Stan Lee not eating from what I can see

CraftingDreams

I brought Stan Lee home from the pet shop on Sunday. The girl said he hasn't been fed since Thursday or Friday, and I have been offering him crickets (what they were feeding) since, and I haven't seen him eat. He drinks, and roams his new home, but I have yet to see him eat. I put them in a Chinese food container attached to the branches.. (short container). Ive been trying to watch him, but still don't see that he eats... and I am getting worried.

I know with some reptiles, after a move, they take a day or two before they will eat.. but if he hasn't eaten since Thursday or Friday, should I be really worried?

I should be getting about 500 small dubia in by Thursday, so Ill offer those as well.. just really bothered by his lack of interest in food. :(

I'm no expert but I have my chameleon for a week and since the beginning he didn't eat too much for his age (he is 3 months old) and he suppose to eat 10-12 half size crickets per day but he was eating like 6 the most, I took him to the vet and it turned out he has the coccidia parasite.

Do yourself a favor and take him to a reptile vet, it might cost you another hundred or more but you can save the little guy's life!

I don't want to worry you but as you said he didn't eat before the change of the habitat...

no, it wasn't that HE didn't eat.. they didn't feed him since then.. :) He went to the bathroom.. I cleaned it from a leaf.. it was like a brown and a little part white.. looked wet but not runny at all... (could have been from the water on the leaves)..

He might not know how to cup feed. Does he know the crickets are there? Have you been counting the crickets?

I show him the crickets and he just watches.. I only put one in there at a time, this way I can keep track of them. .but I realized that after a bit, if the cup starts to tip they can get out, ... so not sure if he is eating them or if they got out.

I just tried to offer some smaller ones to him but he just wanted back to his plant. Ill do it again tomorrow.. Ive been wanting him to eat so he will get his calcium as well.. I don't believe they have been giving it to him at all.. they just don't come off like the "caring" type of pet store .. that would allow the girls working there to do right by them.

He probably will not eat from a cup and he also is probably too afraid to eat while you are watching. I would put a few crickets in there, then leave him alone. I would add a carrot or other form of food for the crickets in the cage in case a couple are not found. As long as he still looks healthy and is pooping, he is eating.

Sounds like a plan. Ill do that tomorrow. I was hoping he would eat from the cup so i could give him the dubia, but I dont want them getting loose..lol.. so maybe when he is more comfortable eating, ill work on that. I took a photo of him ony hand earlier to compare size-age. Not sure how big he should be. Ill upload it tomorrow and maybe someone will know.

Thanks for the help.. :) you guys are awesome.

Mine hunger striker it up a few days on me when it came in,turns out my jacksons doesn't like crickets. If you can,find a pet store with any kind of worm that is an appropriate size for him. It may break the strike,if he's striking.
I also noticed mine was easier cup trained with worms,the dubias you have coming will probably help alot too.

Mine was eating too, but just not as much as he was supposed to eat.

The stool looked good, but I still was sworried and took him to the vet and took the latest sample of poop (I put it in a small container in the fridge overnight) and I did a good job... I'm just saying that the vet visit might cost you another 100 bucks (if he needs medication and less if everything is good) but it may also mean saving his life...

Hope he will start eating soon, keep us post it :)

morning update...

Ok, so this morning, I misted his cage, and added some crickets shortly after I saw him in there drinking. (I LOVE watching him drink).. I look away for one moment, and look back and hes chomping on a cricket. YAY! I added a few more and Ill leave it like that. What a stealth little booger he is... Ill check on him in a bit.. seems the crickets like to go on the screen near the top, so I guess I can keep an eye on it that way. but there is SOOO much foliage in there from this one plant.. that its hard to tell.. lol

Jackson's can be very shy and some of them will not eat or drink while being watched.

There's a great section of the forum that is easily overlooked.
It has tons of info that you'll find useful, such as this Jackson's caresheet https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/
or this one about feeding https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

You sound like a very caring person who, when given the right info will do everything possible to ensure that Stan Lee has exactly what he needs.:)

I guess the Reptirain hasn't been working?
Even if it is, you'll see a huge difference once you get your Mistking system.
Your cham will get to know the misting schedule and head over to the misting zone before it comes on.
My Jackson's love to sit in the mist.

Just an update on Stan Lee...

Today... well, I was low on crickets.. I really hate them.. with a passion... besides my son thinking its funny to shoot them at me from the tube while Im cleaning cages.. *CRINGE*... they stink... so Im happy when they are about gone... and it was refreshing that my 500 Dubia arrived bright and early.. I put the few crickets in with Stan Lee... and I decided to try the Dubia, but I don't want them loose. SOO, I took another cup and I fixed it towards the middle/bottom of the plant, a bit more secure so it wouldn't tip.. and I dusted the dubia with the Calcium with D3.. this will be marked on his journal so we know the date. I left him alone other then misting.. and about 30 min ago, my daughter came home from school and asked about the cup.. she said hes on the side of it.. so we sat back and watched.. sure enough, that long tongue was shooting down into the cup and eating up the little dubia!!!!

YAY!!! SUCCESS!!!! I love this little guy... I guess I am just not a patient person..

I plan on starting my own colony of Dubia... never thought in a million years I would "BREED" roaches... the thought skeeves me.. but these things arnt bad.. Hubby doesn't know what they are... he knows "Dubia" but he has no clue what they really are... and I plan on it staying that way.. LOL

Besides the Dubia, Ill be picking up some horned worms, and feeding everyone some of those maybe twice a week... crickets maybe once a week... just enough for one day..

Stan Lee is our little hero..:)

Now if I can keep his plant from dying.. we will be in good shape.. I do NOT have a green thumb.. lol

Back
Top Bottom