Someone please HELP.

Tylerdowd

So I am pretty new to keeping chameleons I have a 5 and half month old male panther chameleon (had him for about 2 months) but he is always pretty dark and claws at the enclosure to come out. Is this somthing I should be worried about? I have a basking spot between 29-30 degrees and gradient temperature of around 24-25 degrees he has his Arcadia uvb bulb of 6% he is in a exo Terra 90x45x90 glass terrarium I have reptile fan attached on top one pushing new air in and one taking old air out. The enclosure gets misted twice a day using a mistking system (sometime I will hand spray an extra time if I see him licking branches throughout the day) he has plenty to climb and places to hide he will even sleep out in the open so I’m sure he isn’t scared at all and feels comfortable inside I am giving him the correct supplements. I will include photos of his inclosure. hope you guys can help. Thank you
D15AA0E7-0BBB-4759-951C-5341B975CA93.jpeg

So I am pretty new to keeping chameleons I have a 5 and half month old male panther chameleon (had him for about 2 months) but he is always pretty dark and claws at the enclosure to come out. Is this somthing I should be worried about? I have a basking spot between 29-30 degrees and gradient temperature of around 24-25 degrees he has his Arcadia uvb bulb of 6% he is in a exo Terra 90x45x90 glass terrarium I have reptile fan attached on top one pushing new air in and one taking old air out. The enclosure gets misted twice a day using a mistking system (sometime I will hand spray an extra time if I see him licking branches throughout the day) he has plenty to climb and places to hide he will even sleep out in the open so I’m sure he isn’t scared at all and feels comfortable inside I am giving him the correct supplements. I will include photos of his inclosure. hope you guys can help. Thank you
Enclosure actually looks pretty good (notes below). What substrate? Bioactive?

You might try lowering the basking temp—just a degree or two.

Fans on top will push air around, but not provide sufficient air-flow (air changes). To do that, you need an intake at/near the bottom that will create a natural chimney effect, and the fans will not be necessary.

If you need to hand spray in addition to the MK, I'd consider adding another (brief) misting session.

Are you sure he's clawing to come out and not trying to climb? :unsure: Is there anything in the room that might attract him that he might be trying to get to?

Unless the behavior is obsessive, IDT it's something to worry about.

As to dark color(s), you may find a clue here: panther chameleon dark color

Enclosure actually looks pretty good (notes below). What substrate? Bioactive?

You might try lowering the basking temp—just a degree or two.

Fans on top will push air around, but not provide sufficient air-flow (air changes). To do that, you need an intake at/near the bottom that will create a natural chimney effect, and the fans will not be necessary.

If you need to hand spray in addition to the MK, I'd consider adding another (brief) misting session.

Are you sure he's clawing to come out and not trying to climb? :unsure: Is there anything in the room that might attract him that he might be trying to get to?

Unless the behavior is obsessive, IDT it's something to worry about.

As to dark color(s), you may find a clue here: panther chameleon dark color
Its all bio active. Have a lot of clean up crew etc etc the substrate I use is the coco bricks. I use to have it mist 3 times a day but the roots that have gone through my fleece that separates hydro balls and substrate doesn’t take In the water that accumulates in false bottom so I had to reduce to using mistking twice a day and just lightly hand spray. I might try a incorporate a fan inside at the bottom towards the front vents just to help with ventilation thank you.

There are front vents? If they're at/near the bottom, you really don't need the fan at all, and a fan at the top could be counterproductive—fighting the natural air flow unless it points straight up.

That MK can be programmed down to seconds; I only mentioned it because we humans can forget or get delayed—the time can't.

I don't do bioactive, but it reads like you may have a drainage problem. Lots of folks on here that do bioactive that may be able to help.

There are front vents? If they're at/near the bottom, you really don't need the fan at all, and a fan at the top could be counterproductive—fighting the natural air flow unless it points straight up.

That MK can be programmed down to seconds; I only mentioned it because we humans can forget or get delayed—the time can't.

I don't do bioactive, but it reads like you may have a drainage problem. Lots of folks on here that do bioactive that may be able to
Yh it has front vents but I felt as if it wasn’t enough airflow for him I will turn the fans off I have in there at the moment and go from there. Yeah my drainage is playing up but there isn’t enough water sat at bottom to syringe out as the roots mainly soak it all up but I will speak to some people on here about it and see what they suggest thank you

As long as the temps & humidity inside the enclosure are higher than the ambient room air, a chimney effect will be generated.

IDK if you're familiar with wood stoves, but the intake vent can be dialed down to a fraction of a square inch and still provide sufficient air to sustain the chimney effect—and keep the wood inside burning (albeit at a controlled rate).

Back
Top Bottom