Something wrong with 4 week old Baby

tarrynh011

Hi All, I just got home from work and found my baby 4 month old chameleon lying in a very weird position. I noticed immediately that something was not ok as the whole side of his face including his eye is pitch black. He is in an enclosure with other 5 other babies and he is the smallest as he was the last to hatch. I honestly do not beleive these are burns but I think he may have fallen during the day and hit his head badly!
I've taken him out the enclosure now and put him in a hospital bin, but he's doing this really weird thing and keeps walking around in circles but for some reason his one back foot stays in the same place and then he ends up getting himself all twisted.. also while he's going around in circles the black side of his face is facing downwards and rubbing against what ever surface he's on. Could he be concust?
Photos for reference and I have a video aswell if needed.

Attachments

• 20221214_172713.jpg
    20221214_172713.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20221214_172732.jpg
    20221214_172732.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221214_172751.jpg
    20221214_172751.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20221214_173140.jpg
    20221214_173140.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 52
So no way they can access the top screen? Could very well have been from a fall. Poor little thing.

All 6 of the babie from time to time climb upside down on the top screen, ive made sure that the lights are raised enough so that if they do climb on the mesh they can't touch the uvb tubes at all and the heat lamp is raised much much higher for accurate temperature.. what dose this look like to you Beman? Could it be a burn?

No I would say fall due to the circles. I agree with Missskittles

I’m sorry he isn’t doing well. Fingers crossed baby bounces back and this isn’t permanent.

I am sorry you are having to go through this. I is very possible that the baby has some brain swelling on the black side where the impact occurred which would cause neuological issues. As the swelling goes down neurological functions may return. Its a wait and see period to see if there is any permanent injury. also nerves can "sleep" to avoid further injury from swelling and damaged tissue. If this occurrs, for exampke an arm may not work but once the area is healed, the nerve wakes up. Time period for this is varied. If he lives through the intial week, he may survive and the neorological issues may repair themselves. You did the right thing by seperating the baby in a hospital setup so he wont fall. If you put in a branch for him to get off the floor of the cage, line the bottom with bubblewrap to cushion any fall. Also you might want to hand feed crickets or swirch to baby mealworms as hunting could result in further injury. Please keep us updated. Also as he was the runt, he may have been picked on if food was not plentiful.

@mzthank you for your responce, and will do as you've suggested,Thank you

Because he is the runt of the litter I have made sure that he eats often, when I fill up their feeders I have a dell stick over the one cut that I specifically place him on ever feeding and I watch to make sure none of the bigger ones bully him. This is only at feeding time though so what they do during the day I can't be sure.

I just dont know how to hand feed the tiny little guy Do you have any recommendations on how to do it?

.. its as if the left side of his face has a huge weight in it and he just can't lift his little head.

Do you think I can hand syringe (very liquid) hills dog food?

On the positive side the blackness on the left side of his face has much lighter but he's still going around in circles and getting all twisted

Attachments

• 20221215_122941.jpg
    20221215_122941.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221215_122929.jpg
    20221215_122929.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Poor little one. 😢 Is he not able to focus on and grab food? I wouldn’t give him any dog food. If he needs help I’d liquefy some insects for him. Is totally a gross thing to do, but would be better for him. This is what has been recommended in the past
@MissSkittles thank you very much for this, what is pedialyte? I think is spelled that correctly?

Back
Top Bottom