Spot Grow Light for Basking?

NorCalAnthony

Avid Member
I have a mini-free range in my office/cham room and to help keep the plants alive I bought a 60w spot grow light at Lowes. The other day I noticed my panther, Poseidon, basking in the grow light. The light is maybe twice as far away from where he was perched (compared to the basking spot and light in his cage) but he seemed to really enjoy it. Even more so than his normal basking light, a regular 100w incandescent bulb. So I started wondering if anyone has ever used these for their primary basking light?

Here's the bulb in question:

Here's a picture of Poseidon in the free range (trying to get over to check out our new girl lol)

Here's another shot of the mini free range:

Is that a CFL or is it a standard incandescent lamp?

It's a regular 60w incandescent and they also had a 50w halogen that was the same thing. The orchids underneath the light seem to be thriving so it seems to be doing a good job as a grow light. I was just surprised to be seeing my cham enjoying it so much as well lol.

The plant bulb is fine for a basking light...
But your chams free ranging there are not getting ANY UV.:eek:
Glass filters out 99.9% of UVB coming through the window.

I see cages, so if they are only free ranging for a few hours now and then... it doesn't matter...

But if they are spending allot of time out there... then they will need a strong UV source suspended from the ceiling 2.5 feet - 3 feet away... like an ho t5 fixture with an Arcadia 12% bulb in it.

:D

Cheers!

Todd

I have a mini-free range in my office/cham room and to help keep the plants alive I bought a 60w spot grow light at Lowes. The other day I noticed my panther, Poseidon, basking in the grow light. The light is maybe twice as far away from where he was perched (compared to the basking spot and light in his cage) but he seemed to really enjoy it. Even more so than his normal basking light, a regular 100w incandescent bulb. So I started wondering if anyone has ever used these for their primary basking light?

Here's the bulb in question:

Here's a picture of Poseidon in the free range (trying to get over to check out our new girl lol)

Here's another shot of the mini free range:

The plant bulb is fine for a basking light...
But your chams free ranging there are not getting ANY UV.:eek:
Glass filters out 99.9% of UVB coming through the window.

I see cages, so if they are only free ranging for a few hours now and then... it doesn't matter...

But if they are spending allot of time out there... then they will need a strong UV source suspended from the ceiling 2.5 feet - 3 feet away... like an ho t5 fixture with an Arcadia 12% bulb in it.

:D

Cheers!

Todd

Thanks, Todd. The mini free range started as just a spot to put the extra plants while they're being rotated out of the cages but my guys like climbing around on them so I added a few additions to turn it in to a mini-free range. They only spen maybe an hour or so in it every couple/few days so I haven't had to worry about getting an additional UV light yet, especially since the weather is warming up and I can now let them explore the plants outside for some real UV :) I have been meaning to ask you about changing my existing lighting over to one of your T5HO set-ups with Arcadia bulbs though...

Back
Top Bottom