Sooo a newb trying to do this Cham thing

Redbulllady

Established Member
Hey everybody! I’m brand spanking new and I know I have some lighting issues and looking for some feedback and all the things I need to fix before my new Nosy Be baby comes in a month. I have a 2x2x4 reptibreeze, golden pothos, majesty palm, umbrella tree, some sort of philodendron?, a few fakes for fill until the live ones do their thing, repti fogger and will make a diy dripper closer to arrival,Repti sun 24” t5 high output hood,24w t5 5.0 uvb, and reptizoo uv 100 watt with 5 inch generic dome. When I test the heat on basking branch I’m getting I’m only getting 78 f max?! What am I doing wrong? I live in northern Arkansas. Inside ambient is around 73. Cage is in living room in a low traffic corner. Is a vent close but I have it closed? It’s this most convenient place that gets the best sun exposure. Also have looked up vets (only one in my area has Cham experience) do I need to do a wellness check? He’s coming from Kammerflage and I trust them but didn’t know if it’s a “must do”, don’t want to stress him for nothing. Ok brain trust please help lol 😀😀

Attachments

• D7B15C81-0870-44D2-B703-E1B23BA9B873.jpeg
    D7B15C81-0870-44D2-B703-E1B23BA9B873.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 48E20266-A260-456D-B710-4D59CE8AD4AA.jpeg
    48E20266-A260-456D-B710-4D59CE8AD4AA.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 7FE00B80-1997-451C-A18A-EE514CA92E17.jpeg
    7FE00B80-1997-451C-A18A-EE514CA92E17.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 8F67D6D2-78D0-49CA-BE4D-9DE93E8A1AB4.jpeg
    8F67D6D2-78D0-49CA-BE4D-9DE93E8A1AB4.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 133
Love your title!
Do you happen to still have the box for the heat bulb? what is the distance to basking branch?

Being as how your getting baby from kammerflage I would not be concerned about a well visit. You could always take in a fecal as a just in case measure but I would be shocked if baby had any parasite issue.

Figure out a way to mount a shelf so you can put the fogger on it. I would not trust the top screen of a reptibreeze cage for holding that weight over time.

Move the fogger farther away from your lighting. you do not want it fogging up into your fixture. You will also need to lift the hose about an inch off the top of the screen or it will back water up into the tube due to condensation build up on the screen.

Will you be getting a feeder run?

For basking temp you want a wired probe gauge. With the temp gun it will only measure the surface temp. It will not be accurate for you. Also you have to get closer with them and actually point the laser at something sitting there like the stick rather then the air.

Love your title!
Do you happen to still have the box for the heat bulb? what is the distance to basking branch?

Being as how your getting baby from kammerflage I would not be concerned about a well visit. You could always take in a fecal as a just in case measure but I would be shocked if baby had any parasite issue.
Haha thanks! Awesome I’ve heard nothing but good from Kammerflage. Here are some pics! Pretty sure I need to tweak that branch lower is it 8” for a 3-4 mo old?

Attachments

• ECAAF1EE-E8FA-4557-85E7-EE8EA491DD14.jpeg
    ECAAF1EE-E8FA-4557-85E7-EE8EA491DD14.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 71
  • A16E8B86-A704-4353-B4CC-6312689E9D05.jpeg
    A16E8B86-A704-4353-B4CC-6312689E9D05.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 80
Figure out a way to mount a shelf so you can put the fogger on it. I would not trust the top screen of a reptibreeze cage for holding that weight over time.

Move the fogger farther away from your lighting. you do not want it fogging up into your fixture. You will also need to lift the hose about an inch off the top of the screen or it will back water up into the tube due to condensation build up on the screen.

Will you be getting a feeder run?

