Spot on Tongue?

Chamspot

Hi! I adopted a male panther cham a few days ago, and today I noticed a spot on his tongue and I’m not sure if it is mouthrot or something else? He also has several spots with stuck shed, some of those spots look weird too, almost like growths. I’m not sure of the best way to deal with those.

I’ve filled out the health questionnaire below.

I had to screenshot from a video to get a pic of his tongue, sorry if it’s hard to see!
B316DFB5-B57D-4E63-9950-63F656A06C15.png

D263CEA7-7A75-4E0C-94D4-043037D40F46.jpeg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Panther, about two years old, I have had him for three days
  • Handling - I have tried to keep it to a minimum, but he seems pretty comfortable with people and comes to the front quickly for food.
  • Feeding - He has been eating mostly crickets, dubias, and super worms. I plan on adding silkworms and hornworms to the mix as well.
  • Supplements - Feeders dusted with repti calcium with no vitamin D. I plan on adding repti calcium with D and rep-cal herptivite alternating each once a week
  • Watering - Water fountain (please no hate on this, it is made specifically for reptiles and comes apart very easily and I clean it every other day). I also mist morning and night. I’ve seen him drinking from the fountain
  • Fecal Description - They look normal, white urates. I haven’t had him tested for parasites yet
  • History - I got him from someone on Craigslist a few days ago, he seems healthy except for the stuck shed and weird spot on his tongue. His lighting and cage seemed appropriate, but I already had my own larger cage from my old cham

• I am skipping the rest of the questions since I only got him a few days ago.

Current Problem - The spot on tongue and stuck shed. There is stuck shed on the ridge above one eye, and well as random spots on his body. These concern me as well-they almost look like little growths?
Here is his setup now, one of the bulbs is a zoomed 10% up. Any constructive criticism is welcomed:
C01CAB8E-B333-465A-99E3-846D907529B9.jpeg

Hi! I adopted a male panther cham a few days ago, and today I noticed a spot on his tongue and I’m not sure if it is mouthrot or something else? He also has several spots with stuck shed, some of those spots look weird too, almost like growths. I’m not sure of the best way to deal with those.

I’ve filled out the health questionnaire below.

I had to screenshot from a video to get a pic of his tongue, sorry if it’s hard to see!
View attachment 273350

View attachment 273360
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Panther, about two years old, I have had him for three days
  • Handling - I have tried to keep it to a minimum, but he seems pretty comfortable with people and comes to the front quickly for food.
  • Feeding - He has been eating mostly crickets, dubias, and super worms. I plan on adding silkworms and hornworms to the mix as well.
  • Supplements - Feeders dusted with repti calcium with no vitamin D. I plan on adding repti calcium with D and rep-cal herptivite alternating each once a week
  • Watering - Water fountain (please no hate on this, it is made specifically for reptiles and comes apart very easily and I clean it every other day). I also mist morning and night. I’ve seen him drinking from the fountain
  • Fecal Description - They look normal, white urates. I haven’t had him tested for parasites yet
  • History - I got him from someone on Craigslist a few days ago, he seems healthy except for the stuck shed and weird spot on his tongue. His lighting and cage seemed appropriate, but I already had my own larger cage from my old cham

• I am skipping the rest of the questions since I only got him a few days ago.

Current Problem - The spot on tongue and stuck shed. There is stuck shed on the ridge above one eye, and well as random spots on his body. These concern me as well-they almost look like little growths?
Here is his setup now, one of the bulbs is a zoomed 10% up. Any constructive criticism is welcomed:

Hi there... So he needs a vet with Chameleon experience... I would not leave the tongue untreated. mouth infections are serious for them. Looks almost like he got bit by a feeder.

Get reptivite with D3 instead of the calcium with D3 and the herptivite. Reptivite is better. You would use this only 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Then all other feedings give the calcium without D3.

If the UVB came with him I would buy a new bulb just to make sure his is producing UVB correctly and is not old.

Thank you, all of the vets around me are closed for the day so I’ll have to call tomorrow morning.

Any idea on what to do for the stuck shed?

I just got the bulb so at least I know that is good

Thank you, all of the vets around me are closed for the day so I’ll have to call tomorrow morning.

Any idea on what to do for the stuck shed?

I just got the bulb so at least I know that is good
As long as your husbandry is correct for him moving forward with temps, humidity, supplements, and feeder gutloading it should resolve on its own. But speak to your vet. Just please make sure they are experienced with chams or you are likely to get incorrect feedback.

