staple feeders

wezeman512

are superworms a good staple feeder? i was giving my cham mealworms for a white but he got tired of those but superworms are the only other availible other food except for crickets that i don't have to order

you should never offer just one feeder. most of the time crickets should be your main feeder. they are easy to dust and attract attention b/c they move around. i like suppers, well not me, my chameleon does. suppers can be dusted, but dont retain it as well. they like to dig and it tends to rup off the supplement.

you should never offer just one feeder. most of the time crickets should be your main feeder. they are easy to dust and attract attention b/c they move around. i like suppers, well not me, my chameleon does. suppers can be dusted, but dont retain it as well. they like to dig and it tends to rup off the supplement.

hahahaha! actually i like suppers.
I have suppers every day :D.. I don't like supers though. :p
jk.. i'm giving you a hard time, Justin lol

I think superworm is acceptable to be a staple feeder.
but, personally, i like silkworm the best.
Also, use a thick plastic cup, zoophobas have incredibly strong jaw that able to chew plastics.

Last edited:
thanks for all the help everyone, and yes i gutload them and dust them 3-4 times a week but i was giving him crickets for a long time but he won't eat them anymore!

Zoophoba or "super" worms are Kitty's main (actually only) feeder right now. He goes through phases and right now he will only eat superworms.
As chad said ... gut load them and they're a great staple.
You may need to do some insect shopping online if you can't find a decent variety of bugs locally.
I like: http://reptilefood.com/

http://raisingkittytheveiledchamele.../feeders-and-their-husbandry-how-much-to.html

-Brad

Brad, I thought supers were on the fatty side a bit, should they really be staple?

Brad, I thought supers were on the fatty side a bit, should they really be staple?

Yeah, I think so.
I have really come to believe that gut load quality is the number one factor.
General nutritional analysis of any one type of insect will not take into account what may be in the gut of my feeders.
Keeping in mind that I advocate as large a variety of offerings as possible, I feel very comfortable including Zoophobas on the staple feeder list.

-Brad

I like Superworms and roaches as a staple food for the chams also. Very little work and a long shelf life for both is a huge plus. I'd rather spend my time taking care of the chameleons rather then the feeders. :D

Howdy,

Whenever I use supers, I always give them a light calcium dusting since their calcium:phosphorus ratio is so poor. I'm a bit overly sensitive to the ratio issue with supers since years ago my panther had some health issues that were traced to the poor ratio via blood tests. Right now supers are their favorite feeder. They'll shoot past any other feeder to get to a super.

Back
Top Bottom