Steve Passed Away

We woke up to find Steve (my 9 month old Panther chameleon) looking very sick. His eyes were extremely sunken in and he didn’t want to open them. He also wasn’t moving around as much as normal. He was completely fine the day and weeks before the only thing a little concerning was that he was eating less but we figured that that was just from becoming more of an adult not a juvenile. Also his pee was a bit orange but we had figured he was just dehydrated because he is a picky drinker. So we misted him extra and made sure he drank plenty. Yesterday however, I did notice him started to rub his eye late last night but we were just going to check in the morning and see if he needed to see a vet. So back to today, since I noticed he was obviously very sick, I took him in to a emergency vet who saw Panther Chameleons. After doing a fecal, blood test, and examining him they told us his liver was failing. We reviewed husbandry and he said everything we did was perfect. That pointed him to know that his liver failing was COMPLETELY GENETIC. The vet told us it would be a long shot but he gave him an injection and sent us home with antibiotics for his liver failer and his eyes which were secondary to the liver failure. Shortly after we got home he passed away. Absolutely devastating and it was a complete shock because he’s always been a healthy fisty little guy. I just want to hopefully prevent more chameleons passing in the future. I REALLY think and belief that before people breed and seal chameleons they should make sure there is no genetic issue. (Although I do understand that somethings are unavoidable and people may not know that their chameleons have bad genetics) All I can think about is all his other or at-least half of his “siblings” will also have liver failure that will eventually lead to death. I don’t want to stress this enough.... I really recommend getting your chameleon a full work up and blood draw when you first get them. That way the genetic issue won’t be as far per greased and hopefully you will be able to give your chameleon a full and happy life. Anyways, this just goes to show you that you could be doing absolutely everything right and even then your chameleon still passes away. This just feels so unfair to me right now. He will be truly missed ❤️

Sorry for your loss. Keep him in your heart.they do get to us.

I've never heard of a genetic liver issue with chameleons. It would be interesting to know how the vet knew this. I don't know how anyone selling them would know if their chameleons had such a thing either.

I second @kinyonga. I feel for you, but there's no way for a breeder to really tell this would happen. I don't disagree that it could be genetic, but to be so certain makes me skeptical. Dehydration can be a precursor to liver damage as well. You mentioned orange urates and that you were hand misting. Not trying to blame you, but maybe your chameleon was not getting enough water.

I second @kinyonga. I feel for you, but there's no way for a breeder to really tell this would happen. I don't disagree that it could be genetic, but to be so certain makes me skeptical. Dehydration can be a precursor to liver damage as well. You mentioned orange urates and that you were hand misting. Not trying to blame you, but maybe your chameleon was not getting enough water.
I agree with all. How did the vet know it was genetic for sure? I'm sorry for your loss.

Good point I remember reading an article about chameleons that said chronic dehydration can cause liver problems.

sorry for your loss. It’s never easy losing one of these guys

No my chameleon also had a automatic mister, dropped, and we missed him like 5 times a day

I agree with all. How did the vet know it was genetic for sure? I'm sorry for your loss.
The vet knew it was genetic because we went over everything I was doing for my chameleon. He also had a automatic mister, dripper, and we would spray him everyday multiple times. We know it wasn’t dehydration that was the problem because we saw him drink and his pee was always white until the day before. Liver failure can hit them and kill them within a couple of hours. All of this points to a genetic issue. The only other concern was that the roaches were poisoned but we always got them from DubiaRoaches.com so I doubt that but it could still be a very slight possibility.

I've never heard of a genetic liver issue with chameleons. It would be interesting to know how the vet knew this. I don't know how anyone selling them would know if their chameleons had such a thing either.
And I understand that. I am just so unbelievably sad right now that it is hard for me to be rational.

The vet knew it was genetic because we went over everything I was doing for my chameleon. He also had a automatic mister, dripper, and we would spray him everyday multiple times. We know it wasn’t dehydration that was the problem because we saw him drink and his pee was always white until the day before. Liver failure can hit them and kill them within a couple of hours. All of this points to a genetic issue. The only other concern was that the roaches were poisoned but we always got them from DubiaRoaches.com so I doubt that but it could still be a very slight possibility.

We woke up to find Steve (my 9 month old Panther chameleon) looking very sick. His eyes were extremely sunken in and he didn’t want to open them. He also wasn’t moving around as much as normal. He was completely fine the day and weeks before the only thing a little concerning was that he was eating less but we figured that that was just from becoming more of an adult not a juvenile. Also his pee was a bit orange but we had figured he was just dehydrated because he is a picky drinker. So we misted him extra and made sure he drank plenty. Yesterday however, I did notice him started to rub his eye late last night but we were just going to check in the morning and see if he needed to see a vet. So back to today, since I noticed he was obviously very sick, I took him in to a emergency vet who saw Panther Chameleons. After doing a fecal, blood test, and examining him they told us his liver was failing. We reviewed husbandry and he said everything we did was perfect. That pointed him to know that his liver failing was COMPLETELY GENETIC. The vet told us it would be a long shot but he gave him an injection and sent us home with antibiotics for his liver failer and his eyes which were secondary to the liver failure. Shortly after we got home he passed away. Absolutely devastating and it was a complete shock because he’s always been a healthy fisty little guy. I just want to hopefully prevent more chameleons passing in the future. I REALLY think and belief that before people breed and seal chameleons they should make sure there is no genetic issue. (Although I do understand that somethings are unavoidable and people may not know that their chameleons have bad genetics) All I can think about is all his other or at-least half of his “siblings” will also have liver failure that will eventually lead to death. I don’t want to stress this enough.... I really recommend getting your chameleon a full work up and blood draw when you first get them. That way the genetic issue won’t be as far per greased and hopefully you will be able to give your chameleon a full and happy life. Anyways, this just goes to show you that you could be doing absolutely everything right and even then your chameleon still passes away. This just feels so unfair to me right now. He will be truly missed ❤
Sorry for your loss. Did you get him from a breeder? If so, have you contacted them to see if they are aware of other clutches from this lineage that have had a similar issue...not that they would admit to it if they did. Could be good for them to know as well if they take your word for it.

Sorry for your loss. Did you get him from a breeder? If so, have you contacted them to see if they are aware of other clutches from this lineage that have had a similar issue...not that they would admit to it if they did. Could be good for them to know as well if they take your word for it.
Yes, we contacted them about the situation

Back
Top Bottom