Here is a great link I like https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

And I love their husbandry program. It covers any and all aspects. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

As long as your husbandry is correct for him moving forward with temps, humidity, supplements, and feeder gutloading it should resolve on its own. But speak to your vet. Just please make sure they are experienced with chams or you are likely to get incorrect feedback.

Here is a great link I like https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

And I love their husbandry program. It covers any and all aspects. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Thanks so much! That website as well as this forum was so full of good information and really helped me to prepare for a Cham. I knew before I got him that he didn’t look in the best of shape but I figured I would be able to give him a better home than he had.
Anyways I will be making an appointment for him tomorrow, fingers crossed it isn’t anything too serious!

So I just got back from the vet, they said it looked like it is healing on its own but they would like to see him back in 7 days to check.
They also gave me ointment to put on his spots with stuck shed.
The one part I’m not sure of is they said to soak him in warm water once a day for the next week, and then 3 days a week for the rest of his life? That seems to go against a lot of things I’ve read on here so I wanted to get a second opinion on that

So I just got back from the vet, they said it looked like it is healing on its own but they would like to see him back in 7 days to check.
They also gave me ointment to put on his spots with stuck shed.
The one part I’m not sure of is they said to soak him in warm water once a day for the next week, and then 3 days a week for the rest of his life? That seems to go against a lot of things I’ve read on here so I wanted to get a second opinion on that
I would never soak a chameleon.... @kinyonga your thoughts on soaking a cham with stuck shed?
What was the ointment they gave you? No antibiotics for the sore on the tongue?

I would never soak a chameleon.... @kinyonga your thoughts on soaking a cham with stuck shed?
What was the ointment they gave you? No antibiotics for the sore on the tongue?

That was my thought as well! They gave me NeoPolyBacitracin and said I could put that on his tongue as well if I am able, but that it seemed to have a scab and be healing on it’s own. I’m not exactly sure how I would go about doing that either lol.
It was frustrating because due to Covid they had to pick him up from my car and then call me to ask questions and then call again for care instructions, so I didn’t get a chance to ask as many questions as I would have liked to

That was my thought as well! They gave me NeoPolyBacitracin and said I could put that on his tongue as well if I am able, but that it seemed to have a scab and be healing on it’s own. I’m not exactly sure how I would go about doing that either lol.
It was frustrating because due to Covid they had to pick him up from my car and then call me to ask questions and then call again for care instructions, so I didn’t get a chance to ask as many questions as I would have liked to
And they are experienced exotic vet??? Seems super weird to me lol Personally I would not soak him this stresses the heck out of them and they are dry shedders. I think it will do more harm then good. I have heard of taking a moist qtip gently to spots with stuck shed to see if they release but you have to be careful.

Since he is new to you would you like to review your husbandry for temps, humidity, supplements, gutloading, and feeders?
These all directly impact shedding.

I agree with @Beman ...I wouldn't soak a chameleon with stuck shed.
I don't think it would do anything to help.

I've never put a education/cream on any wound in a reptiles mouth either although I've used flamazine on a turtle's neck would (under vet direction) because it might get in the eyes or mouth when the turtl pulls it's head back into its shell.

Supposedly! They are one of only two in my area, and the only one that could get me in today. I’m going to stick with just the ointment on those spots. The spots look like it’s been building up for a while and they stick out like a wart or pimple

If you don’t mind though that would be great! I’m hoping that if I have everything correct for him going forward his shedding issues will fix themselves. He also looks like he needs to gain some weight.

Temps (measured with temp gun): 87-91 on his highest basking branches, low 80’s up top then the coolest spot I found at the bottom was 69

Humidity: my house stays in the low 50%, and then I mist him morning and evening. The back of his enclosure is lined with a piece of shower curtain to help keep moisture in too. I have an automatic mister on my wish list but that’s a little pricey for me right now. I ordered a fogger to run at night for him which should get here tomorrow

Feeders: dubias, hornworms, superworms, and crickets. He doesn’t seem interested in the dubias or crickets
Dubias and crickets gutloaded with carrots and bug burger. I plan on rotating the veggies on a list I found on here. The vet also gave me Mazuri gutload and said I should use that exclusively?

I outlined the supplements in my original post, but I plan on using the reptivite with d3 like you suggested

Supposedly! They are one of only two in my area, and the only one that could get me in today. I’m going to stick with just the ointment on those spots. The spots look like it’s been building up for a while and they stick out like a wart or pimple

If you don’t mind though that would be great! I’m hoping that if I have everything correct for him going forward his shedding issues will fix themselves. He also looks like he needs to gain some weight.

