sticks/branches from trees

whysoez420

are all safe if washed ect? and what would be the best procedure to clean/disinfect them before being put into a cage? i plan to go all natural in my chams cage, no fake stuff.

Excellent!

You want to avoid anything that has bark chips or sap.
Bark bits and sap will irritate their eyes, they rub their eyes frequently on limbs.

Freshly picked off a tree yourself is best.
Inspect it for burrowing insects, and fungi. You dont want either.
Harvest the chosen branch, and look inside were its been cut/ripped off the tree for further signs of insects.

Wash it with a hose, and its ready to be put in the cage.

Some people wash them thoroughly with dawn, bleach, and then bake them in the oven. I just rinse them, but get it clean enough for you to feel comfortable putting it in the enclosure.

perfect will do. is it fine to take the bark off a branch and use it? or am i best to find barkless branches? thanks again :) and i did kind of lie when i said no fake stuff, i forgot i bought buy my cham the exo terra large jungle vine, would you consider it safe to use? i just liked the fact that it can be twisted and bent in any way possible.

perfect will do. is it fine to take the bark off a branch and use it? or am i best to find barkless branches? thanks again :) and i did kind of lie when i said no fake stuff, i forgot i bought buy my cham the exo terra large jungle vine, would you consider it safe to use? i just liked the fact that it can be twisted and bent in any way possible.

The bendy vine is fine. They are useful.

You dont want to have to remove any bark.
As long as its smooth and doesnt have sap coming out of it.
Something like this is more ideal:http://images.fineartamerica.com/im...-of-leafless-tree-branches-raymond-gehman.jpg

Pine is bad, that is the kind of thing you want to avoid.
http://shelledy.mesa.k12.co.us/staff/computerlab/images/CO_Pine_beetle_signs.jpg

See how many little bits it has that could easily flake off into the eye?

If its clean, smooth, and critter free, youre ok. Just inspect the branch closely, and use your best judgement.;)

Ditto everything that Solid said. I've had natural branches in mine (never baked or bleached them either) and they still look "new" a full year later. They've held up really well to the heat, humidity, and use of a chameleon cage.

Back
Top Bottom