Source for silkworms?

azrael

All of my usual sources for silkworms, including mulberry farms are sold out. Does anyone know where I can buy live silkworms that currently has them available? I've also checked the classified section here.

I came up with Zip I'm afraid. They always get a little hard to get during the winter but it seems this year is unusual. Seems like Coastal is ALWAYS out.

Why not just buy the eggs? They're pretty easy to hatch and raise, and much more cost effective.

I was able to submit an order for a live silkworm pod from Coastal Silkworms, just select east coast.

For me it was probably more costly than if I could order from the west coast, but I don't think it should make much difference for you in Illinois.

Buying the eggs and hatching them out on your own takes about a month total, but after you experiment and give it a shot, it really isn't difficult, and is much more cost effective. WowBango posted a good link you should check out. I bought 500 eggs from Coastal Silkworms, along with the chow of course. That must have been months ago now. I was unsure at first, but it's really a lot easier than some think it is. And it's a cool process too!

Back
Top Bottom