species of panther?

EveryGreen

Established Member
so i was thinking in the next couple years, when cooper has gotten older i could get a baby panther to keep. (not in coopers current cage) and i was wondering which panther species has the most color, preferably not to exspensive but i need something with color. any suggestions?

i do love veileds still, as he seems to be fascinated by my keyboard and how fast im typing (hes been sitting here for 10 minutes while im on the forums just watching me click and watching the screen in the same spot)

so i was thinking in the next couple years, when cooper has gotten older i could get a baby panther to keep. (not in coopers current cage) and i was wondering which panther species has the most color, preferably not to exspensive but i need something with color. any suggestions?

The species is Furcifer pardalis. Every panther chameleon is F. pardalis. "Locales" are color variations common to various locations, but they are all the same species.

Your question is unanswerable by anyone but you. Each locale is different--you need to research the locales and find one YOU like the best.

It doesn't matter which one you take, they are like Pokémon. Once you start you just gotta catch em all!

*Sings*I want to be the very best, no one ever was, to catch them is my real test to train em is my cause...*

Define what you mean by "colors" (specific color or colors, what pattern, bars etc.) and what do you classify as expensive. Your request is interesting, but a moving target.

I wanted "more color as well", and by that I meant a solid color. I wanted a teal/blue color.

I found mine over at Canvas Chameleon (shameless plug for Nick :cool:).
Here is my Chams father, exactly what I was looking for:

Here is my little Sherman (4 months old, already showing the blue coloring coming thru)

There is no guarantee of final color, but the father and grand father from my reading determine the offspring color to a great extent. My little guy has also been Many different colors as well.

As far as price, since I recently bought mine, I did a lot of "comparison" shopping. The average prices I found were between $250 and $400. The cheaper ones being from a local reptile show and the more expensive ones being from some of the breeders who specialize in Chams.

Best of luck deciding. You will wish you could by a dozen or more. :love:

Last edited:
Here are two locales.
Ambanja with blues and reddish purple and Nosy Valiha with orange, red, yellow and green.
RamboAmbanja.jpg Dexter 11.jpg

The species is Furcifer pardalis. Every panther chameleon is F. pardalis. "Locales" are color variations common to various locations, but they are all the same species.

Your question is unanswerable by anyone but you. Each locale is different--you need to research the locales and find one YOU like the best.
i also really like the furcifers, their colors are all so amazing and addictive i want them all! :eek::mad:

i also really like the furcifers, their colors are all so amazing and addictive i want them all! :eek::mad:

Not all Furcifers are colorful. Some are quite small, plain and green. Furcifer is the genus and has many many different species of chameleons besides panthers. Panthers, Furcifer pardalis, is just one of the Furcifer species.

Not all Furcifers are colorful. Some are quite small, plain and green. Furcifer is the genus and has many many different species of chameleons besides panthers. Panthers, Furcifer pardalis, is just one of the Furcifer species.
the names im gonna have to get used to

the names im gonna have to get used to

There is a lot more to chameleons than just veileds and panthers. There is a whole world full of new and interesting chameleons out there besides those two species. :)

Here is a cute little Madagascar species that I have started working with that is really interesting, Calumma malthe, I bought quite a few from two recent imports. There is very little information on the species, but I am finding them almost terrestrial and they seem to behave very differently than other chameleons. Many of the females seem to be gravid and I have them in lay bins.

The second picture shows a little girl who has escaped her bin for the fourth time. She's on the electrical wire hanging down the left side. The screen top must have been popped up off the edge of the tub at the back right corner. You can see that there is a big lip on the screen. For her to wiggle out of that???? I've never been around any chameleon that would do that--they don't do that kind of escape behavior. A mouse or a rat would, but not a chameleon. The species seems to have honestly earned the nickname I gave them--the Mickey Mouse chameleons with the emphasis on "mouse".

20170224_112740.jpg

20170305_164424.jpg

There is a lot more to chameleons than just veileds and panthers. There is a whole world full of new and interesting chameleons out there besides those two species. :)

Here is a cute little Madagascar species that I have started working with that is really interesting, Calumma malthe, I bought quite a few from two recent imports. There is very little information on the species, but I am finding them almost terrestrial and they seem to behave very differently than other chameleons. Many of the females seem to be gravid and I have them in lay bins.

The second picture shows a little girl who has escaped her bin for the fourth time. She's on the electrical wire hanging down the left side. The screen top must have been popped up off the edge of the tub at the back right corner. You can see that there is a big lip on the screen. For her to wiggle out of that???? I've never been around any chameleon that would do that--they don't do that kind of escape behavior. A mouse or a rat would, but not a chameleon. The species seems to have honestly earned the nickname I gave them--the Mickey Mouse chameleons with the emphasis on "mouse".

View attachment 178006
View attachment 178007
that is very interesting.. my cham also seems to be the escape artist. good luck with em

View attachment 178006
View attachment 178007
I absolutely love these guys! Thanks for the glimpse into their behavior. Would you be willing to do a thread on them and what you have observed? I wold be very interested in what you have learned.

View attachment 178006
View attachment 178007
I absolutely love these guys! Thanks for the glimpse into their behavior. Would you be willing to do a thread on them and what you have observed? I wold be very interested in what you have learned.

(ugh, sorry this posted twice!)

(ugh, sorry this posted twice!)
i agree i am very interested in them @jajeanpierre just tag me when/if and ill read up on it

i agree i am very interested in them @jajeanpierre just tag me when/if and ill read up on it

@Peachypink They are really different but I don't know enough about them to put anything down in writing. I have my suspicions about some of their behavior but I haven't had them long enough. I could be completely wrong about something and then some people take it for fact.

The wiggling out of a tight space is very unusual behavior for a chameleon. Very unusual. The lip on the screen is almost two inches and the space she crawled through was only about an inch. She had to squeeze over the lip of the tub and then down to get around the reasonably tightly fitting lid lip.

I am such a scatter brain, I will forget to tag you! I think there is a function on CF that allows you to "follow" a person. My title of a thread will usually identify what I am posting about especially if it photos or observations about a species.

@Peachypink They are really different but I don't know enough about them to put anything down in writing. I have my suspicions about some of their behavior but I haven't had them long enough. I could be completely wrong about something and then some people take it for fact.

The wiggling out of a tight space is very unusual behavior for a chameleon. Very unusual. The lip on the screen is almost two inches and the space she crawled through was only about an inch. She had to squeeze over the lip of the tub and then down to get around the reasonably tightly fitting lid lip.

I am such a scatter brain, I will forget to tag you! I think there is a function on CF that allows you to "follow" a person. My title of a thread will usually identify what I am posting about especially if it photos or observations about a species.
alright i followed you

Back
Top Bottom