Something to read...WC

farrahsc

I just read this story about wild caught chameleons and I thought it was well worth sharing. If you or are thinking about getting a WC please read it. It will break your heart :(
You can read it HERE
"I urge everyone to provide the benefit of veterinary care to all chameleons, and to give special consideration to the wild-caught chameleons who sacrificed their freedom in the wild in exchange for the joy and wonder they bring to their human caretakers."
I loved that line!

I read that same article sometime last year. Very horrible. It's copyright is from 1999. If the article is that old I'm hoping care for WC chameleons has gotten a lot better in the last decade.

Yah me too, it would be nice to find something similar but more updated lol. Makes you wonder how they even survive getting to the US, poor babies.

And you know reputable breeders still sell WC like the pygmy's I got from flchams. I don't think they would get them from someone who would treat them this way to import them.

I agree with you. Maybe some of the breeders can chime in on this. Hopefully there has been a massive change since this article was written.

I havent been there when they opened a newly imported shipment. But I can say the quality of the wc's I see for sale now is 100% better than in '96-'99 when I was a member of the CIN. I still see some of the lesser valued wc's subjected to improper husbandry and poor care. But most of the panthers and higher end species I see look pretty good considering the journey they just took.

The 2 wc's I just added to my collection were in good shape when I got them on Wednesday. They look a little bruised and they need a few weeks to get that wc ashy look washed/sheded off. Mine came in gravid so it will be a few weeks min before i treat them. Gotta wait for them to drop their clutches first. So I will post what we see as far as parasites then.;)

I don't think they would get them from someone who would treat them this way to import them.

Problem is, getting to the truth about their care...we all know sellers will tell you what they think you want to hear. And, even with the best intentions ignorance kills.

I once special-ordered a verrucosus through a great mom-pop petshop. These folks were really caring, responsible, and I got all my cham supplies through them. We had talked about this order for a month. They got it from a long term trusted dealer's stock list.

Well, the cham arrived stapled into a dry paper bag, no moisture or perch, so emaciated we thought the bag was empty, so dehydrated its skin was like wrinkled tissue paper, eyes completely sunken, and it wasn't even a verrucosus...a full grown Oustaleti. Of course I took it straight to my vet for IV fluids (this was before the OTC Pedialyte or other rehydration options). It died miserably that night of total organ failure. Of course I got right back to the shop about it, they investigated their supplier and "fired" him.

The worst can happen even if you try to do everything right. I can still see that poor animal clearly after about 20 years. All but two of my other wcs have been adopted from owners who got in over their heads instead of buying them directly.

I'm so glad to hear they are getting better Texas! And Carlton that is horrible! Poor little guy! I can completely understand how that image is something you will never forget. I want a verrucosus so bad! They had one at the expo but I didn't have a big enough set up for him. They had him and a panther in a 10 gallon tank, both were either full grown or pretty close. It broke my heart :(

Back
Top Bottom