Sterilizing used cage

lukestrikwerda

Hey guys!

New to the forum and most recently purchased a used enclosure for a baby veiled chameleon that I'll be picking up in a few weeks or so! I was just wondering if any of you had and tips for sterilizing the enclosure! Anything at all would be helpful.

Thanks!

-Luke

10 parts water 1 part bleach, scrub cage down good, rinse with garden hose & dry in sun or air dry!

Scrub off any organic material with soapy water and rinse before bleaching so the bleach can do it's job. Allow the bleach dilution to have ~10 minutes of contact time before rinsing.

Hey guys!

New to the forum and most recently purchased a used enclosure for a baby veiled chameleon that I'll be picking up in a few weeks or so! I was just wondering if any of you had and tips for sterilizing the enclosure! Anything at all would be helpful.

Thanks!

-Luke
Chlorahexadine. Nothing is safer and nothing works better. you can get it at a Vets office. Its about $20 a gallon and it will last you forever because you have to dilute it so much. It is also good for mouth infections if he ever gets one and you catch it before you needs meds to fix it.

Chlorhexidine is a good cleaner and kills some bacteria among other things. If you are worried about parasites like Coccidia you should use 40% hydrogen peroxide and rinse well with water. It's nasty stuff and you must be careful, use gloves etc but it will kill everything were Chlorhexidine won't. You can get it at a beauty supply place or on Amazon.

When ever I move a chameleon from one cage into another cage that has been occupied by another Chameleon I use the hydrogen peroxide and rinse with a pressure washer. :)

d
Chlorhexidine is a good cleaner and kills some bacteria among other things. If you are worried about parasites like Coccidia you should use 40% hydrogen peroxide and rinse well with water. It's nasty stuff and you must be careful, use gloves etc but it will kill everything were Chlorhexidine won't. You can get it at a beauty supply place or on Amazon.

When ever I move a chameleon from one cage into another cage that has been occupied by another Chameleon I use the hydrogen peroxide and rinse with a pressure washer. :)
does it need to be diluted in water first?

From what I've read in old threads hydrogen peroxide should be applied as a 6% solution to kill coccidia. They say, and I can't confirm, that 20 volume from the beauty supply is 6% and 40 volume is 12%. If you get the 40 volume dilute it by half. With either concentration wear gloves and eye protection and rinse rinse rinse before using the cage.

From what I've read in old threads hydrogen peroxide should be applied as a 6% solution to kill coccidia. They say, and I can't confirm, that 20 volume from the beauty supply is 6% and 40 volume is 12%. If you get the 40 volume dilute it by half. With either concentration wear gloves and eye protection and rinse rinse rinse before using the cage.

This is correct. Sorry I just assumed it was 40%. It is 12% and I don't dilute it. It's knarly stuff so be careful! I usually use a pressure washer also. I have WC's occasionally so I'm really careful if I'm going to use a cage that housed one and will be used for a different Chameleon.

A couple of ridiculous questions. does hydrogen peroxide oxidates metal? I was gonna use it on an exoterra and I worry about messing up the top net. also do you use an special kind of protective mask? I been googling on how to use it and the companies that make protecting masks for contruction work and such recomend an air presured mask for work with ydrogen peroxide. the % I will be working with would be 12 %. altenative 3 % that can be bought in th drog store ( the 12 % comes in a liter container) would a 3 % work at all? or should just get the 12 % ? also the 3 % that is sell in the drug stores seems to be keep refrigerated but not so the 12%. does anyone have any output on this?

never mind about the oxidations. it seems that it does oxidize metal quite well. what can be use on the net instead?

Just got off the phone with my vet. the 3 % hydrogen perioxide should work fine but only for glass

Back
Top Bottom