Staying at bottom of cage while outside?

Calypso

Ok, so first thing that comes to mind is he's too hot. Well here in WV it never gets to 90 and is about 80 right now. So that doesn't make sense. Then you would think, well maybe he's ill. Well he's constantly running around the screen siding on the bottom. So all the movement makes me scratch that. The only thing I can think of is he wants to get out of his cage to explore. What are y'alls thoughts? Should I be worried? He usually sheds on warmer days when he's out.

Yeah, so it can't be the heat because the sun is going down now, and I can't imagine it's warmer than 75. The weird thing is I thought he'd get cold, but he's not even going into his bask where I set up his regular lights...

He might just be exploring since he's "outside". I'm sure his senses tell him he's somewhere else so he's just being curious. Maybe trying to find shade, food, etc. aswell

and "are you sure it's a boy?" It's a question a lot of people may ask, but it can be a possibility your boy is a girl.

lol Yes, he's a boy. If he was a girl, he'd be the most colorful female Ambilobe I've ever seen. Its not the pic of the chameleon I have as my icon. That was just my first.

I would say he's trying to explore, but I take him outside and leave him all day about twice a week. He usually stays in the sunniest spots so I don't think it's shade either. Food maybe, but he tends to stay on just the one side. I did some times keep Phoenix worms down there, but that was only because he was spending so much time there already. It's a real head scratcher.

if you have some free time i would take him out and just let him explore a little bit under close supervision. my jackson loved to walk around outside but kinda hated being in a cage while outside.

All my chams do the same, I believe they know they are outside and are trying to get out and find a mate.
It's the most logical explaination I can think of. :confused:

if you have some free time i would take him out and just let him explore a little bit under close supervision. my jackson loved to walk around outside but kinda hated being in a cage while outside.

That's a good idea, my guyz love to run free in my back yard.
Only make sure you are walking right behind them, and adult veiled cham can really surprise you and bolt! making you run your lungs out trying to catch him!!
Jacksons cant run as fast, but panthers can also 'take off' all of a sudden
and without any warning.
Just make sure they have lots of space incase you need to chase him down :eek:

Ok perfect! I'm glad my guy isn't the only one. He definitely loves to roam around. He makes some mad dashes now and then for freedom, but I try to stay pretty close. One time I was looking at my phone too long, and before I knew it he was gone. Thanks to the grace of God I was able to locate him due to hearing a bit of rustling in a near by bush. Man talk about PANIC! He always wants to get out of the cage. Every time I try to hand feed the past few weeks he just seems more interested in getting out and climbing around. Oh well. I guess you can't control hormones.

Back
Top Bottom