For basking temp you want a wired probe gauge. With the temp gun it will only measure the surface temp. It will not be accurate for you. Also you have to get closer with them and actually point the laser at something sitting there like the stick rather then the air.
Thank you I was wondering about the fogger situation and have sooo had those issues you mentioned already haha! A wired probe huh? Can do! Does that stay in permanently? Yeah I dunno if my phone camera does word thing with the laser but it says the same thing on the branch (I’m vertically challenged)

I made this feeder you think it will be ok for a baby? Just hadn’t hung it yet in case I needed to add/move branches😀

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 71
First off, congrats on jumping into this crazy hobby! You are doing a fantastic job so far, and the Kammers have some beautiful chams, so don't worry, your new little one will be gorgeous and healthy! As for the basking bulb, I'd just take back that one that you bought and get your money back. Then, head to a Lowe's or Home Depot (or similar) and get some incandescent lightbulbs. Make sure you DON'T get LEDs because they don't have any heat output. I generally go with the 63 watt, but you'll have to play around depending on your distance from the basking branch, etc. Get a 4 pack and see what works. If it's too hot, take them back and drop down to the 54 watt (I think that's the next one down). You don't want to get a spot light, just a regular lightbulb will be just fine. Good luck and keep asking questions, we're here to help!

First off, congrats on jumping into this crazy hobby! You are doing a fantastic job so far, and the Kammers have some beautiful chams, so don't worry, your new little one will be gorgeous and healthy! As for the basking bulb, I'd just take back that one that you bought and get your money back. Then, head to a Lowe's or Home Depot (or similar) and get some incandescent lightbulbs. Make sure you DON'T get LEDs because they don't have any heat output. I generally go with the 63 watt, but you'll have to play around depending on your distance from the basking branch, etc. Get a 4 pack and see what works. If it's too hot, take them back and drop down to the 54 watt (I think that's the next one down). You don't want to get a spot light, just a regular lightbulb will be just fine. Good luck and keep asking questions, we're here to help!
Thank you @absolutbill! If setting up the enclosure is this much fun I can’t wait to see what’s it’s going to be like having a a new Cham friend/overlord! Haha but seriously thank you for the advice. I will get some regular bulbs. You reckon the 5 inch dome is ok though? I can get a arm clip if it’s too close after testing. Just to be clear I’m looking for a basking temp in 85ish?

Hey everybody! I’m brand spanking new and I know I have some lighting issues and looking for some feedback and all the things I need to fix before my new Nosy Be baby comes in a month. I have a 2x2x4 reptibreeze, golden pothos, majesty palm, umbrella tree, some sort of philodendron?, a few fakes for fill until the live ones do their thing, repti fogger and will make a diy dripper closer to arrival,Repti sun 24” t5 high output hood,24w t5 5.0 uvb, and reptizoo uv 100 watt with 5 inch generic dome. When I test the heat on basking branch I’m getting I’m only getting 78 f max?! What am I doing wrong? I live in northern Arkansas. Inside ambient is around 73. Cage is in living room in a low traffic corner. Is a vent close but I have it closed? It’s this most convenient place that gets the best sun exposure. Also have looked up vets (only one in my area has Cham experience) do I need to do a wellness check? He’s coming from Kammerflage and I trust them but didn’t know if it’s a “must do”, don’t want to stress him for nothing. Ok brain trust please help lol 😀😀
Welcome and it’s no hobby just a way of life 🤗
You're doing great so far 👌🏻👌🏻
Can’t wait to see pictures of him, Kammerflage’s Chams are always true eye candies.

Thank you @absolutbill! If setting up the enclosure is this much fun I can’t wait to see what’s it’s going to be like having a a new Cham friend/overlord! Haha but seriously thank you for the advice. I will get some regular bulbs. You reckon the 5 inch dome is ok though? I can get a arm clip if it’s too close after testing. Just to be clear I’m looking for a basking temp in 85ish?
I just use the domes that you can get at Home Depot/Lowe's/wherever as well (because they are cheaper as well!). I think the opening is larger than 5", but it works just fine. I'm guessing you are getting a young panther cham from Kammer's, so 85 should be good. Just keep an eye on him/her that they aren't basking with their mouth open, which is a sign they are too warm. Also, if you get a female you may want to try to keep her on the cooler side to limit her production of eggs which will take a toll on her body and shorten her lifespan (also you would keep the amount of feeders you feed lower than the amount you'd feed a male).
Just wait until you start learning how to raise different types of bugs and propigating your own plants for the cage. I've been doing this for about 14 years and still find it thrilling!

