Sphagetti Dinner

AllFallDown

Hmmm...
I am kind of hungry right now and got to thinking. Anyone ever feed their chameleon sphagetti? I am just curious. Yeah, that would be kind of weird. anyone know of any chameleon friendly sphagetti recipies? IE ones that humans can eat too? (No bugs)

I would not mind having a family dinner with my chameleon.

Hahah hornworms would do good as far as olive oil I suppose. That's sounds like gooood meal to me for a cham atleast, a plate of worms!

Hmmm...
I am kind of hungry right now and got to thinking. Anyone ever feed their chameleon sphagetti? I am just curious. Yeah, that would be kind of weird. anyone know of any chameleon friendly sphagetti recipies? IE ones that humans can eat too? (No bugs)

I would not mind having a family dinner with my chameleon.

Mealworm Spaghetti
Ingredients:
1/2 lb. roasted yellow mealworms
4 1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 sprig marjoram
1 sprig thyme
2 bay leaves
1/4 onion, chopped
8 oz. dry spaghetti **
6-8 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
Olive oil
3-4 tablespoons pine nuts, finely chopped
10 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
1/2 lb. purple basil, finely chopped
1/2 lb. ricotta cheese
1/4 cup whole pine nuts
Directions:
Boil water, add sunflower oil, salt, marjoram, thyme, bay leaves, and onion. Add spaghetti. Drain when done. Melt butter in saute pan. Add spaghetti. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix basil, parsley, ricotta, oil, and chopped pine nuts with the spaghetti. Heat, but do not boil. Top with mealworms and whole pine nuts.

** alternatively, make your own pasta and substitute 1/4 grain flour with insect flour. To prepare larva and crickets prior to turning them into flour:
put crickets, superworms, and/or mealworms in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer until they are dead but not completely frozen. Fifteen minutes or so should be sufficient. Then take them out and rinse them under warm water. Cricket's heads, hind legs, and wing cases can be removed according to personal preference.
Spread your cleaned insects out on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Heat over to 175-200 degrees F and dry insects for approximately 1-3 hours, until they are brittle and crush easily. Put them into a coffee bean or spice grinder, and grind them till they are about consistency of wheat germ. Use in practically any recipe!

WOW! Sandrachameleon I know you are the recipe queen (well at least for me you are ;)) here on the forums but that is freakin awesome!:D

Mealworm Spaghetti
Ingredients:
4 1/4 cups water
1 sprig marjoram
1 sprig thyme
2 bay leaves
1/4 onion, chopped
8 oz. dry spaghetti **
6-8 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
Olive oil
1/2 lb. ricotta cheese
1/4 cup whole pine nuts
Directions:
Boil water, add sunflower oil, salt, marjoram, thyme, bay leaves, and onion. Add spaghetti. Drain when done. Melt butter in saute pan. Add spaghetti. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix basil, parsley, ricotta, oil, and chopped pine nuts with the spaghetti. Heat, but do not boil. Top with mealworms and whole pine nuts.

** alternatively, make your own pasta and substitute 1/4 grain flour with insect flour. To prepare larva and crickets prior to turning them into flour:
put crickets, superworms, and/or mealworms in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer until they are dead but not completely frozen. Fifteen minutes or so should be sufficient. Then take them out and rinse them under warm water. Cricket's heads, hind legs, and wing cases can be removed according to personal preference.
Spread your cleaned insects out on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Heat over to 175-200 degrees F and dry insects for approximately 1-3 hours, until they are brittle and crush easily. Put them into a coffee bean or spice grinder, and grind them till they are about consistency of wheat germ. Use in practically any recipe!

YES!!!! I knew Sandra would come through for me! Awesome!

lol

By the way, anyone here experience the joys of home cheesemaking? Fresh Ricotta made the traditional way from whey and vinegar is so friken bomb! Nothing like the store bought!

Then again, fresh mozarilla... (slobber)

I love cheesemaking! Speaking of which, I have not done that in a while. I did recently open up a cheddar I have been aging for 2 years though- dang!

