sooo we ran out of feeders how bad are mice?

jurjenfromholland

so we ran out of feeders and i had 2 mices in the fridge...
they are like 6 cms.. my veiled loves them...
but they seem not that health or are they? pinkies have no bones
but mice has?? any advice? my little mate loves them :D

It is a general belief among most chameleon owners that it isn't the best feeder.

Here is a portion of the "Chameleon Food" page in the Care Resources.

(https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/)

"Vertebrates (pinkies, lizards, etc.) are not a notable part of a chameleon's normal diet in the wild. Too many animal proteins in the diet of an animal that's not a carnivore can wreak havoc on their kidneys leading to kidney damage and gout due the difference in protein breakdown. Everything your chameleon needs can be obtained through an all-insect diet with good gutloading and supplementation."

The calcium doesn't outweigh the excessive protein in them.

Just go get more bugs from wherever you can.

Too much protein can be a serious issue for your Cham.

I know that lizards may not be a staple in thier diet but they eat whatever they can in the wild. even other chameleons

The calcium doesn't outweigh the excessive protein in them. Just go get more bugs from wherever you can.
Too much protein can be a serious issue for your Cham.

agreed. One or two in a year will be okay, but dont make this a regular occurence. In the wild they will on occassion get a small lizard or even a small bird, but its not common; certainly mice/rodents are not a natural prey choice. Their systems do best with insects.

Your animal will be fine for a week now without food, so long as it is getting water, and surely you'll be able to get bugs within that time frame.

Back
Top Bottom