SPOTTED isopods ? and one giving birth !!!

little leaf

Avid Member
I read the post about isopods yesterday ( great post by SMCNARY :D ), and went to go find some in the woods
well, I found many, and many different kinds- but I can not find the id to the yellow spotted ones ? are they safe also ??? they are pretty big compared to the gray and orange ones. all these were in the same spot, so they must live together - but should I sort them ? in the one pic you can see the eggs in one, and the other is giving birth- I just thought is was neat, so wanted to share it :)

Last edited:
They're the same... Loves these guys! I use to catch them and keep them as "pets". Watched most of the give birth. They are fun and now after two weeks my son likes picking them up too.

I get too confused with these!
Have something that looks like that in my yard (just pick up any rock!)
but they are not the same.
Hard time making positive ID makes me leary to use as a feeder.

I read the post about isopods yesterday ( great post by SMCNARY :D ), and went to go find some in the woods
well, I found many, and many different kinds- but I can not find the id to the yellow spotted ones ? are they safe also ??? they are pretty big compared to the gray and orange ones. all these were in the same spot, so they must live together - but should I sort them ? in the one pic you can see the eggs in one, and the other is giving birth- I just thought is was neat, so wanted to share it :)

Cool Picts and thank you. You might want to do what Sandra did and keep the adults until you have lots of babies and then let the adults go. I don't have the patience for that so I just bought mine.

Cool Picts and thank you. You might want to do what Sandra did and keep the adults until you have lots of babies and then let the adults go. I don't have the patience for that so I just bought mine.

yes, I am - they are cute too =) lol but they are dropping babies like crazy - I think I am going to put all the preg/ females in one small bin, so I know for sure they are ok to feed when they get big enough
I would like to buy mine, but I am to chicken to order stuff on line - :eek: :p

Cheryl I sure am glad you stayed in the hobby. You add a lot to my enjoyment, both on and off the forum:) Now which one is having babies? When will mine get here?

Back
Top Bottom