Someone help me with this question

jeremylee33

My 10 month old male panther is looking healthy ,drinking, eating,wakes up at 7am sleeps about 7-7:30pm. Here for the past week he is closing his eyes on and off even under the basking area. At times he will just sit there and close a eye or both and hold them shut for about 15sec. So when the light comes on how long does it take for a normal cham. to wake up and start moving around and why does he move around the cage from top to mid ways down and around and around ...is that normal? His basking temp average is 89-91. room rep is 73. i use a monsoon mister 4 time a day for 45 sec he has a umbrella plant as his main structure. i use a 100watt sun glo with uvb and a 5.0 reptisun tube 24"with uvb. I dust his crickets with reptical d3 every other day recommended by screameleons and multi-vite twice a week.His poop looks good and doesn't smell at all,and is not runny.I hold him maybe once every two to tree weeks.just for the record he is pissy always has been since he came from screameleons in Jan. and his behavior has been this way for a while since jan. i even took him to a vet..he didn't find anything wrong with him so as i sit here and watch him close his eyes and not knowing what is wrong is driving me and my wife bats. I posted a pic of him so you can see him..what the hell is going on

Attachments

• 106_0196.jpg
    106_0196.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 106_0197.jpg
    106_0197.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 121
  • 106_0198.jpg
    106_0198.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 106_0199.jpg
    106_0199.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 106_0201.jpg
    106_0201.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 111
At times he will just sit there and close a eye or both and hold them shut for about 15sec. So when the light comes on how long does it take for a normal cham. to wake up and start moving around and why does he move around the cage from top to mid ways down and around and around ...is that normal? His basking temp average is 89-91. room rep is 73. i use a monsoon mister 4 time a day for 45 sec he has a umbrella plant as his main structure. i use a 100watt sun glo with uvb and a 5.0 reptisun tube 24"with uvb. I dust his crickets with reptical d3 every other day recommended by screameleons and multi-vite twice a week.

What's the relative humidity in his cage (high and low)? Does he rub his face on the branches or have trouble shedding? Check his humidity level and the gauge you use to measure it to be sure it's working. Could be he's a bit drier than you realize. I think as long as he's moving in and out of his basking area, is alert, eating and drinking normally he is OK. It would be normal for a cham to first wake up, warm up, maybe eat something, then go check the "borders" of his turf. Then once he's done his little patrol to settle in a favorite place for much of the day. I would be more worried about him sitting with eye(s) closed for a long period of time....like a half hour, not 15 seconds.

I looked at your pics again...I would definitely check the cage humidity and double check how much he's drinking.

Please fill out the how to ask for help form k9luvn supplied.

Things like what type of multivit are you using, gut load, watering technique, humidity are possible simple corrections needed to solve you problem.

Also from your post...I would not dust every otherday with d3. Screameleons is a reputable breeder but i would not do this personally.

I use rep-cal herptive multi vite,i gut load my crickets with fresh oranges ,and greens, shredded carrots,bee pollen.what is a good dusting formula that you guys know of

Im suprised no one has mentioned the Sun Glo lamp that you're using. From what I undersand, a strong UVB lamp can cause eye irrtation/damage. The first sign is a reptile closing its eyes. The 5.0 is all I use and I supplement with calcium w/d3 once or twice/month. If I get them outside a lot, I don't supplement with d3. Every feeding I dust lightly with calcium plus.

Im suprised no one has mentioned the Sun Glo lamp that you're using. From what I undersand, a strong UVB lamp can cause eye irrtation/damage. The first sign is a reptile closing its eyes. The 5.0 is all I use and I supplement with calcium w/d3 once or twice/month. If I get them outside a lot, I don't supplement with d3. Every feeding I dust lightly with calcium plus.

That is exactly what I was thinking. You are using two different types of uvb lighting and perhaps it is just too intense for his eyes. I would just use the reptisun and then get a white housebulb about a 60 watt for baskng. Or you could just use the powersun which is a combo uva/uvb but personally I would go wih the Reptisun and housebulb. Try that and see if that works. You can also try keeping him out of the cage for awhile and see if he keeps them open. It could very well be he lighting is too intense.

Are you sure about that "sun glo" lamp? I can't find a UVB bulb called "sun glo" on the Exoterra site and they seem to have the copyright on "sun glo".

Are you saying that he shuts his eye during the day or are you saying when you first turn his lights on in the morning it takes him awhile to open his eyes?

Back
Top Bottom