Alright, flying off topic. Saw the ricotta and got hungry!

Mealworm Spaghetti
Ingredients:
4 1/4 cups water
1 sprig marjoram
1 sprig thyme
2 bay leaves
1/4 onion, chopped
8 oz. dry spaghetti **
6-8 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
Olive oil
1/2 lb. ricotta cheese
1/4 cup whole pine nuts
Directions:

Okay,

I've got to know if you've ever actually made it?

If so what do mealworms taste like? Also how well does cricket four actually work to make pasta?

And finally what do we have to do to wrangle a dinner invite? :)

Okay,

I've got to know if you've ever actually made it?

If so what do mealworms taste like? Also how well does cricket four actually work to make pasta?

And finally what do we have to do to wrangle a dinner invite? :)

made it using store bought dry pasta (I've never made pasta, Im too lazy) though I slightly changed the other ingrediets, the mealworms were as directed - hardly noticed the mealworms (which have a slightly nutty taste). It wasnt worth the effort. If Im going to eat mealworms, I'm going to eat them with a little salt and Im going to do it in front of people at work so as to further underscore how awesome I am and how narrow minded they are. -- all done in humour of course. I work at a college where having an open mind and an interest in different cultures (most of the world happily eats larva) is a very good thing. Im not an overly adventurous or risk taking person, so I have to celebrate those times that I am!
next time you're in Canada look me up :)
also - a dehydrator works as well as and maybe better than the oven for drying them out

AllFallDown - I love cheese. I am too lazy to do it myself. Will you come over and make cheese for me and I will make mealworms for you? I suspect the two items would go good together? ;)

Last edited:
made it using store bought dry pasta (I've never made pasta, Im too lazy)

Ooooooohhhh.... nothing like home made pasta! Its super easy to make too (with the correct equipment). Dry stuff does not compare.

AllFallDown - I love cheese. I am too lazy to do it myself. Will you come over and make cheese for me and I will make mealworms for you? I suspect the two items would go good together? ;)

Lol, ok but cheese making take a really long time.... at least for most of the hard cheeses. Some you can get by with a shorter aging period but almost never shorter than 3 months for the hard cheeses.

Mozzarella is a fresh cheese, no real aging there. There is a recipe for a quick easy version that you can do in the microwave. Its good for trying out but to me just kind of tastes like solid milk.

Manchegos tend to have a shorter aging as I recall- like on the order of 1-3 months at the lower end if I recall correctly, I have never made a manchego myself, but love manchego cheese.

I really need to get in the kitchen and start making some cheese again. I had to put that hobby on the back burner on account of time. Cheesemaking can be an all day thing. At the very least- several hours. Most of it is spent staring at the clock waiting for stuff to happen or for the whey to hit certain pH milestones. Its a lot of fun though and quite therapeutic.

Some cheeses don't take long at all. I just happen to like making hard aged cheeses. Personal preference. First cheese I ever made was paneer (I like cooking Indian food). Braindead easy!

Do you make Asiago?

Never made it! Actually, I dont think I have ever made one of the dryer Italian cheeses. I think I had planned to make Parmesan cheese one time (or rather the vegetarian version...) but ended up not making it for some reason. I am a big fan of what are called "Washed curd" cheeses like Gouda. They are pretty easy to make and taste really good.

Never made it! Actually, I dont think I have ever made one of the dryer Italian cheeses. I think I had planned to make Parmesan cheese one time (or rather the vegetarian version...) but ended up not making it for some reason. I am a big fan of what are called "Washed curd" cheeses like Gouda. They are pretty easy to make and taste really good.

the drier stuff would take longer probably? There's got to be a reason why it costs so much more

the drier stuff would take longer probably? There's got to be a reason why it costs so much more

Dryer cheeses like Parmesan are usually pressed longer to expel more whey and generally a lower fat milk is used. Parmesan is also aged longer, usually no less that 9 months I think.

Back
Top Bottom