wasn't planning on admitting my pets just yet, but at dinner I asked what his one pet was and he was really embarassed but he admitted it was a rat. And I was like, Oh no problem, I have chameleons. :D He's still seeing me, so I guess we're ok. But it does weird people out normally. But as soon as I flash a photo of one of my panthers they immediately have a change of heart, because they're "oooh pretty colors."

Now I'm like Pssh too, a my old university word got around that I was the person to ask for reptile info. I've gotten quite a few emails from students I don't know that heard of me through word of mouth who wanted tips/help. It's definately nice to be respected for that though, it makes up for the weird looks and comments.

My mother in law calls my chameleon "that lizard" lol! When I was in home depot with her I had picked out a $40 ficus tree for a free range on my patio and she asked what it was for and was floored when I told her it was for "that lizard" haha

LoL, my In Laws say the same thing "those lizards". People who don't know me, would have no idea I have "creepy animals". Some people are very shocked when they find out and some think it is disturbing. I don't really care, it is funny. My In law said if he sees a snake in my home he is going to shoot it. LoL

I live in a small town in Montana, and I moved here from California, almost 3 LONG years ago. I am the only person any where near here who has chameleons. I am known as the "lizard lady". I love my chameleons, if others don't no problem - I prefer my chameleons to most people anyway.

Go Laurie! Lol! I would love to have seen the look on her face!:eek:

People that know me are used to me and my wierd pets - having kept sugar gliders for the past 10 years, they are all kind of used to it. I still get asked if I have the glider when I meet people that I haven't seen for years!

My mother in law hates snakes particularly andis not keen on animals at all really - she freaked out once when she saw a shoe lace in the garden! Her reaction is just sooo amusing!:p We invited her round one time not long after I got Lily, but hadn't told her about the lizard. She went in the lounge and stood right next to the viv. All was ok until Lily moved an eyeball! PMSL! Mother in law gave the best reaction ever! We will NEVER forget that day!:D She was on edge for the rest of her visit! Hehe!! Chameleons are Mother in law deterrants, lol!:p

long time rep guy

I have had a number of reptiles over my life - 4 snakes, several iguana, more frogs than I can remember, and now 1 cham. He is the most interesting pet I have. Most people find him cool. Snakes on the other hand still freak people out. My wife thinks he is a great pet, although she hates the crickets, dubias, and super worms I keep in the basement.

I think it is a great hobby and much more rewarding than cats.

I just finished student teaching, my students thought it was way cool that I had chams. I guess it just depends on the group of people you tell on what stigma you'll have. lol

You go girl!!!:D

Me. I have always been considered a little off for my choice in "friends". Now that I am a 'mature" adult, I enjoy being waaaay off!;)

Back
Top Bottom