Square tubing for cage

Jpeff

Chameleon Enthusiast
Has anyone used these to make a cage with. I got a ReptiBreeze but it feels flimsy. So was going to make a 2.5 x 2.5 x 4 ft cage. Was going to do 3 side with pvc sheets and screen front and top. Was going to use angle bar for the ledges

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210828-204607_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210828-204607_Samsung Internet.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20210828-204630_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210828-204630_Samsung Internet.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 96
Has anyone used these to make a cage with. I got a ReptiBreeze but it feels flimsy. So was going to make a 2.5 x 2.5 x 4 ft cage. Was going to do 3 side with pvc sheets and screen front and top. Was going to use angle bar for the ledges
This is essentially what Zen Habitats use in North America and Muji uses in the UK. Zen uses the channel type rather than single flange to accommodate sliding the PVC panels right in.
I've designed (but not yet built) one myself from the same materials.

Is 8 inches deep enough for bioactive. Was thinking of building it into the cage.
From what little I know of it, 8 inches should be fine. I would plan ahead by investigating any/all plants you use so they're suitable for this kind of enclosure (root depth, water requirements, feeding, etc.); plants with long tap roots might not do as well.

If you plan on using a solid panel on the front bottom for the bioactive, I would include either vents in that panel or a small screened panel between the bottom front and door to allow an input for air changes & chimney effect.

They have these channel you can add. There is another site that sell them built into the tube but that site was twice the price as this one was.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210828-232623_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210828-232623_Samsung Internet.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 80
I can't wait until you build this!! What site are you on for the materials? Madcham had a great tutorial using those supplies!

So just the door and top being screen not enough air flow
AFAIK, most of the hybrid enclosures are now using solid (acrylic) doors. That's what I was talking about with vents & intake. If you're going to have a screen door, then forget all that.

They have these channel you can add. There is another site that sell them built into the tube but that site was twice the price as this one was.
I'm not familiar with what you have there. I was referring to this type:
1630221600124.png
Perhaps we should compare notes(?) 🤓

Looks like he used same but the one inch tube
:confused: :confused: :confused: ? ? ? One inch is pretty standard—what I designed for.
What size are you thinking of using?

I meant to mention before... I originally designed the same size as you're doing—30" x 30" x 48" to fit on a 30" deep folding table.

1630222215860.png
Just a couple of things to consider if you haven't already:
  • I found that 30" deep is extremely difficult to reach into and clean/work at the back (unless you're like... 8' tall :oops: ).
    Had this discussion with another member back when I was designing this. One possible fix we discussed was adding a second door (i.e. making the back wall a door) for access.
    Doesn't work if the enclosure is to be up against a wall.

• It was also more difficult (and expensive) to find a drain pan for a 30" x 30" enclosure.

In the end, I cut back to 24" x 24" x 48—not only for the above reason, but also for cutting the panels. PVC sheets I can get are 4 x 8, and 30" doesn't fit as evenly as 24".

Version I'm working on now is 48W x 24D x 48H.

Last edited:
AFAIK, most of the hybrid enclosures are now using solid (acrylic) doors. That's what I was talking about with vents & intake. If you're going to have a screen door, then forget all that.

I'm not familiar with what you have there. I was referring to this type:
Perhaps we should compare notes(?) 🤓

:confused: :confused: :confused: ? ? ? One inch is pretty standard—what I designed for.
What size are you thinking of using?

I meant to mention before... I originally designed the same size as you're doing—30" x 30" x 48" to fit on a 30" deep folding table.

Just a couple of things to consider if you haven't already:
  • I found that 30" deep is extremely difficult to reach into and clean/work at the back (unless you're like... 8' tall :oops: ).
    Had this discussion with another member back when I was designing this. One possible fix we discussed was adding a second door (i.e. making the back wall a door) for access.
    Doesn't work if the enclosure is to be up against a wall.

• It was also more difficult (and expensive) to find a drain pan for a 30" x 30" enclosure.

In the end, I cut back to 24" x 24" x 48—not only for the above reason, but also for cutting the panels. PVC sheets I can get are 4 x 8, and 30" doesn't fit as evenly as 24".

Version I'm working on now is 48W x 24D x 48H.
So I was going to go with th 3/4 inch. One inch seemed alittle over kill. Good point on the reach so I'll prob only do 24 inch deep. After looking at how madcham did his screen I'm going to do it that way. I was going to make screen inserts but his way is easier. I think I'm going to make two different sizes to fit space I have. 2x2x4 and 4x2x4 as long as shipping don't kill me should be well under 500. Was planning on using sink drain without over flow. Make the bottom water proof with the sink drain and bioactive. Set them all up on old kitchen cabinets with bucket.

Kitchen cabinets are only 24" deep anyhow. Make sure they're kitchen, and not bathroom. Bathroom cabinets are typically only 18" - 21" deep.

IDT 1" aluminum is overkill at all; that's what Zen and Madcham used. I'd be more concerned that 3/4" might still be flimsy; it partly depends on what you use for panels, and how they're attached/secured. Some ways can add strength—other ways not so much.

I would do the screen differently, but our designs are different. I don't do bioactive, so I can make the whole front an acrylic (or glass—it's le$$ than acrylic) and only the floor & ceiling are screen.

Are you having the aluminum pre-cut to size?

I've also used 3/4 tube to frame up wall to make pocket for doors in walls in my kitchen

I was going to use 3/8 pvc sheet. Will add weight but will be thick enough to not warp or if need be to hold stuff. Was going to cut to fit in panel and use one inch angle bar to hold in place and glue. The angle bar will also be the ledges haven't decided if I'm going to paint or leave the pvc white might just paint the inside green or something

Kitchen cabinets are only 24" deep anyhow. Make sure they're kitchen, and not bathroom. Bathroom cabinets are typically only 18" - 21" deep.

IDT 1" aluminum is overkill at all; that's what Zen and Madcham used. I'd be more concerned that 3/4" might still be flimsy; it partly depends on what you use for panels, and how they're attached/secured. Some ways can add strength—other ways not so much.

I would do the screen differently, but our designs are different. I don't do bioactive, so I can make the whole front an acrylic (or glass—it's le$$ than acrylic) and only the floor & ceiling are screen.

Are you having the aluminum pre-cut to size?
Cabinet are 24 with back splash. For counter top was going to use 3/4 plywood with no back splash. So will have one inch to spare if I did my math right which I hope I did. When done will have one 24x24 free spot to put mistking got the ultimate one just need to hook up. Been told I go over board with my pets. I have a blue and gold macaw in a 4x8 cage and a salt water reef tank 180 gallon with my old 125 gal as a sump. But me and my 2 kids have a zoo

Cabinet are 24 with back splash. For counter top was going to use 3/4 plywood with no back splash. So will have one inch to spare if I did my math right which I hope I did. When done will have one 24x24 free spot to put mistking got the ultimate one just need to hook up. Been told I go over board with my pets. I have a blue and gold macaw in a 4x8 cage and a salt water reef tank 180 gallon with my old 125 gal as a sump. But me and my 2 kids have a zoo
Any pics of the reef tank?!

I'll post one soon 180 has few things in it at moment. Most in 100 gal rubber made tote so I got few clowns in it now with some rock in middle of the move still from 125 gal. Wanted to make rock work one piece this time so drilling hole and putting acrylic rods in so it's all locked in this time. Makes way easier when cleaning. Put all my fish coral and rock rubbermaid trough in middle of floor with lights on top. And it's not easy to catch fish with the rocks in there.

Back
Top Bottom