Staying cold at night

Chell

The last 2 days have been over 90 where I live. I have a Jackson female and I can not get her cage lower then 70 at night. I have ice packs on top of the cage. I also brought a portable ac that’s not helping. I don’t have normal windows to put a regular ac in. Even the day temps are high the top and middle temps are over 80 and the bottom is 78. I turn her basking light off at 10am and that’s still not helping. Any help would be appreciated.

I just had to buy one of the portable AC units that vents out the window with a tube and kit. Is this what you bought?

Black out curtains on windows help quite a bit for keeping the heat out as well.

How big is the room you are trying to cool ? Large temp swings are harder for us to create, but I am guessing you are running day and night to keep cool. If the AC is not cooling enough then likely it does not have the power for the size room it is in. Some options could be to move to a smaller room, if possible. but also what I have found is that the AC if the ac is sitting next to the cage, but facing the wall so the wind is dissipated, seems to do the best cooling for a specific area. This information comes from our chinchilla, he can't go above 75, he will die at 80 so we have to keep it cool. We have the free standing small ac that has the hose going out so no a window. It is a bedroom about 12x12 . When we were pointing different trying to cool the room the temps would still stay to high in the hot months. The way it is now as I described facing the wall I am able to keep the cage much cooler staying below 68 if I keep the door closed. The room itself is just a few degrees warmer.
As a thought the air coming out of the AC is likely 55f so 60-63 will be your bottom, but that is enough.

The chameleon is in the living room and the room is big. The only other room I could put her in would have been the kids play room. And most people on this site told me not to and to put her in the living room. Now I have a flimish rabbit in that room so there is no space to put the chameleon there. I can’t switch them. This just sucks so bad. She has been staying near the bottom during the day. And at night she moved her sleeping spot to the stick at the bottom. I did order a temp gun so I will be able to check the temp better

The chameleon is in the living room and the room is big. The only other room I could put her in would have been the kids play room. And most people on this site told me not to and to put her in the living room. Now I have a flimish rabbit in that room so there is no space to put the chameleon there. I can’t switch them. This just sucks so bad. She has been staying near the bottom during the day. And at night she moved her sleeping spot to the stick at the bottom. I did order a temp gun so I will be able to check the temp better
That is hard. It is doable, mess with angles of the AC, try like a pull around curtin that will help contain the AC air. You just have to get creative, you have what you need just have to figure out the config that works.

The last 2 days have been over 90 where I live. I have a Jackson female and I can not get her cage lower then 70 at night. I have ice packs on top of the cage. I also brought a portable ac that’s not helping. I don’t have normal windows to put a regular ac in. Even the day temps are high the top and middle temps are over 80 and the bottom is 78. I turn her basking light off at 10am and that’s still not helping. Any help would be appreciated.
Is this portable AC an evaporative cooler? If so, they're less expensive, but IME, can't compete with a real AC unit.

What kind of windows?

That is hard. It is doable, mess with angles of the AC, try like a pull around curtin that will help contain the AC air. You just have to get creative, you have what you need just have to figure out the config that works.
+1. Similar to a humidity envelope some folks have to create by wrapping their enclosure in something akin to a shower curtain. The same thing can be done with quilted fabric available at places like Joann Fabrics or many online purveyors, then pipe the cool air in via something like vinyl dryer duct. This can be done in such a way as to (relatively) easily put it on for nighttime and remove it during the day.

Is this portable AC an evaporative cooler? If so, they're less expensive, but IME, can't compete with a real AC unit.

What kind of windows?

+1. Similar to a humidity envelope some folks have to create by wrapping their enclosure in something akin to a shower curtain. The same thing can be done with quilted fabric available at places like Joann Fabrics or many online purveyors, then pipe the cool air in via something like vinyl dryer duct. This can be done in such a way as to (relatively) easily put it on for nighttime and remove it during the day.
Yes it’s the cooler. My windows are tall and skinny. And open with a handle

Yes it’s the cooler. My windows are tall and skinny. And open with a handle
Evaporative coolers have their niche, but I've never seen one that actually lived up to its claims/hype.

Those sound like casement widows or something very similar; we have a casement box window in our great room. ('Great room'... HAH! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:)

Anyhoo, there are always (usually) ways of doing things...
air conditioners for casement windows

Yes that’s kind of what I have. I did have one of those ac but it didn’t work at all cause the room is so big. so I traded with my sister for the cooler ac. Also like what time is the temp drop supposed to happen? Cause her lights go off at 830 and the last 2 days the temp is over 70 till around 12-1 then after that it does drop to 60-65 I have both front room windows open. Both kitchen windows and the back door I keep open till 3am when my niece goes to bed she shuts it. Everyone says a night temp drop but they never say like right away or can it be in the middle of the night

A temp of around 65 and below at 12-1 in the morning should be sufficient. I usually start cranking down the temp on my portable AC an hour or two before lights out to simulate the sun going down. What time are you starting the humidifier at? Just make sure the temps in the cage are around 65 and below before starting the humidifier. I put mine on a timer to start fogging around 1p.m. Preferably the temp starts going down when the lights go off or a little before. But some people wait until later.

I also got a thermostat for my portable AC unit so I don't have to manually do it. Here it is if you are interested. Make sure your unit fits the watt/voltage requirement.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7NYY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok so I did a big no no then. Her fogger I do turn on as soon as her lights go off. So thank you for letting me know. I will now only turn it on when the temp drops more at night.

Back
Top Bottom