Starting to get a bit concerned

Char333p

Avid Member
I’ll post my husbandry shortly, so started maybe a week ago i found my chameleon in the dirt in a pot near the bottom of the enclosure, thought to myself okay one time thing no biggy, I put him back up, he basked and looked fine for 4 days. He appears hydrated his eyes don’t look sunken, I’m at work right now but when I get home gonna look for some urates. He’s about 3 years old. This morning I found him on the bottom of the enclosure. So I moved him back to top,

my main concern is he hasn’t touched food in close to a week. Wondering if there could be any other reasons besides husbandry that could be wrong. I feed him Dubia and super worms. Calc without d3 almost every feed calc with d3 once every 2 weeks along with vitamins

Just anybody who’s been through the same thing you might have an idea what could be wrong? I will post pics later and fill out care sheet

We will be able to help once we can know all of your care info. Be sure to also post pics of your enclosure and chameleon. Chameleons will climb down to the bottom of their enclosure. It's only an issue when they hang down there all day and are unable to climb back up on their own.

To my relief he finally ate! I guess he found it hard to get to with the leaves in his enclosure blocking the bowl a bit, but now that he did eat I think he will gain his energy back. Just have a photo of him I took earlier, did look a bit skinny

he’s nosy faly I believe.
I’ll keep a closer eye on him till he mends fully
So busy I’ll fill out entire sheet sooon
Good part tho he finally ate

Attachments

• B2F4810B-E902-4BD7-B6F7-4422F882D324.jpeg
    B2F4810B-E902-4BD7-B6F7-4422F882D324.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 95
To my relief he finally ate! I guess he found it hard to get to with the leaves in his enclosure blocking the bowl a bit, but now that he did eat I think he will gain his energy back. Just have a photo of him I took earlier, did look a bit skinny

he’s nosy faly I believe.
I’ll keep a closer eye on him till he mends fully
So busy I’ll fill out entire sheet sooon
Good part tho he finally ate
He is still sick, he looks horrible and if you care about this chameleon then you will fill out the husbandry sheet

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

He didn't look like this 2 weeks ago, his coloring was good his weight was good, please, don't think I am neglecting my time to him.He wasn't interested in eating for close to week maybe a day or 2 more, which I why I got concerned and reaching out for help, I did weeks of research before getting him and had him over 3 years. There is something going on with him as you can see, on the plus side, I DID GET HIM TO EAT, yesterday. I gave him 2 medium gut loaded dubia, and a few super worms because they're his fav.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Nosy Faly, Male, and around 3. How long has it been in your care, since 5 months old.
  • Handling - Hardly EVER.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Dubia Roaches, Medium to Large very other day ( gut loaded ) Super worms around 4 or so every 3 days.
  • Supplements - Reptivite Multi / Repti Calcium (1 with d3 one without) Calcium with out d3 almost every feed. with d3 once every 2 weeks as well as multi vita.
  • Watering - He has a auto mister, two nozzles, one does middle of enclosure one near the top, every 4 hours for 2 minutes, and I also mist 2 to 3x daily because I notice he likes drinking from the screen, sometimes ill stand there for 15 mins an he lets me mist right onto his tongue
  • Fecal Description - Normal constancy firm but silky, urates, white / little edge of pale orange, that was a week ago I need to inspect his cage when I get home today. for more recent. No parasite testing yet.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. ----- Thriving until recently

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Dragon strand - clear enclosure so top is screen and one full Side. ( its 2'x2'x4'
  • Lighting - Arcadia UVB Tropical 6% (ill have to double check %) 24 inches long recently changed 3 months ago. UVB is also with LED lights just to make enclosure brighter, Basking light
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created - Cage floor is high 68- basking is 82-84, I have multiple digital thermometers close to the basking spot and near the bottom of enclosure.
  • Humidity - Morning since I try to let the cage dry a bit overnight since I don't have drainage, drops to 48% - low 50s% During day id say I keep humidity high 70s-mid 80s, I know it should be a bit higher. Have a hygrometer but it is close to basking spot I should prob relocate that to middle of enclosure that may be why it shows lower percent.?
  • Plants - only pothos vines, and they have created thick leaves so he can hide from light if need be.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? ( Enclosure in my office, LOW traffic. no air vents nearby. the top of the enclosure is well above my head / the bottom is around my waist. So if he's in the top area of enclosure which he usually is he is well above my head.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Long Island, New York

• sorry forgot to add lighting times I try to keep it on summer late spring times of sunrise n sunset around 7am to around 830 pm

• Any advice to any changes in husbandry please I’m open to suggestions.

Last edited:
He didn't look like this 2 weeks ago, his coloring was good his weight was good, please, don't think I am neglecting him cause I am not. He wasn't interested in eating for close to week maybe a day or 2 more, which I why I got concerned and reaching out for help, I did weeks of research before getting him and had him over 3 years. There is something going on with him as you can see, on the plus side, I DID GET HIM TO EAT, yesterday. I gave him 2 medium gut loaded dubia, and a few super worms because they're his fav.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Nosy Faly, Male, and around 3. How long has it been in your care, since 5 months old.
  • Handling - Hardly EVER.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Dubia Roaches, Medium to Large very other day ( gut loaded ) Super worms around 4 or so every 3 days.
  • Supplements - Reptivite Multi / Repti Calcium (1 with d3 one without) Calcium with out d3 almost every feed. with d3 once every 2 weeks as well as multi vita.
  • Watering - He has a auto mister, two nozzles, one does middle of enclosure one near the top, every 4 hours for 2 minutes, and I also mist 2 to 3x daily because I notice he likes drinking from the screen, sometimes ill stand there for 15 mins an he lets me mist right onto his tongue
  • Fecal Description - Normal constancy firm but silky, urates, white / little edge of pale orange, that was a week ago I need to inspect his cage when I get home today. for more recent. No parasite testing yet.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. ----- Thriving until recently

