Stick Bugs for Food?fff

Ilike4hornedchams

Established Member
Hey, I am contemplating starting a Indian SB or Pink Wing SB (stick bug) colony, but obviously I first wanna know if they are nutritious first! Anyone know anything about this? Also if any one knows their needs what would you recommend if I live below San Francisco (climate). Kinda cold climate but can be warm too. (+ I have access to plenty of black berry as well as some other food sources of theirs.)

Stick bugs are my Chams all time favorite, they never last more than a few seconds once I put them in their cages. I got mine from @nick barta at full throttle feeders a site sponsor ! and have had them for a few years now. Check out his website he has care sheets available. Highly recommended!! . Contact Nick I think he keeps several species and is great to work with .
Good luck
Dave

I think indians will eat Ivy but check on that. I have Vietnamese and they don't. Winter was a pain and lost many. My Vietnamese seemed to rather starve than eat dried oak leaves and when rose and Raspberry all died off for the winter I had a tough time.

Just as a side note, They aren't as easy to harvest as the roaches. I use them as an occasional treat because they are harder to harvest in numbers.. One of my chams was on a hunger strike. That ended quickly when I put the sticks in there.

In my limited experience, the Pinks lasted longer. Nick has a lot of Aussie sticks in stock right now, and I found those to be much much heartier than the other 2 options. The Aussies are amazing and are thicker and easier to see. (that is, when they're not imitating a branch or dead leaf!)

I live in the NE, and can't seem to keep the Indians or Pinks alive without proper food.

Nick will give you the best advice. He's super.

I think indians will eat Ivy but check on that. I have Vietnamese and they don't. Winter was a pain and lost many. My Vietnamese seemed to rather starve than eat dried oak leaves and when rose and Raspberry all died off for the winter I had a tough time.

Just as a side note, They aren't as easy to harvest as the roaches. I use them as an occasional treat because they are harder to harvest in numbers.. One of my chams was on a hunger strike. That ended quickly when I put the sticks in there.
Nick how much dry leave were you trying to feed? They can't survive off them alone. Have to feed fresh once a week minimum and newly born nymphs won't eat dried for the life of them. To encourage older nymphs and adults to eat dried mist it heavily.

Indians eat Ivy so they are the easiest to care for in that Ivy cuttings last 2 weeks in water, Blackberry and Oak last one week. Ivy can be grown indoors or out doors, so you get year-round food.
Pink wings eat Blackberry, Oak, Rose and several other deciduous plants, but not Ivy.
From a chameleons viewpoint the Pink Wing is a winner; the nymphs are bright green and move FAST, and the adults fly.
Stick insect care sheets are under the "More" tab on the home page of my website, fullthrottlefeeders.com.

CHEERS!

Nick

Nick how much dry leave were you trying to feed? They can't survive off them alone. Have to feed fresh once a week minimum and newly born nymphs won't eat dried for the life of them. To encourage older nymphs and adults to eat dried mist it heavily.
For about 2 months there were no fresh leaves available. I read somewhere that some raspberry leaves would last throughout the winter and I could find some... That was wrong. I provided romain but they wouldn't eat much. I misted daily. I managed to get some through the winter... I have two adults and maybe 20 or 30 nymphs left... but lost a bunch. Lost all my mid sized sticks except for the 2 that are now adults. Next year I will have lots of raspberry branches cut, in water in the cool basement with a light on them. Might even try some in the fridge or the wine chiller with the BSFL. That should last me for a while and I will grow some wild rose in the basement as back up. The wild roses are producing leaves again in my yard so i'm good for this year. If the Vietnamese weren't so cool I would switch to Indian sticks but there is something about having those big adults.

I love my vietnamese and the adults are super chill, all my females are really calm and fine with being handled.

Back
Top Bottom