Steam Cleaning A Cage?

My steamcleaner has burned/damaged leaves. I wonder if its just hotter than yours? I found damage to plants to be the only downfall of a steam clearner.

Just wanted to update everyone! I bought a steam cleaner (this one: http://www.sales-innovations.com/Shark_SC618A_Steam_Bottle_Handheld_Steam_Cleaner_p1297.html) and used it for the first time this weekend on both of my cham cages.

REVIEW:

I used it on the bottom of the cage (PVC Board) and it steamed off all stains and poo stains very easy the board looks brand new again. I also used it on the soil of my plants just to kill anything that could possibly be in it. Same goes with the leafs of my plants I sprayed them down really quickly. No damage done to the plants no dead leafs or anything and it's been a week and I noticed a big difference in smell inside of the cages.

I no longer use shark brand of steam cleaner anymore.
They'll work fine for a year and immediately after that they will stop functioning at all. and, coincidentally, the company only cover the steam cleaner for a year.

I no longer use shark brand of steam cleaner anymore.
They'll work fine for a year and immediately after that they will stop functioning at all. and, coincidentally, the company only cover the steam cleaner for a year.

Haven't had a problem yet with mine but I've only had it for about 3 months. What brand are you using now?

I have a McCulloch and I really like it. It was the cheapest steam cleaner that had good ratings. It seems to do the job. A forum member brought up a point that it might not get to the critical temperature to kill coccidia though, which I can believe. I still rinse, wipe it down with clorox wipes, spray and wipe with virosan and rinse again before I do the steam clean. You have to let it warm up anyways. Might as well do that. As for the UV wand, it does sound tempting. I'm not sure if you want UVC near your animals, plants or yourself. When I was working in a lab during college, all the benches had UVC light and they could kill your cell samples easily (and they were human, mice, and rat cells). The weird thing is, we had to leave it on overnight and when not in use, to really kill the unwanted potenital contimants. Either way, if it's lab grade UVC or not, I would caution with using that. But it really looks cool, it really lights up the room a purplish color (I see it as blue cause I'm colorblind though).

EDIT:
Re-read the UVC wand page, it's used in hospitals so it's probably reliable and safe.

Last edited:
I have a McCulloch and I really like it. It was the cheapest steam cleaner that had good ratings. It seems to do the job. A forum member brought up a point that it might not get to the critical temperature to kill coccidia though, which I can believe. I still rinse, wipe it down with clorox wipes, spray and wipe with virosan and rinse again before I do the steam clean. You have to let it warm up anyways. Might as well do that. As for the UV wand, it does sound tempting. I'm not sure if you want UVC near your animals, plants or yourself. When I was working in a lab during college, all the benches had UVC light and they could kill your cell samples easily (and they were human, mice, and rat cells). The weird thing is, we had to leave it on overnight and when not in use, to really kill the unwanted potenital contimants. Either way, if it's lab grade UVC or not, I would caution with using that. But it really looks cool, it really lights up the room a purplish color (I see it as blue cause I'm colorblind though).

EDIT:
Re-read the UVC wand page, it's used in hospitals so it's probably reliable and safe.

Steamed the cages this weekend and everything went well :) Steamer is still working for another 5 months that is. I took a look at acouple more this weekend.

i got an industrial steamer at work, its used to steam clean carpets, average temp on it is about 220.

i just blast it from 2"s away with massive amounts of hot water and steam...

my boss walked out and swa what i was doing...baffled. he just walked back inside! thats right boss GO back in side, you don't want none of this!

i got an industrial steamer at work, its used to steam clean carpets, average temp on it is about 220.

i just blast it from 2"s away with massive amounts of hot water and steam...

my boss walked out and swa what i was doing...baffled. he just walked back inside! thats right boss GO back in side, you don't want none of this!

LOL I want a industrial steamer!

Back
Top Bottom