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Dragon strand - clear enclosure so top is screen and one full Side. ( its 2'x2'x4'
  • Lighting - Arcadia UVB Tropical 6% (ill have to double check %) 24 inches long recently changed 3 months ago. UVB is also with LED lights just to make enclosure brighter, Basking light
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created - Cage floor is high 68- basking is 82-84, I have multiple digital thermometers close to the basking spot and near the bottom of enclosure.
  • Humidity - Morning since I try to let the cage dry a bit overnight since I don't have drainage, drops to 48% - low 50s% During day id say I keep humidity high 70s-mid 80s, I know it should be a bit higher. Have a hygrometer but it is close to basking spot I should prob relocate that to middle of enclosure that may be why it shows lower percent.?
  • Plants - only pothos vines, and they have created thick leaves so he can hide from light if need be.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? ( Enclosure in my office, LOW traffic. no air vents nearby. the top of the enclosure is well above my head / the bottom is around my waist. So if he's in the top area of enclosure which he usually is he is well above my head.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Long Island, New York

• sorry forgot to add lighting times I try to keep it on summer late spring times of sunrise n sunset around 7am to around 830 pm
I can definitely see you care about your little friend, and that you are not neglecting him. Nothing about your husbandry sticks out to me. It looks pretty much good. A couple small things I notice, but doesn't have anything to do with his current state. Humidity could be switched. I would only mist a couple times during the day and let the enclosure dry out during the day, and provide as close to 100% humidity as possible at night. Have you recently gotten a fecal check for him? It might be worth it to check that out.

Do you have a picture you can post of the entire enclosure?

I can definitely see you care about your little friend, and that you are not neglecting him. Nothing about your husbandry sticks out to me. It looks pretty much good. A couple small things I notice, but doesn't have anything to do with his current state. Humidity could be switched. I would only mist a couple times during the day and let the enclosure dry out during the day, and provide as close to 100% humidity as possible at night. Have you recently gotten a fecal check for him? It might be worth it to check that out.

Do you have a picture you can post of the entire enclosure?
Thanks, I do care about him a lot, even risking my job for him being late in the morning to make sure he's in a good spot when he wasn't looking so well and a lethargic. I did not have a fecal done, I try to reproduce my own dubia,, but your right they could cary parasites. ill look into that, ill also take your suggestion for night time. I really want to bring him into the true sunlight soon but its been really icky outside past few days. Do you think I should put him in the shower and give him a 15 min misting ? Ill get pics. as soon as I can ,, at work right now.

Thanks, I do care about him a lot, even risking my job for him being late in the morning to make sure he's in a good spot when he wasn't looking so well and a lethargic. I did not have a fecal done, I try to reproduce my own dubia,, but your right they could cary parasites. ill look into that, ill also take your suggestion for night time. I really want to bring him into the true sunlight soon but its been really icky outside past few days. Do you think I should put him in the shower and give him a 15 min misting ? Ill get pics. as soon as I can ,, at work right now.
I wouldn't give him a shower. It can be very stressful. It doesn't sound like he is dehydrated.
Maybe @kinyonga has some insight.

Can you please post a couple more photos so I can see all of him from both sides and in an area that is light ?

I wouldn't give him a shower. It can be very stressful. It doesn't sound like he is dehydrated.
Maybe @kinyonga has some insight.
Ran home for lunch Please don’t mind the dead leaves I just cleaned them out, do you think it’s too over grown should I cute some vines? And he got some color back today he’s loooking little more his color,

how do his limbs look? When I picked him up to move him a few days ago his grip was still decent but trust me I know I need to give him a more watchful eye then normal since he does look thin still an bit weaker then normal, just gave him 3 more dubia, gonna feed him every day until he seems like he has his strength back up. But I think I’ll schedule a vet apt

every chance I get I wet the screen side of the enclosure in 2 spots where I usually catch him drinking not necessarily a full misting I just know he loves drinking from the screen. So I try to have the screen holes filled with water bubbles when so he always sees water

Attachments

• AF8B219B-A779-46CC-BDDD-C90699A212F2.jpeg
    AF8B219B-A779-46CC-BDDD-C90699A212F2.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 71
  • F91A0870-EB47-46CD-84F9-1C8A337FC50B.jpeg
    F91A0870-EB47-46CD-84F9-1C8A337FC50B.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 8B33A085-D0C4-49EA-8094-C80523E4D7B1.jpeg
    8B33A085-D0C4-49EA-8094-C80523E4D7B1.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 78
  • DFF4C503-17F8-4CC2-83AA-3BF827260438.jpeg
    DFF4C503-17F8-4CC2-83AA-3BF827260438.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 3978C415-D724-4803-AF2F-869052B08B4D.jpeg
    3978C415-D724-4803-AF2F-869052B08B4D.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 777D9361-D15B-4668-B2AC-FCBC0DF74539.jpeg
    777D9361-D15B-4668-B2AC-FCBC0DF74539.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
He looks older than three to me...do you know for sure that's his age?
Does he have some bumps on the right hand that aren't on the other hand?

I’m sure he’s definitely younger then 4 I’ll have to look into when I got him exactly I think it was June 2018 and he was roughly 6 months old a speedy little thing size of my hand minus tail

I’m back at work I’ll look into any bumps, what would the bumps mean if he had them? I never noticed them two weeks ago he was pretty smooth all around

you talking about right on top below his “spine” forget technical term

Back
Top Bottom