Stick insects as feeder?

KobaOregonherper

Chameleon Enthusiast
Thoughts? I know Nicks got them over at FTF, but since im heading to the expo tomorrow morning, seeing if its worth picking them up. (Feel like I want them as pets more than feeders honestly)

It usually takes a moment until chameleons realize stick insects as food. But then they seem to taste very good, despite the secretions. I have been using them for years as one of many regular feeders.

Pay attention to what species you want to buy. Some reproduce very quickly (3-4 months), some need 8 months or longer from egg-laying to hatching. And some of the particularly pretty species are somewhat more elaborate in keeping. Take those that a) reproduce quickly, b) grow up under very simple conditions and c) feed on blackberry leaves - e.g. Sipyloidea sipylus, Ramulus artemis, Medauroidea extradentata or Carausius morosus.

Yup as mentioned above, some will reproduce very fast. I've had D gigantea and they take a longggg time to mature, lay eggs, and then for the eggs to hatch.

My stick colony hasn’t been super productive. I got eggs, but a low hatch/nymph survival rate. I think my temps fluctuate too much so Im working on that.

My guys really hustle across the cage for a stick bug!

There was a chameleon breeder podcast that said to be cautious of where the bugs come from and what they were fed because many of the ones coming out of India in particular are fed a plant that can be toxic to chams

Yup as mentioned above, some will reproduce very fast. I've had D gigantea and they take a longggg time to mature, lay eggs, and then for the eggs to hatch.

I think these guys are diapheromeridae not sure though. Got 4 of them regardless.

Edit: They're Phaenopharos khaoyaiensis or the Thai Bud-wing stick insect.
20191019_124932.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom