Speaking of escapes...

Heika

Brad said:
Don't let those crickets escape :D

I started a new thread and quoted from another one in case anyone is confused..?

My first cricket accident happened last night. I have a blanket box with the top cut out and screen glued in replacing the plastic. In the months that I have had this cham, I haven't had a single problem with this setup. Until a 20 lb cat named Mischief decided the screen was a good place to nap.

Anyhow, I didn't realize the screen had caved in for at least an hour. I just got an order of 1000 crickets in, so there were lots and lots in the box. Now, there are lots and lots hopping about. One CRAWLED on me while I was sleeping last night. There were two in the bathroom this morning. One in the laundry room when I was doing laundry. One fleeing a different cat, Lucy, through the kitchen this evening. Last night, I caught around a hundred before I fnally decided I had most of them. This morning, I caught maybe 20 more.. and there are more. Lordy.

Heika

at night time turn ONE light on, they are attracted to it just wait and they will come right to you

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh man ... I needed a good laugh!

Sorry to laugh, I know you must be very frustrated with crickets running everywhere. The suggestion idioth gave about using one light is a good one. Here is another: ear plugs :p I can't think of any better suggestions besides using the light and putting in the time to try and get as many as possible.

Lol, it is rather comical in a not-so-funny way. There are 3 cats in this house, and 2 of them are over 10 years old. I haven't seen them so excited about something in years. They are eating the crickets whenever they catch them, and I am finding rejected cricket legs all over the house. Now, how they manage to spit out the legs every time I will never know. I will try the light tonight, and hope to a catch a few more. The cats really have helped out the situation. One cricket woke me up last night crawling on my EYE.. now how gross is that!! It died a quick death, I am afraid. My father has an odd form of dementia, and he focuses on things to the exclusion of anything else. He is now completely focused on loose crickets. I am getting a little tired of his bellow from the living room... "AHHHHHH... cricket!!!!!!" Every half an hour or so, I am running to catch a cricket before he stomps it into the carpet. They are a little tough to clean out when they are smushed beyond recognition. I bought him a couple of new puzzles today, so hopefully he will turn that incredible focus onto one of them soon! The lid has been re-glued, and I added a support so if the cat lays on it, it won't fall in. Lordy, what a mess! :eek:

Heika

The people in the apartment below me is always complaining about crickets and I have been really careful. I finally got it out of them and there was....2 total and they called the land lord 3 times about it. It's not like they are going to eat you.
To house my crickets I actually just use a 10 gal aquarium with a reptile/critter top on it and it works great- they can't escape, or at least as far as I know. I do not breed so I can not say for sure that it will keep the little ones in.
Oh, and also I just dealt with Wormman, an online company, and recieved my 1000 crickets in the mail with 2 day shipping (free) and very few casualities in a blizzard in Wisconsin!

Heika said:
Lol, it is rather comical in a not-so-funny way. There are 3 cats in this house, and 2 of them are over 10 years old. I haven't seen them so excited about something in years. They are eating the crickets whenever they catch them, and I am finding rejected cricket legs all over the house.
Heika

LOL Spencer must be pissed! :p

opti said:
LOL Spencer must be pissed! :p

He doesn't seem to care much.. he is still getting his daily crickets! Sometimes I wonder if he will ever slow down, he is still eating in the neighborhood of 20 crickets a day. As far as the cats go, he doesn't seem to notice them unless the door to the cage is open. I used sun screen on the cage when I built it, and I think he has a hard time seeing out of the cage. In a house with 3 large dogs and 3 cats, that is an advantage for his stress levels.

Heika

Back
Top Bottom