Staying on the ground?

Campy

I just got him a new cage, and now he wont do anything except sit on the ground, and not really move. I have picked him up a couple times and put him on branches higher up by the light and such. But he just goes back down and sits in a corner.

Is it because of the new cage and surroundings? Stressed? Leave him be for a bit other than watering/feeding? Probably those answers, but just wanted to bring it to you Pro's :-D lol...

Thanks in advance

Dont think so, I have a 150W tight beam bulb because the meshing is thick (Exo-Terra.. soft 24x24x48) On the other side of the cage I have a infared heat lamp... 100W I believe and a 10.0 24" Tube Lighting. Edit (Tube lighting is Repti-Sun 10.0 UVB)

Last edited:
Well, I ended up taking out the 150W bulb, just tested it, and it was about 110... lol.. Testing the 100W now, see where it is... What is a good temp? between 85-95?

Might be a bit to hot for him. However looking at his pic he looks old enough to take that high of temp... Just let him be for a while and move the light away... If he goes to the top with the cooler temp you know that is your problem.

I exchanged it for the 100W bulb. Seems to keep the temp about 95 or so. He has lots of room to climb at various heights. So I dont see that being the problem. I think it is because he is stressed. He shimmied himself in behind one of the pots. Think that is the tell tale sign. He is scared. I am going to let him be.

I have not been able to cover the plants dirt yet. Which has fertilizer in it.... Should i let him be for the next day or two and just hope he doesn't get into it? or should I get it covered immediately. He is quite pissed I believe...

I exchanged it for the 100W bulb. Seems to keep the temp about 95 or so. He has lots of room to climb at various heights. So I dont see that being the problem. I think it is because he is stressed. He shimmied himself in behind one of the pots. Think that is the tell tale sign. He is scared. I am going to let him be.

I have not been able to cover the plants dirt yet. Which has fertilizer in it.... Should i let him be for the next day or two and just hope he doesn't get into it? or should I get it covered immediately. He is quite pissed I believe...

A quick safe temporary way to cover that dirt is to jam paper towels over the dirt and around the base of the plant. Only takes a few seconds and hopefully wouldn't disturb the little guy too much.

That would have been a smarter idea. I decided to use saran?? wrap. It did the job until I get some rocks.

I would be carefull using saran wrap, it could get stuck on him and stress him out even more. If he eats something on the saran wrap you could be looking at some trouble. good luck

hey try some river rocks. your streams may be iced over this time of the year, but i know they sell bags at Home Depot for 3.50$. my veiled goes to the bottom of his cage all the time. he is testing the boundaries of his new cage I'm sure. i would shoot for 95 basking temp.

rocks that are too big for him to eat is good (michaels sell them too).
Or better yet get a white plastic canvas at wal mart. cut into diameter of the pot and cut a circle in the middle for the plant.

Well . Turns out Ramney? I think was right... The saran wrap was not a good idea. Saw him trying to 'drink' it.. he was chewing on it... lol.. so... needless to say i got in there pretty fast from the distance I was watching at and traded it all for papertowel.

Yeah, I am going to get rocks ASAP. Xmas... hard to get everything you need and things you want... lol

Well . Turns out Ramney? I think was right... The saran wrap was not a good idea. Saw him trying to 'drink' it.. he was chewing on it... lol.. so... needless to say i got in there pretty fast from the distance I was watching at and traded it all for papertowel.

Yeah, I am going to get rocks ASAP. Xmas... hard to get everything you need and things you want... lol

Whoa good timing, That could have been disasterous. If he was trying to drink it maybe you should get a drip system going or mist some of the plants, sounds like he is a little thirsty. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom