Starting shed?

Baby girl....? Has been lazy all day and would get a pale spot on the base of her tail and then also on her spin and top of head but when I would got to get a picture she would get cranky and they would go away I saw her use her back foot to rub her side twice and she also went to sleep a little early tonight do the symptoms/pictures sound/look like she's starting a shed?

Last edited:
As babies they grow they go through "rapid growth " they shed frequent vs when they're grown it slows down a lot same if their sick they don't shed all together (like your bearded dragons for ex. ) they exfoliate their skin in patches you might see the baby scratching himself in the branches to get the old skin off that hasn't flaked off Have you tried listing with warm water to help the process? I sheded skin can cause bacterial infections you have the right lights correct ? Uvb and UVA to help maintain the appropriate homeostasis you also make sure the baby is hydrated as well right ? The skin is a wall for the organs etc so try helping by listing with warm water take it out in the sun don't peel it yourself the nerves are very sensitive

I have a zoo med infrared bulb 10 watt the temp up top for basking goes between 90-95 then I have a reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb for water I have a cup that drips and my humidifier drops condensation as well the leaves below those stay wet I also spray about every 30 min with warm water there are no white spots but it will get light colored on the base of the tail along the spine and the top of its head the skin has started to look dry or maybe ashy describes it kind of but when I got to look at herthe spots got away and the dry look stays but she sometimes will go try to sit close to the humidifier I put her in the shower with warm water and a plant to see if she would drink but she hates getting wet but when I put the plant back in the cage I turned it differently and she's come down to winder around I think she may have been getting a drink (fingers crossed) she didn't really seem to want to wonder around very much before

100 not 10 I also have a night bulb cause it gets chilly in our house at night the temp gets around 80 where she likes to go sleep

No light at night, it will disrupt her sleep. Chams need dark at night. The set their inner clock by the lighting schedule. A temp drop is good for their metabolism and general health. If it drops too far below 60 then you can get a ceramic heater bulb that puts off no light. But really if it's comfortable for you to sleep then it should be ok for her too.

Also spraying every 30 min is not necessary. Just maintain the humidity in the cage. Once you back down the temp the frequency that you spray should decrease as well. 2-4 times a day for a few min or more at a time

I spray my cage I do it for 2-3 mins I have a humidifier to maintain humidity I'm not sure if you'd need a warm mist or cool mist I have a cool mist because I have a Jackson they're from the mountains I use a 60 watt for his UVA to keep his temp at 75-80 when I had a juvenile veiled I used a 40 watt to keep it at 70-75 90-95 is WAY to hot for the baby and will fry it, that is possible it can also burn the baby the spot on its skin might be from being to hot you don't want to cause any trouble with the shedding Bc like I said left over skin they can't shed will cause bacterial infection and will shot their immune system down never leave food in the cage 24-7 take them out before it's time for they're resting period (night) incest bites can also cause shedding problems gut stuff with greens kale spinach only do carrots 1 time a week apples maybe once a month calcium without d3 every feeding calcium with d3 twice a month same with reptive and multivitamin

OK thanks I have another bulb that is 60watt I will use tomorrow I cut the light off tonight to see how that goes for she I snuck and checked the temp it seems ok so far the bulb I was using at night is a red bulb that kept the temp in the 70s she seems to really like how the tree was moved she seemed to go down to the drip earlier I think she may have drank I couldn't see that good and didn't want to disturb her by moving but she was also walking up and down a branch I was wondering if maybe her sides were starting to itch but I haven't seen her shed I'm just happy she seems to have drunk I was worried thanks again to both of you for the advice

Oh I put her food inside in the morning after she wakes up and take it out a little after lunch I have cut load for the crickets and I use calcium every feeding I also I have the calcium with d3 that I have only used once so far and the vitamin dust I used a very little bit a couple times

OK thanks I have another bulb that is 60watt I will use tomorrow I cut the light off tonight to see how that goes for she I snuck and checked the temp it seems ok so far the bulb I was using at night is a red bulb that kept the temp in the 70s she seems to really like how the tree was moved she seemed to go down to the drip earlier I think she may have drank I couldn't see that good and didn't want to disturb her by moving but she was also walking up and down a branch I was wondering if maybe her sides were starting to itch but I haven't seen her shed I'm just happy she seems to have drunk I was worried thanks again to both of you for the advice

Looks like you are in the right track as far as lights go now. even a red bulb will disrupt the sleep.

