Square tubing for cage

Been keeping reef tanks now for over 15 years started with a 44 gallon corner tank. Just got the 180 well thinks it's 180 about month ago. It's 24dx72lx 28h

I've got a 150 extra tall (48"x24"x30" tall) that'll be turned into a high-tech reef tank once I finish the pond for the turtle that's in there to go into. My dad's got a 25 yr old reef tank going that I've been helping with. I'm also starting a smaller reef tank, as well, to work out the kinks for the 150

I got a koi pond to this frist year my lotus is getting two blooms on it this year. My bog filter cracked last year so still need to replace that. Waiting for it to get cooler. Should of turn filter off but didn't alway leave the water fall on year around looks great during winter with ice brigdes

I ordered the frame to make a 2x2x4. Just for the frame and shipping was 217. Pvc sheet is 47 and screen is 13 and another 9 for the drain. So for under 300 I can make a zen cage with out hole in back.

Could of saved little bit of money by doing the cuts myself but would of cost way more in shipping. Going to do 45 cut on flanges my self they wanted 40 for those cuts

Forgot I'm using one inch tubing
(y) I think you'll be glad you bumped it up from 3/4".

Could of saved little bit of money by doing the cuts myself but would of cost way more in shipping. Going to do 45 cut on flanges my self they wanted 40 for those cuts
Those are the cuts I can't do without upgrading my.... basement (not well-equipped enough to call it a "shop" :oops: ). To me, those cuts would be worth it, but I understand; if you can do them yourself, go for it! (y)

Should have frame here Friday. Getting rest at home depot 1/4 pvc sheet 4 x 8. To slide in track. Like Kyle o scope suggested. Don't knw y I didn't think of that. So should be done by Sunday. Will post pic of whole build and my different cuts and different square tubing used so if anyone want to copy

Should have frame here Friday. Getting rest at home depot 1/4 pvc sheet 4 x 8. To slide in track. Like Kyle o scope suggested. Don't knw y I didn't think of that. So should be done by Sunday. Will post pic of whole build and my different cuts and different square tubing used so if anyone want to copy
What are you doing for door(s) & hardware? (I.e. hinged, sliding, revolving...)

Door is going to swing open. Using the same tubeing with different flang and putting screen on door. The latch I order off there site couldn't find the ones they have. So that was 12 bucks for that. For the drain for the bioactive was going to use a sink drain without overflow. Was going to heat pcv so it dips in middle and put drain there. The lower 9 inches will be water tight for bioactive. It's all in my head right now. Be easier to see as I build it will try to take pics of all steps.

So was ordering lights and stuff. Has anyone noticed that Noone has arcadia bulbs in stock for 46 in for under 70 bucks that 3 times price

I got this same tubing, the brand 8020 has it as well. I also got a 4'x10' sheet of pvc locally.

I am making a 2x4x4 enclosure with a base cabinet as well. I am uploading a screenshot from the CAD software where I did the design.

Trying to get it all done sooner than later since I will be going to the reptile show in southern California this weekend and hoping to get a panther.

I too will upload some photos when I complete mine.
image001.png

Last edited:
I got this same tubing, the brand 8020 has it as well. I also got a 4'x10' sheet of pvc locally.

I am making a 2x4x4 enclosure with a base cabinet as well. I am uploading a screenshot from the CAD software where I did the design.

Trying to get it all done sooner than later since I will be going to the reptile show in southern California this weekend and hoping to get a panther.

I too will upload some photos when I complete mine.View attachment 309642
That's same way I was planning on doing it. Pvc sheets at home depot only 44 per sheet not bad for price. Doing same size next but was going to do 5 ft in stead of 4ft high. That will leave me ten inches to ceiling. What site did you used for tubing. What's was price you got for the fame.

Wish I lived in CA. You all get all the good shows I'm in va we don't get any big shows here

That's same way I was planning on doing it. Pvc sheets at home depot only 44 per sheet not bad for price. Doing same size next but was going to do 5 ft in stead of 4ft high. That will leave me ten inches to ceiling. What site did you used for tubing. What's was price you got for the fame.
So I initially found it on Orange Aluminum but after them telling me it was in stock and placing the order it was an 8 week lead time so I canceled the order and went with a distributor locally for the 8020 brand. (Bear in mind this was back in maybe March of this year so the supply chain was more jacked than it is now).

Cost for the frame was $178.67 (shipped) for the frames and I paid a local plastic shop $185 for a 4x10 and a 4x4sheet of 1/4" black PVC. The corner pieces were from orange aluminum and I am going to miter all the corners myself since they wont work with flat edges but a regular miter saw with a course blade will work just fine.

I looked at my home depot and could not find the PVC sheets so I went to a plastic shop.

Back
Top Bottom