Spyro the Jackson ...

ApocalypseUK

Hey all,

Was just wondering if anyone can help me my 6 month old Jackson has been acting really strange recently, to cut a long story short he's like trying to look after a child he's constantly craving attention :p but basically he's trying to bite his vines, sometimes having ago at his own tail, shooting his tongue out at complete nothing ness and constantly trying to get out his cage at to do this he crawls around and then drops himself to the floor and goes really black and it's worrying because yesterday and today he's been doing it a lot I've brought him a bigger cage but haven't had him in it yet, his supplement consists of calcium without d3 once a week, vitamins once a month and calcium with d3 every 6/10 weeks .. Any idea? Btw I live in the uk so nutrobal is available to me but not entirely sure if it's to do with his supplementation?

Spyro The Jackson

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - jacksonii Jackson, male, 6 months old, had him since he was 3 months old.
Handling - It varies so sometimes quite often, some days not at all but recently these past 2 days he's been constantly wanting to come onto my hand, I put my hand in his cage and he dives to climb straight on me.
Feeding - roaches, crickets, locusts, silkworms, mealworms, waxworks, calci worms, black soldier flies think that's all of them might be missing something. I personally give him the option when he's done eating but roughly he eats about 7+ insects a day easily, I gut load with fresh greens and sometimes carrots but mainly fresh greens.
Supplements - I dust his feeders with zoo med repti calcium with and without d3, vitamins I use zoo meds reptivite vitamins without d3, I use calcium without d3 once a week, calcium with d3 every 6 to 10 weeks and vitamins every month.
Watering - I spray about 3 to 4 times a day and let dry before remisting, and yes I do sometimes see him drink, I also have a dripper which I'm not using at the min as I feel he doesn't need it because he drinks when sprayed and I have a humidifier for his cage that on one side of his cage so if he chooses to go to the side of his cage that might be more watery he can.
Fecal Description - Poo,s seem perfectly normal not slimy or anything, normal poo and wee is like a creamy white.
History - got him from a Jackson's breeder not shop.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - he's currently in a exo terra 18" 18" by 24" inch high, mesh at top, ventilation at the front and I have also turned a computer fan into a normal fan to sit on top of his cage for more airflow if needed.
Lighting - his basking I'm using a Komodo 100w bulb on a habistat thermostat do allow his basking spot to be at 78f with an exo terra small dome, his UVB is on a Arcadia controller with, Arcadia reflector using a desert 12% UVB d3 tube light and his lights come on at 8:30am and go off at 8:30pm with complete darkness through the night no other bulbs on, both lights out.
Temperature - basking ranges from 78f to 80f, lowest overnight temp goes to 60f, I measure this using a thermometer.
Humidity - spraying 3 - 4 times a day, also using a humidifier and measuring using a hydrometer and his humidity varies around 80% max.
Plants - I'm using 2 umbrella plants and 1 draceona not sure of the spelling.
Placement - located in my bedroom, not near any fans, windows or anything like that and is roughly about 130cm above the ground, bottom of cage.
Location - United Kingdom

Current Problem - my Jackson keeps randomly trying to eat his vines, sometimes his own tail, leafs, shooting his tongue out at like maybe a dark patch on the plant or randomly at things he must think are alive, he even tried eating soil in the pots but I've covered that up now, and has been constantly trying to get out of his cage and falling a lot to do so.. :( any ideas please?

He's thirsty. Jax aren't typical vegetation chewers, so I bet he is looking for moisture. Jacksons need a lot of water compared to other chameleons. If you can't give him at least one very long misting a day (5 minutes or so), you might bring the dripper back. It's good that his urates are still white - you want to keep it that way!

Try misting with warm water, too. My Jax far prefers a warm shower over room temp.

Last edited:
Also, you should bump up the plain calcium to at least 3 times a week. I always dust crickets, but not usually the other feeders I use. I think your other supplements are right on target.

Thanks for the reply, hmm do you reckon it is because he's more thirsty then? I've also brought him a brand new cage as well got him A reptibreeze size medium with a weeping fig. But not sure wether or not to move him into it because it will give him more room, to roam and climb and maybe stop him from constantly wanting to come out all the time, mind you I love that he wants to come out but he literally wants out all the time like non stop, I go to put him back in and he tilts and turns to crawl back down my arm to avoid going back in lol

Last edited:
He's thirsty. Jax aren't typical vegetation chewers, so I bet he is looking for moisture. Jacksons need a lot of water compared to other chameleons. If you can't give him at least one very long misting a day (5 minutes or so), you might bring the dripper back. It's good that his urates are still white - you want to keep it that way!

Try misting with warm water, too. My Jax far prefers a warm shower over room temp.

