Spike took a tour....

Tanya77

So today I ran out for a while - I closed up Spikes enclosure and normally I ask my daughter whom is 12 years old to keep a close watch out for Spike - I like to make sure the temps and humidity stay where they should be, Alyssa normally monitors things (I guess it's called nervous owners) I am still new to all this and worry a great deal about him (Spike)

I left to take my husband to work. I was only gone for about 2 hours, he was installing my new window motors into my car.. The only time I didn't ask Alyssa to keep an eye out.. I surely didn't think I was going to be gone that long!

I come home and went to open the closet door and glanced inside and noticed, Spike was NOT where I could see him. I then started pulling the plants and all that good stuff from the cage looking for him, NO SPIKE! He was NO where to be found, I then start to panic and started running around the house fearful because I have two cats and a dog. Spike is a little guy, so a cat/dog would think he's a toy and play with him.

I checked the cats, looked around upstairs, downstairs, under the couch. Anywhere where a Chameleon could hide. I was definitely worried now that the dog (Chico) got a hold of him because he seemed to be acting weird! As if he did something wrong. I asked Chico where Spike was and pointed to Spike's enclosure and Chico stood up and walked over to a big tree that I have in the living room and he stood there wagging his tail, I then saw something move in the tree and climbed up onto the couch to get a closer look and low and behold! It's Spike, he saw me and proceeded to take off! I can't believe that he walked from the dinning room all the way into the living room and none of my cats or dog touched him. Chico knew exactly where he was and Baby was sleeping just below the tree so, he had to of climbed over her to get to the tree. Thank god nothing happen to him, I am grateful that my Cats and Dog didn't bother with him.

Ringo decided that he was going to get out of his cage one day (the cages had no doors to in a way it didnt surprise me). Well when we FINALLY found him he was up next to our little girls cage. We had to take down both cages just to get him down and away from the window sill. Since then though he hasnt left his cage.

Yeah, I totally understand when people post about their Cams missing in action! I was so worried I was going to find his remains somewhere.. I guess I have learned a valuable lesson to always make sure the enclosure is locked.. Very scary.. Happy yours was okay.. I still can't believe he made it past the other animals and they didn't harm a scale on his body!

Wow I wish you had a little camera on Spike's back to see his adventure. I'm glad he's safe!!!! Do you have a picture of him?

I know, I should of taken a picture of him in the tree with the cat laying below sleeping! lol! Yes, the pictures are on the forum. My computer went down and lost them, I need to go through the forums and save them to my computer again. :)

On day 2 of having our new male Ambanja, we went to supper with some friends and came home about 9:00 PM.

My wife immediately went to the cage to show our friends our new Cham and immediately exclaimed "OMG...he's GONE" !

We looked all over the enclosure, only to find him curled up buried under a cluster of leaves in our big ivy plant. He was so camoflaged we couldn't see him

I'm talkng a 14" Cham with a body the size of a golf ball in diameter!

To this day, he still sleeps in the same spot and we have to use a small flashlight to show him off when friends come over.

They are a MASTER of disguise...but you HAVE TO LOVE THEM!

Glad you found him safe!

Gary
Tampa, FL

My male Hoehnelli Kermit once took a similar trip.

He got off his free range. dropped 4 feet to the floor, crawled 9 feet to a closed door, went under the door, and walked 15 feet down a hallway. He was missing for 24 hours.
Found him on the back of the tv cables in my living room, when my dog poked him with his nose.

He passed a 10 month old puppy, and a cat.. unscathed.

MO decided to take a little journey out of his cage when he was little. We have 3 cats & and 3 dogs so when my sister called me at work, i had to leave to come find him. Searched for hours, tearing my house apart trying to find him. Couldn't find any of the cats so i began to worry even more. I came back into my room and shut the door and when i did i looked up and MO had fallen asleep on a ledge just above my window where the heat from the AC vent was. Literally less than 2 feet from his cage. Just goes to show that you can freak out as much as you want but they normally don't go to far. :)

Back
Top Bottom