stepped up to a big boy cage, concerns..

jmacphee9

within 30 days my zoomed reptibreeze 16x16x20 was already rusting, so i returned it and decided to go with the diy 18x18x36, i have a few concerns though as he doesnt seem to be eating, hes very dark colors frequently since the switch as well. one thing is for certain, i need to fill his new big cage out with more foliage.

he also only hangs out on one branch, the opposite side of the light so im concerned about his uvb reception with the reptisun compact bulb.

he is still moving pretty quickly, his eyes are pretty reactionary, his poop is very healthy looking so i dont have much health concerns right now, but this cage transition does seem to be pretty stressful on the guy.

my real question for this, is the cage just too big for him right now? he is still only about 4 months or so old, 3inches long.

He will be fine. Like you said, it needs MUCH more foliage in there. As you know, chameleons like hanging out in the tree tops. So i'd add another plant that will fill the top, like a ficus. He is probably feeling very exposed. The cage size is good. Once you get another plant in there, he should feel right at home in no time.

Also, do you have a UVB and heat lamp? I only see one fixture

I wouldn't say its too big.... Just too empty. More foliage will provide more cover for him. and more cover equals more comfort. He should lighten up after this has been done.:)

Also, do you have a UVB and heat lamp? I only see one fixture

yes i do have a heat lamp not pictured, due to the ambient temperature i have to distance it off the cage to maintain his 85* basking area.

thanks for the quick help guys, cage will be filled up today with another tree. i wish i could find a darn ficus around here.

You dont necessarily need a ficus. Thats just what i prefer. I always find them at wal-mart or HD. unbrella trees are nice as well.

Looks like you have a CFL UVB Bulb. I would suggest switching to a linear so it can stretch across the entire cage. You also get better UVB from the linear bulbs as more of the UVB is direct. Check out the double bulb setup from lightyourreptiles.com

Back
Top Bottom