Statue Mode

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Is statue mode a typical Cham behavior. When hunting food, Carmelo Cham becomes statuesque. He does a mannequin pose for 5 or more minutes. He even maintains the pose after he captures his food.

Attachments

• 20221217_111349.jpg
    20221217_111349.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 38
I believe chams are more like ambush predators and wait for the food to get near to them rather than go out and actively search for it. If you are setting the feeders loose in his enclosure, then it would make sense for him to be still as he waits for more bugs to get closer to him. I use feeding stations and my chams will come running to it when they see me filling it. When I give them flying bsfl, I get mixed reactions. My boy veiled Hammlet will freeze when he sees me and will slowly try to become one with his branch.

I believe chams are more like ambush predators and wait for the food to get near to them rather than go out and actively search for it. If you are setting the feeders loose in his enclosure, then it would make sense for him to be still as he waits for more bugs to get closer to him. I use feeding stations and my chams will come running to it when they see me filling it. When I give them flying bsfl, I get mixed reactions. My boy veiled Hammlet will freeze when he sees me and will slowly try to become one with his branch.
I do set the crickets free. He prefers the ambush mode. However, I love the TK feeder. It allows me to introduce and corral creepy crawlers (dubia, flightless fruit flies, and silkworms.) I'm really not creepy crawler friendly but I'm living life on the edge for this guy. In fact, I hate all of the feeders. I have bsfl in the refrigerator. I'm afraid to open the tub and I definitely don't want them to fly.🤣

I really hate Hornedworms. They are sooo aggressive, whipping and thrashing around when I pick them up. They grow at the speed of light. I remove the food before they out grow the container. Carmelo Cham bit into a hornedworm and spewed hornworm juice all over my face.🤮

I do set the crickets free. He prefers the ambush mode. However, I love the TK feeder. It allows me to introduce and corral creepy crawlers (dubia, flightless fruit flies, and silkworms.) I'm really not creepy crawler friendly but I'm living life on the edge for this guy. In fact, I hate all of the feeders. I have bsfl in the refrigerator. I'm afraid to open the tub and I definitely don't want them to fly.🤣
This is another rite of passage - getting comfortable with creepy crawlers. I have always hated and feared bugs. If they don’t make me scream like a little girl and run away, I’ve been ending their icky little lives. However, after over 3 years of having to deal with them, my perspective has changed. Even though I still won’t touch an adult roach, I do respect them and actually enjoy watching when I feed them and try to give them things I know they like. Same for most other bugs too and many I’ve tried my hand at breeding my own. Btw, bsfl don’t do well in the fridge. I think they tend to die.

This is another rite of passage - getting comfortable with creepy crawlers. I have always hated and feared bugs. If they don’t make me scream like a little girl and run away, I’ve been ending their icky little lives. However, after over 3 years of having to deal with them, my perspective has changed. Even though I still won’t touch an adult roach, I do respect them and actually enjoy watching when I feed them and try to give them things I know they like. Same for most other bugs too and many I’ve tried my hand at breeding my own. Btw, bsfl don’t do well in the fridge. I think they tend to die.
Opps, I will check on the bsfl. Caring for this guy has challenged my family and neighbors with new experiences. A few months ago I would have never touched, picked up, or purchased a Chameleon. Today, my neighbors came over for Chameleon sitter training. We reviewed all things Carmelo Cham. The session ended with the Dad, 12 year old boy, and 9 year old girl holding Carmelo. We reviewed how to hold him and how to identify his stress level. It was a fun 1 hour session with hands on for about 30 minutes. We are giving this guy his best life.

Opps, I will check on the bsfl. Caring for this guy has challenged my family and neighbors with new experiences. A few months ago I would have never touched, picked up, or purchased a Chameleon. Today, my neighbors came over for Chameleon sitter training. We reviewed all things Carmelo Cham. The session ended with the Dad, 12 year old boy, and 9 year old girl holding Carmelo. We reviewed how to hold him and how to identify his stress level. It was a fun 1 hour session with hands on for about 30 minutes. We are giving this guy his best life.
I absolutely love hearing things like this. 💗 It’s awesome when we challenge not only ourselves, but share and pass that on to others. As Bill Strand says…learn. Understand. Pass it on.;)

Back
Top Bottom