I just use the domes that you can get at Home Depot/Lowe's/wherever as well (because they are cheaper as well!). I think the opening is larger than 5", but it works just fine. I'm guessing you are getting a young panther cham from Kammer's, so 85 should be good. Just keep an eye on him/her that they aren't basking with their mouth open, which is a sign they are too warm. Also, if you get a female you may want to try to keep her on the cooler side to limit her production of eggs which will take a toll on her body and shorten her lifespan (also you would keep the amount of feeders you feed lower than the amount you'd feed a male).
Just wait until you start learning how to raise different types of bugs and propigating your own plants for the cage. I've been doing this for about 14 years and still find it thrilling!
Thank you so much for the advice! Yes I believe he will be about 3 or 4 months? Bugs are something I’m still researching. I got a resounding no to roaches from the husband so looking into silkies, horns, and crickets.

Haha thanks! Awesome I’ve heard nothing but good from Kammerflage. Here are some pics! Pretty sure I need to tweak that branch lower is it 8” for a 3-4 mo old?
Ok that bulb needs to be returned. It is a mercury vapor 2 in 1 bulb. So it has the heat output but it also has UVB. These can be dangerous for chameleons without the use of a solarmeter 6.5 to know what your UVI output is. You want a regular household incandescent bulb. 75 watt to start and check temps with the wired probe. You would leave this permanently and use zip ties to gently secure it to the branch. Zoo med makes a decent one that is not expensive. You also want to lift the heat fixture up off the cage a few inches. It is very common for babies to climb the top panel.

The feeder cup you may have issues with the back piece you put in. Really want something they can climb on and not stick to. And you want to take a lighter and melt the edges of the plastic that you cut. I really love this feeder in the large size for screen cages. Also it is wonderful for keeping the feeders in. Put it up near the basking level near a branch and baby will be able to see the bugs and eat. https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

Ok that bulb needs to be returned. It is a mercury vapor 2 in 1 bulb. So it has the heat output but it also has UVB. These can be dangerous for chameleons without the use of a solarmeter 6.5 to know what your UVI output is. You want a regular household incandescent bulb. 75 watt to start and check temps with the wired probe. You would leave this permanently and use zip ties to gently secure it to the branch. Zoo med makes a decent one that is not expensive. You also want to lift the heat fixture up off the cage a few inches. It is very common for babies to climb the top panel.

The feeder cup you may have issues with the back piece you put in. Really want something they can climb on and not stick to. And you want to take a lighter and melt the edges of the plastic that you cut. I really love this feeder in the large size for screen cages. Also it is wonderful for keeping the feeders in. Put it up near the basking level near a branch and baby will be able to see the bugs and eat. https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery
Gotcha, Ok I will pick up some regular bulbs for sure. Awesome will make the adjustments on the feeder. Hmm I wonder

Hey thank you for all the advice! I will take all I can get. I’ll get started on all that.

Gotcha, Ok I will pick up some regular bulbs for sure. Awesome will make the adjustments on the feeder. Hmm I wonder

Hey thank you for all the advice! I will take all I can get. I’ll get started on all that.
Thank you for the probe thermometer advice! I got it in today switched bulbs and now I’m a little too hot @ 86 degrees so I’m going to get a spacer or try some lower watts. I also ordered that feeder run you recommended because that milk jug looked so ugly

Thank you for the probe thermometer advice! I got it in today switched bulbs and now I’m a little too hot @ 86 degrees so I’m going to get a spacer or try some lower watts. I also ordered that feeder run you recommended because that milk jug looked so ugly
You can also get the exo terra lamp bracket. But modify it to hook the mounting plate onto the corner of the cage frame. Pre drill holes into the mounting plate where it lines up then use 1/4 inch self tapping screws to mount it to the frame. Looks like this... I use a clamp lamp with mine but you can use the hanging kind as well.

I would recommend this for sure with a baby in a screen cage... Because he more then likely will climb. https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Ho...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

basking hooked in3.JPG basking hooked in2.JPG

@Beman yep it’s on the cart now. Do you think I need to elevate the uvb as well?
Yes, I would then later when baby is no longer screen climbing because it is too big for it you can drop it back down on the top and lower his highest sticks.

So you would raise it 4 inches off the top. Then the closest branch below it needs to be 5 inches down from the screen. So your total distance is 9 inches. But this way if he screen climbs the top under the uvb he will be within safe UVI levels.

Back
Top Bottom