spider invasion

junglefries

Avid Member
Recently i have noticed a spider invasion the likes of a horror movie. I have 14 chams and lots of babies. therefore, there is plenty of food for them. the smaller spiders just bring in larger ones that feed on them. my feeder insects are all kept with minimal escapees. i am just curious to see, if anyone has any solutions or ideas. i have already suffered a couple nasty bites and am afraid for my kid and chams. please help. they are everywhere. the movie arachnophobia has nothing on my house. my house is super clean and a townhouse built on a concrete slab. we have new windows and doors, so how they are getting in is a mystery. suggestions............?

I had the same problem, I get HUGE spiders where I live and I found them coming in the house after the free food. I finally had to break down and pay for professional pest control (bi-monthly) which has stopped the spiders thankfully. And it doesn't hurt the Chams or my other animals.

Hedge Apples are said to keep spiders away. My mother has been using them for years... still gets spiders, not near as bad as i do sometimes... so hard to say if it's working...

Personally i just get some spider spray that will kill on contact and find the nest and start a genocide (I HATE SPIDERS!). I dealt with 3 last summer and it got nasty. Not many got in thankfully, and i got to them in time before the majority hatched out of the sack.

If it's too bad though you'll probably need a professional. Had wasps to deal with about 2 weeks ago and mr poison got rid of em for me. (which is good because i'm allergic)

baby jax got bitten

Yesterday one my cages with 8 baby jax that are ten weeks old got invaded. all were in perfect health in the afternoon, eating, & drinking. i personally had actually checked on all of them earlier while watching a movie. about 3-4 hours later one was laying on the bottom of the cage on his side. he was almost jet black and appeared slimy. i didn't really feel the slime as i picked him up with a bag. i didn't want to come in contact with his skin, incase it was possibly something else. However, while watching the movie i squished a spider walking up the cage side. my only guess is he got my baby before i got him. the scary thing is, brown recluse are prevelant around here. not in abundance, but around. today means war. it is on like donkey kong. if you know any of the spiders squatting here, you best tell them to run. i gotta go. Gonna hire some hitmen.

you better try to find a way to be sure they do not get in your chams cages, my biggest panther was bitten many weeks ago in the face , the bite turned black, and he is STILL not right - there is still a small mark, like a scar - but I do not understand why they do not eat the spiders - but he will freak out when he sees a spider
sorry you lose a baby :(
the pic is the bite - the only spider I found in his cage was TINY - so I don't know for sure if he was bitten outside on his f/r - or in the cage-

https://www.chameleonforums.com/i-found-why-max-acting-weird-116623/ this is the link w/ the pic

Do you have all your chameleons in a separate room?

Something that worked for me in the past was I let some Phelsuma loose in the room. In a matter of days the spiders were gone. A couple of females will live just fine on crickets that get loose. You can leave a dish of fruit baby food out for them also.

Carl

I place Roach Motels in the cham room and a couple other places, mainly to catch loose crickets, but they trap all bugs that wander into them. The glue has an odor that I don't care for, but they are non-toxic. Good luck with the spider problem.

Back
Top Bottom