Spiders issues?

fleetwoodchams

Does anyone know how to get rid of house spiders without harmful chemicals.?
I am seeing more and more around the chams room and I can't spray bug killers. I clean my cham cages all the time, even picking up dropping as soon as I see them. All the cages have absorbent puppy pads in the bottom too.
I am removing all spiders that I see just to have little ones in the corners of the room the next day. Obviously just removing them is not working.
Do ultrasonic/electromagnetic plug in devices work? Will these effect my animals?
Any other ideas? Eucalyptus? Lemon? Anything?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like you have free feeders propagating right in your house! Pluck them out of the web whichever way and feed them off! I fed my chams a variety of spiders when I kept them.

I am seeing more and more around the chams room and I can't spray bug killers. I clean my cham cages all the time, even picking up dropping as soon as I see them. All the cages have absorbent puppy pads in the bottom too.
I am removing all spiders that I see just to have little ones in the corners of the room the next day. Obviously just removing them is not working.
Do ultrasonic/electromagnetic plug in devices work? Will these effect my animals?

Thanks in advance.

I dont know- but it took Max 9 mos to get over the bite he got on his face- he has JUST started to shoot his tongue again, he can shoot about 4" now- I would also like to know if anything works- I do keep lose baby mants in my fr/ fly area - I wonder if that would work for the spiders? they do a pretty fair job of keeping the lose ones under control , and seem to stay in the area ~

Sounds to me like you have free feeders propagating right in your house! Pluck them out of the web whichever way and feed them off! I fed my chams a variety of spiders when I kept them.

Interesting to me- maybe because they were in a food bowl they were accepted. Sometimes I get a spider in a chameleon cage making webs and the chams always ignore them, which is irritating for me (why don't you eat the spider so I don't have to catch it?!). But all the lizard books I had as a kid always said one of the benefits of a lizard pet is that it will eat spiders. LOL

When I have mantids I always let a few loose in the house. They seem to take care of most insects that are around.
Thanks Guys

Sounds like lots have had this issue. I think they are drawn by the free food. (Escaped crickets/Fruit flies) However, most are too small to be a food source and seems my chams ignore them. ( I did find a small web in the cage once, he just ignored it. )
Any luck with the natural herbs eucalypytus, lemon etc? I am not sure if I can release mantids in the house. My son already freaks when he finds a loose cricket.
I also heard of ladybugs. They are small so he might not even notice them , if I left some loose. But will I then have a ladybug problem : (

Thanks Guys

Sounds like lots have had this issue. I think they are drawn by the free food. (Escaped crickets/Fruit flies) However, most are too small to be a food source and seems my chams ignore them. ( I did find a small web in the cage once, he just ignored it. )
Any luck with the natural herbs eucalypytus, lemon etc? I am not sure if I can release mantids in the house. My son already freaks when he finds a loose cricket.
I also heard of ladybugs. They are small so he might not even notice them , if I left some loose. But will I then have a ladybug problem : (
Or those ultrasonic/electromagnetic pest controllers? These plug into the wall outlets

When I have mantids I always let a few loose in the house. They seem to take care of most insects that are around.
Pigglet,

If I release mantids in my basement will they survive on spiders for a while? I found out that my basement is where the spiders are coming from. Lots of web in the rafters. Yuk! We don't use it much except in the winter for a coal stove.
If they will be OK down there I can then take them outside. I have a lot of Mantids outside here naturally in the summer. There was one last year I was feeding.

Thanks

Or those ultrasonic/electromagnetic pest controllers? These plug into the wall outlets

I've always heard that these things don't work very well if at all. I doubt they would phase a spider at all.

There are some non-toxic ways to discourage spiders from coming indoors. They taste with sensory buds on their feet, so walking on surfaces sprayed with a disinfectant that tastes bad helps. I've also read that scattering ground Osage orange powder and spraying doorsills, baseboards, paneling joints, sills and cracks with lemon Pledge works. I wonder if a spray that contains cedar oil might work too.

Last edited:
natural spider control

A bit of a lurker here... but this is what works for me.

Spiders HATE peppermint. Hate it. They will avoid it and once they realize that there is no escape from the peppermint, they will supposedly relocate.

Put a few drops of peppermint essential oil into a spray bottle. Add a squirt of liquid soap and fill the bottle with water. Spray the mixture on cobwebs, around doors and windows, and on any surfaces where spiders lurk.

In addition to having a pleasant aroma, this mixture is nontoxic and safe to use around children and pets. Totally works and is a bit more cost effective when used on a larger area. You don’t have to buy some super expensive, fancy essential oil either. According to spiders, peppermint is peppermint.

Spiders HATE peppermint. Hate it. They will avoid it and once they realize that there is no escape from the peppermint, they will supposedly relocate.

Put a few drops of peppermint essential oil into a spray bottle. Add a squirt of liquid soap and fill the bottle with water. Spray the mixture on cobwebs, around doors and windows, and on any surfaces where spiders lurk.

In addition to having a pleasant aroma, this mixture is nontoxic and safe to use around children and pets. Totally works and is a bit more cost effective when used on a larger area. You don’t have to buy some super expensive, fancy essential oil either. According to spiders, peppermint is peppermint.

Yes, I agree. Peppermint was the other common stuff they hate, again because they taste surfaces with their feet.

Sticky Traps!

Kind of surprised nobody has mentioned this......Sticky traps!! Buy a bunch of them and put them in places you have seen spiders and underneath sofas behind cabinets, underneath dressers, anywhere spiders might be lurking. Some spider species like Brown Recluses are a predator, they actually hunt, they do not use a web. So when you get a sticky trap with crickets, bugs of whatever kind, leave the trap there, it is baited, and working better than a plain empty trap! I don't like insecticides in my home and sticky traps work.

Amber,

You get the prize.
I bake a lot so i just happened to have all natural concentrated peppermint essence. You would use this for candy making etc.
I mixed this in a clean spray bottle with some water and shook it till it turned milky .( I added a fair amount of the peppermint oil to the water.)
Then sprayed this in all the problem areas.
Well little spiders ran for their lives. I have tried several things over the past few days.
Lemon pledge, etc. even Dawn dishwashing liquid watered down.
They just laughed at me.
This peppermint does the trick.

And it smells good.
Thanks!!!!

I had to use chemcals. The only one that worked and DID IT was black flag spider spray in a can ($4). You have to spray every baseboard and up the wall creases, outside window and door sills. Switch out crix bins to even taller ones, if you need to. I did. Make sure to move cages away from the walls and get the spiders there and underneath the cages. Then all you have to do is finally deal with their left over babies, and you should be good to go. Respray about every 2-3 months. The spray didn't affect any of my chams, as it is pretty concentrated spray. I just put them in another room or outside while spraying. Move them back later that day. I have been spider free for close to a year now, after never having a problem here in 25 years. They were in crix bins, cham cages, between beds and walls, caught plenty walking over my head at night, even got several bites on back of my head. Worst part, i lost several awesome chams to them. Some won't agree with me, but if it is truly that bad, use the black flag spray.

Thanks in advance.
It just occurred to me.

I have never had spider problems in my house, EVER.
I thought it was just the crickets etc. but then today I looked around and realized where are the ladybugs? Not a ladybug in sight.

Every spring for the 28 years I have lived here there have been lots of lady bugs. Tons
I would see them climbing up the doors outside to sun themselves.They get in the house too sometimes too and I'd catch them and shoo them outside.
This spring NO LADY BUGS? I live in PA
Does anyone else notice the lack of these good bugs?

Back
Top Bottom