If you don't mind filling out the how to ask for help form that is under the Health Clinic that would help us to see if there is anything else that we can help you with. It's a good idea to have others look over your husbandry from time to time just in case they see something you might have missed. The form is in a stickied thread under Health Clinic. Just copy and paste the questions in a reply here and go in and fill it out.

@Haileybug
What you write is sooo confusing and you use so many post doing so... :confused:
Most of the information isn't even complete from what I can tell.

I spray my cage I do it for 2-3 mins
2-3 mins? a day? on a (Jackson's) Chameleon?

@Gingerzombie ,
Your cham is still young so it will shed over his whole body at once, it's likely you miss this happening when you're at work (like me :() or at school...
Mine has grown quite a bit in the last 4 months, yet I only witnessed him shed skin twice! (I swear he waits until I leave the room to do any of the interesting stuff).
When you notice he's scratching it will likely mean the old skin is itchy and he's about to shed...
When he gets older shedding will take longer to complete so you will notice it.

About the basking temperature (and all other care)... I'd recommend sticking to the caresheet: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
There are multiple variables that will determine what wattage lamp you need so it will be up to you to figure that out...
If you can get your hands on an IR thermometer (7$-ish on aliexpress, fairly accurate, crappy display) that'll be best since it measures surface temperature instead of air temperature (keep in mind your cham has to go in between surface and spot. ;)).
Personally I'm a fan of hanging the lamps on a chain from the ceiling since you can easily raise or lower them if temperatures change.

Also, most likely, you will not need a 'special' UVA spot since the UVB lamp will also provide UVA... I'm not 100% sure if this is true for all UVB lamps so you may want to check on the one you have but the ones I came across all provide UVA.
You can then use any lamp that provides sufficient heat as basking spot.

On humidity you can use a humidifier as an addition to normal misting, this will help especially if you're in location with low humidity but can in no way be a replacement for frequent misting.

Oh I put her food inside in the morning after she wakes up and take it out a little after lunch I have cut load for the crickets and I use calcium every feeding I also I have the calcium with d3 that I have only used once so far and the vitamin dust I used a very little bit a couple times
Sounds good.. Dusting should be done lightly so that's ok..

I think most people supplement as follows:
1 week: 6days calcium without D3, 1day Calcium with D3,
the next week: 6days caclcium without D3, 1day Vitamin supplement.
repeat.
You may want to check if the vitamin supplement also contains D3, if so you can skip the calcium with D3 and just do calcium without.

Hope this helps you in any way!(y)

@Haileybug
What you write is sooo confusing and you use so many post doing so... :confused:
Most of the information isn't even complete from what I can tell.

2-3 mins? a day? on a (Jackson's) Chameleon?

@Gingerzombie ,
Your cham is still young so it will shed over his whole body at once, it's likely you miss this happening when you're at work (like me :() or at school...
Mine has grown quite a bit in the last 4 months, yet I only witnessed him shed skin twice! (I swear he waits until I leave the room to do any of the interesting stuff).
When you notice he's scratching it will likely mean the old skin is itchy and he's about to shed...
When he gets older shedding will take longer to complete so you will notice it.

About the basking temperature (and all other care)... I'd recommend sticking to the caresheet: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
There are multiple variables that will determine what wattage lamp you need so it will be up to you to figure that out...
If you can get your hands on an IR thermometer (7$-ish on aliexpress, fairly accurate, crappy display) that'll be best since it measures surface temperature instead of air temperature (keep in mind your cham has to go in between surface and spot. ;)).
Personally I'm a fan of hanging the lamps on a chain from the ceiling since you can easily raise or lower them if temperatures change.

Also, most likely, you will not need a 'special' UVA spot since the UVB lamp will also provide UVA... I'm not 100% sure if this is true for all UVB lamps so you may want to check on the one you have but the ones I came across all provide UVA.
You can then use any lamp that provides sufficient heat as basking spot.

On humidity you can use a humidifier as an addition to normal misting, this will help especially if you're in location with low humidity but can in no way be a replacement for frequent misting.

Sounds good.. Dusting should be done lightly so that's ok..

I think most people supplement as follows:
1 week: 6days calcium without D3, 1day Calcium with D3,
the next week: 6days caclcium without D3, 1day Vitamin supplement.
repeat.
You may want to check if the vitamin supplement also contains D3, if so you can skip the calcium with D3 and just do calcium without.

Hope this helps you in any way!(y)
Yeah I'll mist the leaves and subtracts including him with water for a bit so he can drink to make sure he stays hydrated and what not

Back
Top Bottom