Southern California MULBERRY LEAVES

Edward Kim

Established Member
Hey all, I know its a shot in the dark but does anyone near Chino know where can find mulberry trees or have leaves. I have a ton of silkworms and don't want to deal with the artificial chow.

Hey all, I know its a shot in the dark but does anyone near Chino know where can find mulberry trees or have leaves. I have a ton of silkworms and don't want to deal with the artificial chow.

I bought a bunch of mulberry trees to plant--two native varieties and one of the commercial variety from Pakistan. They are a fruiting tree and any nursery that sells fruit trees will sell them. They grow in Southern California.

They are a big tree so you might be able to find someone in your neighborhood who has one who will let you have some of the leaves.

I'll set up some sleeves to try to grow them outside on the trees, but I suspect my young trees won't have enough leaves to support hundreds of silkworms or I'll end up with much too extreme weather conditions in south central Texas for the silkworms.

Actually my mulberry tree is already leafing out and blossoming, it is young, you have to take in account the lack of cold we have had in CA recently.

I usually find Mullberry trees at schools and parks. I have one at a near by school that I raid regularly.:) I need to go see if it has leaves growing on it yet. Last time I checked it had leaves but they were not new growth and not really suitable for my silks.

How's the new Meru doing Ed?

No leaves on my big tree. Looks like it just about to bud out and snow pollen for a few weeks before the leaves start to spout.

Try your local nursery you might be able to get some but you will probably have to buy it. And there not pretty cheap depending the size. I use to go to my local nursery and get the owner would give me some.

Actually my mulberry tree is already leafing out and blossoming, it is young, you have to take in account the lack of cold we have had in CA recently.

it's true younger trees do leaf out a bit earlier, but the blossoms come out first. I had a friend who did feed the blossoms to very young silks, he said it worked but just ok. The worms didn't grow at the normally rapid rate.
My Mulberry trees are more mature and they are just starting to bud out.

I usually find Mullberry trees at schools and parks. I have one at a near by school that I raid regularly.:) I need to go see if it has leaves growing on it yet. Last time I checked it had leaves but they were not new growth and not really suitable for my silks.

How's the new Meru doing Ed?

Yeah, most of the trees have been on private property. Ill try some schools and parks next!

The female is doing great, just bred her to my male the other day. Looking to increase her protein and fat by introducing silkworms and waxworms to her diet.

Back
Top Bottom