staple feeder

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
Hi I was wondering about a diet for my male veiled.Could I do silkies ,blacksoldier fly larvae and flies, and moths daily.then every few days I would add supers, waxworms, and hornworms. Can I feed the moths of waxworms, hornworms, and silkworms daily too? I plan to breed silkworms do you guys have any tips on care? I would rather do that because dealing with crickets is a pain. I know silkworms are low in fat, high in protein and calcium, and soft bodied and digestible but the reason why I ask this questions because I was wondering if he is going to need the exoskeleton of the crickets. I am eleven and my parents won't let me do roaches.

so is there any way that I could feed him the gut load separately. He hand feeds pieces of veggies so I think I could feed him the gut load separately by hand.

I would try to educate your folks about feeder roaches.

Any number of people here could tell you how the idea creeped them out at first, but after taking the plunge, they're just not your typical cockroach.

For example: Dubia roaches (one of the most common species of feeders) are one of the more nutritious staple feeders for many reptiles. They don't stink, make noise, fly, they can't climb slick surfaces, they're not terribly fast like American cockroaches, and they can't reproduce at room temperature. Also, IMO they look more like wood lice (roly-polies) than like roaches.
1598457708554.png
1598457649052.png

Dubias aren't the only species—there are several—but AFAIK, they're the least expensive and one of the easiest to raise on your own (though that's not mandatory).

If you happen to live in one of the states where Dubias are illegal (FL, CA, LA, HI) there are other species that are legal there.

I live in Florida so I cannot have dubias. I know veiled are known to eat plants so why couldn't they be able to break it down in captivity.

They eat plants likely for fiber+moisture and probably get very little to no nutritional content from them. They aren't designed to break down plant matter, even humans have trouble absorbing nutrients from raw veggies.

I would try to educate your folks about feeder roaches.

Any number of people here could tell you how the idea creeped them out at first, but after taking the plunge, they're just not your typical cockroach.

For example: Dubia roaches (one of the most common species of feeders) are one of the more nutritious staple feeders for many reptiles. They don't stink, make noise, fly, they can't climb slick surfaces, they're not terribly fast like American cockroaches, and they can't reproduce at room temperature. Also, IMO they look more like wood lice (roly-polies) than like roaches.
View attachment 275646View attachment 275645
Dubias aren't the only species—there are several—but AFAIK, they're the least expensive and one of the easiest to raise on your own (though that's not mandatory).

If you happen to live in one of the states where Dubias are illegal (FL, CA, LA, HI) there are other species that are legal there.
Dubias are illegal in CA??!!!!
Oh well.... ?

Back
Top Bottom