Steam Bath

PrettyInInk87

I gave Hugh a steam bath today... I tried a shower but he was not having it. His urates are fine and so are his eyes but just wanted him to get a little extra hydration.

I did a search on steam baths but didn't get much of anything. Any info. on them for Chams would be awesome... What I did was turn the shower on with hot water and let it run. I closed both shower doors, set Hugh and his ficus on the sink, and closed the door. He was in there for about 10 minutes or less... It was nice and warm in the restroom with nice thick steam filling the restroom.

The reaction Hugh had was he just held on to his ficus and closed his eyes, he turned a really pretty light color like he was VERY relaxed.

I usually just throw a towel on the shower curtain rod/door and turn on the water. I stay in there to make sure no one falls though. Sometimes I will bring one in to sit on the towel while I'm showering. Of course you can't use soap with them in there, so I just put a plant outside the bathroom and put them on it while I'm washing my hair and what not with soap. :)

Closing eyes isn't good.

Yeah, I also thought about his eyes closing. Maybe it was a little too warm? Next time I try ill be sure and ease up on the temp of the water. He never closes his eyes during the day but with the steam bath he did.

No water... I tried a shower since last time I tried he was ok with it but this time he wasn't having it. I pulled him out of the shower right away and put him and his tree on the sink, turned the water to the warmer side, and let it steam up. He lightened up right away and just "chilled". Didn't look like he was stressed at all.

Light/bright colors don't always mean they are okay. It can also signal stress. All chameleons react differently and show stress in different ways.

Light/bright colors don't always mean they are okay. It can also signal stress. All chameleons react differently and show stress in different ways.

Well I do spend LOTS of time chilling in our bedroom observing Hugh so I am beginning to notice when he is calm or stressed. When I go in to take him out for cage cleaning his bars get REALLY dark and all around deepens his colors and when he is roaming around his cage his colors lighten up quite a bit... When he's basking he darkens up but more of a solid purple color. :) He's such a cutie... I think the water was a bit too warm but next time I try i'll be sure and ease up on the temp. Thank you ladies!:D

Back
Top Bottom