starting my female's habitat

After a small nights rest and a long days nap, and not getting struck by lightning today...

Heres what i came up with. Lights will be coming during the week, when i get paid.

DSCN0866.jpg

DSCN0865.jpg

The top soil in the plants will be covered with large rocks and moved around a bit.

Im satisfied with it. Im thinking about adjusting the vine rope so it goes behind the ivy and doesn't stick out front. And making a backdrop and having my misters hide in that. Ive been watching alot of vids on you-tube seems kinda like a nice lil thing to add, the Foam covered in concrete.

What you think so far?

tyty ^^ im trying to decide if i wanna get another smaller medium plant to put in on one of the sides or get one that grows tall but stays skinny that she might eat. I kinda want to put a Hibiscus plant in their but i dont know if Home Depot sells them small enough =,= Kinda add some coloring and still give a tasty treat :D

tyty ^^ im trying to decide if i wanna get another smaller medium plant to put in on one of the sides or get one that grows tall but stays skinny that she might eat. I kinda want to put a Hibiscus plant in their but i dont know if Home Depot sells them small enough =,= Kinda add some coloring and still give a tasty treat :D

hibscus can be small enough to trim around , but they suck indoors unless you get another light for plants....

i go for ficus, p[othos, or umbrella tree,

maybe get ann outdoor caGE FOR YOUR CHAM to GET SOME SUN!!! you can put the hibiscus there and the flowers are awsome, my veiled luved to eat them=)

now thats startin to look like a cage. actually, it looks pretty much complete now for the little girl you have, maybe a few small branches going horizontally. you can simply use bamboo garden steaks! looks great man.

now thats startin to look like a cage. actually, it looks pretty much complete now for the little girl you have, maybe a few small branches going horizontally. you can simply use bamboo garden steaks! looks great man.

great idea , i agree with the branches:cool:

What about wild grown bamboo? i have allot of sticks that were dried out sitting in my garage i can cut up.

Umbrella tree i was looking at cause i saw one in one of the cages at a place i go to and i like how they grow.

I do plan on getting a small outdoor only enclosure for the spring and early summer/fall it gets waaay to hot here and dont want her passing out on me ><

Wild real bamboo is fine, but not that "lucky" bamboo stuff. It's not really bamboo. I like wooden dowels as horizontal perches. :)

from what ive read on the forums a little while back, you have to be cautious with certain bamboos. im not familiar with the kind you have stated, but if someone can chime in here, hopefully you will get a response.

you said it gets way too hot where you are at times. with that being said, do you think it is safe to have an outdoor enclosure? an hour or two in a hot area maybe ok, if left in the shade. but i would keep her indoors if you arent able to be there monitoring the outside temperatures. also too, with a female. you want to be consistant with 80-82 degrees. not just now as a baby, but as an adult too.

Ok sweet.

As for the outdoor, I check the weather every day because I ride a motorcycle to work and leisurely. So her being outside would be just like you said, only an hour or so at a time. Mid summer reaches high 90s to 100s with high humidity to 100% humidity. But right about now its getting to mid 80s with occasional rare 90s and about 60% humidity but with that hurricane out in the gulf were getting a decent amount of rain. During the spring though its real nice mid to low 80s/high 70s nice breeze sunny day.

Thanks for taking the advise!

Just wanted to say "hats off to you" for taking the advise of fellow Chamer's who know what they are talking about... Subtrate is bad and extra or soggy moisture = bacteria... the adjustments you made are great and you are going in the right direction, keep up the good work. Hate when people ask for advise and then ignore the good advise they are given so good for you! And good luck with your little guy, he looked very nice!
;)

Just wanted to say "hats off to you" for taking the advise of fellow Chamer's who know what they are talking about... Subtrate is bad and extra or soggy moisture = bacteria... the adjustments you made are great and you are going in the right direction, keep up the good work. Hate when people ask for advise and then ignore the good advise they are given so good for you! And good luck with your little guy, he looked very nice!
;)

its a girl;)

You'll need to keep your female inside because she'll need to stay on the cool side, the low 80's for her top basking spot. Here's a link to the cage I built for my female veiled. You need to put her into something similar to this: https://www.chameleonforums.com/mem...luminum-cage-picture4609-cage-laying-bin.html

I like that, I was trying to find something of a similar build before i went to the rep show but their want anything of good quality, everything was mad expensive *just to build the cage*, or they were using bad screening material. Def didn't think of using vegetable screening, Awesome idea will def look at building something similar as she grows.

Gensen- I am used to criticism all giving it and taking it both bad and good. Im also *well now getting into* Costume/Prop Building and continuing my career as a Veterinary Tech. so...i need it lol I live on asking questions and finding out why with things and taking and listening to advice :p just...unfortunately i dont always ask before hand.. but i learn! :D

LOL... my bad... I call everything a boy! Every animal I have had my whole life has been a male so it's habit... no offense meant... lol... I'm a mess.:D

Its all good lol i do the same, All birds females, dogs "buddy" cats females, lizards females usually. Force of habit here as well :p

Did some more work. Picked up a Ficus plant and might even pick up a small pothos plant when i do my background. Pickup my lights for this habitat this mid week and its done :D she keeps eyeing it from the cage shes in now its funny lol

The ficus i picked up is actually kinda nifty because its got a rock that its growing around thought it fit perfect and near the top i carefully unweaved it and added another rock to kinda get it to grow everywhere. I did search the plant before i put it in and trimmed the ones needed.

DSCN0871.jpg

DSCN0876.jpg

Im off now though for radiology class :D time to glow the colors of the plants heheheheh

Last edited:
So, moved her in Today a few mins ago. Shes still settling but loving the cage. Exploring everything. mainly the top/mid area where the most amount of foliage is. I might do what Ive noticed to in some cages and clamp a little cup for crickets to come out of when feeding Or when i build the background for this housing include a little feeding area for the crickets to come out of. Ive herd a few mixed things from friends of mine and watching videos. Ive herd use Fiberglass, Quickcrete on top of Foam, and use Bondo. What do you guys recommend? i Like the quickcrete method because the realism to it and itl give her something to hold onto and i dont think the fiberglass wont. but i dont know if itl be too harsh on her feet. I thank everyone for the advice in helping me put together my nice enclosure that Cortana is enjoying. She definitely thanks you much ^^

DSCN0888.jpg

DSCN0892.jpg

DSCN0896.jpg

The probe for my thermometer probe is just under the heat light about 6 inches down, and i have another set of hygro/thermos at the bottom.

Looking good man:cool:

and might i add that you have one very cute little veiled you have there:D
she looks like she is enjoying her new cham pad:cool::p

"Cortana" awsome name-does it have a meaning????just curious....

makes me want to say "Corona"!!!

Back
Top Bottom