Temps (measured with temp gun): 87-91 on his highest basking branches, low 80’s up top then the coolest spot I found at the bottom was 69

Humidity: my house stays in the low 50%, and then I mist him morning and evening. The back of his enclosure is lined with a piece of shower curtain to help keep moisture in too. I have an automatic mister on my wish list but that’s a little pricey for me right now. I ordered a fogger to run at night for him which should get here tomorrow

Feeders: dubias, hornworms, superworms, and crickets. He doesn’t seem interested in the dubias or crickets
Dubias and crickets gutloaded with carrots and bug burger. I plan on rotating the veggies on a list I found on here. The vet also gave me Mazuri gutload and said I should use that exclusively?

I outlined the supplements in my original post, but I plan on using the reptivite with d3 like you suggested
basking is a little high. IMO 80-85 max.

I would drop basking temps down to 85 max. They don't need to be that hot. Keep in mind temp gun only measures the surface temp. So I would get a gauge that has a wired probe to put at basking. you can use a tiny zip tie to secure it.

50-60% humidity during the day is perfect. The fogger will be great run this on high at night for about 5-6 hours when your house is the coolest. Make sure that the hose is not sitting directly on the screen or the fog will back up into the hose lift it off a bit so it flows around the condensation on the screen.

Commercial gutloads are great when you don't have time or run out of fresh stuff but I will tell you the fresh fruit and veg is the best. Use the list pick like 4 veg and 2 fruit then feed your feeders each day removing the old. I personally have seen a big difference in shedding from using bug burger moving over to all fresh.
I have never heard of Mazuri gutload so I don't know...

Feeder variety is great as well. :)

Supplements will be perfect then with the reptivite with D3 two times a month and calcium without D3 at all other feedings.

I would drop basking temps down to 85 max. They don't need to be that hot. Keep in mind temp gun only measures the surface temp. So I would get a gauge that has a wired probe to put at basking. you can use a tiny zip tie to secure it.

50-60% humidity during the day is perfect. The fogger will be great run this on high at night for about 5-6 hours when your house is the coolest. Make sure that the hose is not sitting directly on the screen or the fog will back up into the hose lift it off a bit so it flows around the condensation on the screen.

Commercial gutloads are great when you don't have time or run out of fresh stuff but I will tell you the fresh fruit and veg is the best. Use the list pick like 4 veg and 2 fruit then feed your feeders each day removing the old. I personally have seen a big difference in shedding from using bug burger moving over to all fresh.
I have never heard of Mazuri gutload so I don't know...

Feeder variety is great as well. :)

Supplements will be perfect then with the reptivite with D3 two times a month and calcium without D3 at all other feedings.

Thank you so so much! I will fix the basking temp. I just want the best for the little guy❤️

Here’s a pic of the ingredient list for the mazuri just so the info is out there: (just noticed it’s expired so that’s cool ?)
CA0118A5-4BB7-495E-94A9-9A3FEDE2759E.jpeg

Thank you so so much! I will fix the basking temp. I just want the best for the little guy❤

Here’s a pic of the ingredient list for the mazuri just so the info is out there: (just noticed it’s expired so that’s cool ?)
View attachment 273456
Yeah no clue... It is like the list on the back of other commercial brands. Not funny but is funny about the date on it.

Get yourself fresh stuff and some bee pollen to sprinkle on top. Your bugs will love it.

I got a food processor and love doing my gutload that way. Buy everything I want and add it all in, blend down and then put into little containers. I freeze it and pull a new one out each time I need one. It has been fantastic and I do not have waste like I did with just chopping and feeding it. Plus it makes feeding time much faster each day.

Yeah no clue... It is like the list on the back of other commercial brands. Not funny but is funny about the date on it.

Get yourself fresh stuff and some bee pollen to sprinkle on top. Your bugs will love it.

I got a food processor and love doing my gutload that way. Buy everything I want and add it all in, blend down and then put into little containers. I freeze it and pull a new one out each time I need one. It has been fantastic and I do not have waste like I did with just chopping and feeding it. Plus it makes feeding time much faster each day.

Such a good idea! That’ll definitely help cut down on waste too.

But thanks again! I really appreciate you taking your time to help me out ?

Your very welcome! It was my pleasure. If you do not see that tongue getting better you should insist on antibiotics for it. Let us know if you have any questions.
Not sure if I gave this to you but I love this site for fantastic husbandry info www.chameleonacademy.com

Oh and this is the gutload image. I saved it on my phone and take it with me that way when I shop. Makes it easier. :)

chameleon-gutload.jpg

yes you can use veggie scraps like carrot greens and others to gutload it does cut down waste! Just make sure you DON'T use spinach because it binds calcium

Back
Top Bottom