Starting to get concerned

The issue with what your dusting with is it only has D3, you aren't providing any sort of necessary vitamins for him in a readily available form. Unless your gutload is amazing. And you aren't supposed to use the D3 more than every 3 feedings. Which makes me wonder if some of his symptoms are intoxication.

The issue with what your dusting with is it only has D3, you aren't providing any sort of necessary vitamins for him in a readily available form. Unless your gutload is amazing. And you aren't supposed to use the D3 more than every 3 feedings. Which makes me wonder if some of his symptoms are intoxication.

He last ate on the 19th and all the food was dusted with that but because he eats so little can it still cause intoxication? We gut load the insects with lettuce, carrot, kale most of the time

idk, it depends on his average eating behaviors, I mean this time he didn't poop for around a month and you said that was abnormal for even him. I personally would switch to Repashy Calcium plus because of his issues with eating. Calcium plus has all necessary vitamins and minerals and you can give it every feeding.

idk, it depends on his average eating behaviors, I mean this time he didn't poop for around a month and you said that was abnormal for even him. I personally would switch to Repashy Calcium plus because of his issues with eating. Calcium plus has all necessary vitamins and minerals and you can give it every feeding.

Yeah it looks much better than the one we are using now

And lately he has been getting off of his free range , onto my bed, onto the ground, and then back up to my roommates bed. I have to watch him. He is an adventurous one. He also has had a lot of sperm plugs recently so I'm wondering if he is wanting to breed.

I have a lot of adult males and have never had a sperm plug. I would suggest a Vitamin A deficiency is more likely the cause of sperm plugs than "wanting to breed" is. Vitamin A is involved in shedding and replacement of cells all over the body, including tiny tubes in places like kidneys, pancreas, and reproductive tracts.

Many reptile vitamins use Beta Carotene, which chameleons can't convert to usable Vitamin A. Their food is low in Vitamin A (crickets don't have livers). Add that vitamins start to lose their potency within a very few months of manufacture. I use human-grade Vitamin-A.

This is the best pictures of the cut I could get and the powder we dust with every feeding

I haven't a clue what is going on, but everything about him looks unhealthy to me.

He has really poor color. His skin looks awful. His eyes are sunken in. His feet are a mess.

He has no feet/claws to grab any branches with and your cage is full of slick polished things. Get some deeply grooved bark covered branches in there for him. Did you put him in a cage with sharp wire?

If he has been kept in too dry conditions, it can affect his shed. I have a Calumma malthe that was kept at the importers for months in too hot and too dry conditions. It took me 9 or 10 months to get a shed, and when he finally shed it was really thick. He's had about five shed since than and his skin is finally starting to look better.

I think you need to go back to square one on your husbandry because he just looks so unhealthy for such a young chameleon. The first thing to do is increase his misting times. If you don't have an automatic mister, now is the time to get one. Invest in a decent one from MistKing. It will only cost you about $150 with a few extra things like extra nozzles, tubing and a tube cutter. I think a mister is a necessity for all chameleons, even panthers and veileds.

Good luck.

He last ate on the 19th and all the food was dusted with that but because he eats so little can it still cause intoxication? We gut load the insects with lettuce, carrot, kale most of the time

He needs to go to a vet if he isn't eating. Something is terribly wrong.

The whole right arm like kind of funny to me...swollen.
I'm concerned that he might have a systemic infection...but I'm not a vet...it's just my best guess.

Last edited:
Your right Kinyonga (wasn't looking at the arm earlier) I definitely see it in the forearm. Not sure about the bicep? thigh? o_O Idk, I also agree with @jajeanpierre on certain points (he doesn't look dehydrated to me) but he looks dull and his skin kind of looks... pale? like he needs to shed.

Your right Kinyonga (wasn't looking at the arm earlier) I definitely see it in the forearm. Not sure about the bicep? thigh? o_O Idk, I also agree with @jajeanpierre on certain points (he doesn't look dehydrated to me) but he looks dull and his skin kind of looks... pale? like he needs to shed.

Yes as I said before he usually is really bright coloured but as he needs to shed desperately they are darkened

Just went back and looked at your first photos in this thread and the arm didn't look swollen like that in the first photo....was that an old photo?

If the arm has changed that much and is now swollen in that short a time then you need to be concerned about it and take it to a vet.

But I don't get where you think it looks swollen? To me his arms haven't changed this photo was taken yesterday

Attachments

• _20170427_210857.JPG
    _20170427_210857.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Ohh I see what you mean and I think it was just the angle his arm was at as it looks fine when he is walking

Honestly, he looks awful for a one-year old panther needing to shed or not. His skin is falling off his legs and it doesn't look like a shed. Look at the hind right knee of the first picture you sent and the picture of his right leg in the second group. I think @kinyonga is on to something--it very well might be a systemic infection.

@Andee Look at how sunken into the eye socket his eyes are--the hollow ring around his eyeball. Look at how you can see the ligaments/spine at the base of the tail. You might be being fooled by the blurry photo and how full his casque appears. I also think he has edema as his casque looks bloated on the top and behind. That can't be a fat pad based on how the rest of his body works.

Back
Top Bottom