Anyone else that keeps Jackson's got any other ideas, not saying the one above is wrong but just curious to see if anyone has other opinions on why the little guy might be doing it? :) I appreciate all the opinions, advice I can get :) thanks again :)

Thanks for the reply, hmm do you reckon it is because he's more thirsty then? I've also brought him a brand new cage as well got him A reptibreeze size medium with a weeping fig. But not sure wether or not to move him into it because it will give him more room, to roam and climb and maybe stop him from constantly wanting to come out all the time, mind you I love that he wants to come out but he literally wants out all the time like non stop, I go to put him back in and he tilts and turns to crawl back down my arm to avoid going back in lol

He's entering his "adolescent" phase, so that might be why he is on the move and eager to explore. My experience with my Jax is that he is a very active climber. I had him in a 24x24x48 cage, and he just paced and paced. He's in a cage much larger now, and I am really happy to be able to give him the extra space. If you have a bigger cage with one side filled with dense foliage, he will love it, but I recommend waiting until he stops dropping.

I also let my Jax wander around the living room. We have vines hooked to the sliding door handle so he can look outside. If your Jax can do that safely (no dogs, kids, or cats! and always supervise), he might really enjoy some time to explore.

I mentioned it because my Jax is a bit of a dummy when it comes to drinking. It takes a full minute sometimes sitting under the spray for him to decide that he wants to drink. Same with cleaning out his eyes; it takes him awhile to get going once the water is on. Your little guy may not be getting quite enough moisture from shorter mistings.

Long term, low level dehydration has been explained to me as very hard on the internal organs and can lead to organ failure. Adequate hydration is really critical for all chameleons but montane species especially need more water and higher humidity.

He's entering his "adolescent" phase, so that might be why he is on the move and eager to explore. My experience with my Jax is that he is a very active climber. I had him in a 24x24x48 cage, and he just paced and paced. He's in a cage much larger now, and I am really happy to be able to give him the extra space. If you have a bigger cage with one side filled with dense foliage, he will love it, but I recommend waiting until he stops dropping.

I also let my Jax wander around the living room. We have vines hooked to the sliding door handle so he can look outside. If your Jax can do that safely (no dogs, kids, or cats! and always supervise), he might really enjoy some time to explore.

I mentioned it because my Jax is a bit of a dummy when it comes to drinking. It takes a full minute sometimes sitting under the spray for him to decide that he wants to drink. Same with cleaning out his eyes; it takes him awhile to get going once the water is on. Your little guy may not be getting quite enough moisture from shorter mistings.

Long term, low level dehydration has been explained to me as very hard on the internal organs and can lead to organ failure. Adequate hydration is really critical for all chameleons but montane species especially need more water and higher humidity.

Arhh I see thank you very much I would love to create a free range for my chameleons but not possible at the min but when the time comes can't wait to do it :)

Also he is wondering about a lot still today but again he climbs in certain areas then drops and turn pitch black when he lands on the floor I'm really quite worried for the little guy I don't want him to hurt himself or worse come home from work to see him on the floor... Any ideas why he might be dropping? Maybe lose of grip or something this is why I'm really deciding to move him into the bigger cage and plus reptibreezes are made full of mesh metal material so there's always something to grip onto, what ya think? Not entirely sure what to do to be honest cuz the cage he's in now is a good size for him but again not sure...

Oh yeh and forgot to mention he also keeps going to the bottom of his cage and looks as if he wants out..
Thanks again.

Anyone else that keeps Jackson's got any other ideas, not saying the one above is wrong but just curious to see if anyone has other opinions on why the little guy might be doing it? :) I appreciate all the opinions, advice I can get :) thanks again :)

I am a Jackson's keeper and mine use to bite on the plastic vines occasionally. The other poster was right about him either being thirsty and/or needing his calcium dose upped to EVERY feeding. Also Calcium WITH d3 should be every month. 6-10 weeks probably won't cut it in the long run, if he isn't already feeling the effects of this d3 schedule.

The early signs of MBD can be this strange behavior;i.e turning black, weak grip, etc as not enough absorbable calcium in his diet effects ALL his muscles and his behavior.

As far as his water intake. Jackson's are the opposite of Veiled's. Veiled's tend to be voracious eaters, and not care much about water. Jackson's are conservative eaters, but damn WATER-HOLICS! They need a lot of water.

The early signs of MBD can be this strange behavior;i.e turning black, weak grip, etc as not enough absorbable calcium in his diet effects ALL his muscles and his behavior.

I suspect this might be involved with the dropping thing, too. Apocalypse, get him on a more regular D3 cycle at about once a month but alternate the week with your multivitamin. Resist the urge to double supplement or over supplement as Jax are very sensitive to over supplementation.

You should Sandrachameleon's blogs here about gut loading, too. I have noticed that the quality of my insect food makes a noticeable impact on the behavior and health of my Jax in a very short time. The multivitamins aren't perfect and they can't supply perfect nutrition alone, so a good gut loading system is needed to make sure your cham is getting what he needs in a absorbable/digestible form.

I hope he stops dropping soon. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom