Starting to get cold..

marthanova

Is it safe to have the fogger on at night as well as a heater since the room is cold ? I don’t want to make my chameleon sick with being hot/cold.

How cold is the room getting? And why can't the room stay cold?

But yes, if the room temperature is cold, and you have the heater on in the room running on a thermostat at a low temp (e.g set to 60F), then you should be fine. Just make sure that the heater is pointed far away from the cage. I used to have a heater on in my room last winter, set to 60F, and my chameleon was fine and did not get an RI. This winter I am letting my room get a lot colder without a heater. I open my window 30min-1hr before lights out to start cooling the room. And when I go to sleep, I close my window a bit (but still leave it slightly open). My mattress feels like an icepack when I lie down.

If you can, let the room get colder during the winter, but if you can't, I would make sure to set the heater around 60 degrees or lower.

They make heated mattress covers!
You mean electric blankets? :rolleyes:

The first electric blanket was invented in 1912 by an American inventor named Samuel Irwin Russell, but it was used under the bed instead of on top. The first electric blanket that you could actually snuggle under wasn’t available until the 1930s, and they didn’t really take off until after World War II, when Americans had money for extras like blankets you plug into a wall...
https://verlo.com/blog/sleeping-with-electric-blankets-awesome-or-outdated/
... and exotic pets like chameleons. 😁

The temp part. I doubt it is too cold. Even panthers will want it down to 65 if you can. Most others we keep will be montaine and not only like but benefit from cold nights. I pump in cold outside air, diffused of course, but I shoot for 60 and 100% for Veiled . I would not be afraid of temps down to 50. So unless you house is colder than that. The seasonal drops a natural for many so having a "winter time" is beneficial.

Hi everyone I have a panther. His cage it’s to 65 at the bottom and around 70 up top but I run a somewhat cold humidifier while the heater is one I just don’t want him to get sick from the cold/hot air

I know, it’s implied in the name

Is that during the day, night, or both?

During the day his basking spot is anywhere from 79-85 sometimes it goes up to 90
But I only run the humidifier at night to rise the humidity up along with a fogger and I have the heater on for myself because I get cold at night lol I just don’t want to make him sick

During the day his basking spot is anywhere from 79-85 sometimes it goes up to 90
But I only run the humidifier at night to rise the humidity up along with a fogger and I have the heater on for myself because I get cold at night lol I just don’t want to make him sick
How old is he? 85*F is the recommended max for basking for male adults. Though if he’s too cold, you can bump it up 86-87*F, and if he’s too hot, lower the wattage and/or raise the bulb further away. Most keepers stay between 80-85*F for their males’ basking spots (measured where his casque/top of his back is when he’s on his basking branch). How do you measure his temps? Precise temps are crucial for a chameleon’s health! His humidity levels during the day should be bretween 50-60/70% and up to 100% at night. 65*F is perfect for a nighttime temp drop! No heater needed! Have you checked out The Chameleon Academy yet? They have the most up-to-date and accurate info!

How often do you clean his fogger and its tubes (and anything else used)? Where is the output tube for the fogger placed on his cage?

How old is he? 85*F is the recommended max for basking for male adults. Though if he’s too cold, you can bump it up 86-87*F, and if he’s too hot, lower the wattage and/or raise the bulb further away. Most keepers stay between 80-85*F for their males’ basking spots (measured where his casque/top of his back is when he’s on his basking branch). How do you measure his temps? Precise temps are crucial for a chameleon’s health! His humidity levels during the day should be bretween 50-60/70% and up to 100% at night. 65*F is perfect for a nighttime temp drop! No heater needed! Have you checked out The Chameleon Academy yet? They have the most up-to-date and accurate info!

Hi thank you ! I switch out his basking bulb from 50w or 75w depending how high it gets currently his basking spot during the day is between 79-81 before it was getting higher closer to 85-90 so I changed the wattage. He’s about 7 months now, and he wasn’t eating as much the last two days but today he finished his food. During the day his humidity is 55 at the bottom and up to 60 up top and 60-70 at night which is why I started to use the humidifier.

Hi thank you ! I switch out his basking bulb from 50w or 75w depending how high it gets currently his basking spot during the day is between 79-81 before it was getting higher closer to 85-90 so I changed the wattage. He’s about 7 months now, and he wasn’t eating as much the last two days but today he finished his food. During the day his humidity is 55 at the bottom and up to 60 up top and 60-70 at night which is why I started to use the humidifier.
Getting a precise temp is crucial. The basking spot (where the top of his back is) should be anywhere from 80-85*F (whichever he’s most comfortable with- not too hot and not too cold). Is the humidifier a whole room humidifier or does it have tubes and is only used in his cage?
I’ve only had it for about a month and I’ve cleaned it twice
Cleaning a cage fogger/cool mist or ultrasonic humidifier propearly a minimum of 1-2x a week thoroughly is recommended (including any tubes or any other accessories you use).

Back
Top Bottom