Someone got a new castle! (56k Warning)

I am using a Repti-Sun 5.0 for uvb, and am wondering if I should have up it to the 10.0?

I already asked this question and everyone told me to stick with the 5.0
A 10.0 couldn't hurt, but the 5.0 is more than fine. I turned my fixture diagonally for more of a UV surface area. If your cham wants to absorb the UV he'll go under it. He doesn't really need it to penatrate all the way to the bottom. You have to replace it every six months anyways.

-Andrea

Where you live your chams are lucky enough to get out to see the sun!!! But for the time inside as mine are 85% of the time, I use the 10. because it can't hurt go have it go to 20" instread of the 5.0 that only goes down 10". I think it is a choice that for most people doesn't make a lot of difference.

Yes Motor has already started telling his cage mates they have to stay and he is going to a great new home.:(

Hey Jay,

realy nice setup.
I bet your cham will love it.

I'm already planing a setup like this for Splat.
it will also have a mistking misting setup and plenty of plants too.
already desided on the same cage as you, but I might get it in black, as it would match the rest of my house better. yet the silver looks quite nice too.

the only differance is I might not be using too many vines or dowels/branches running across the cage as I would want to remove plants at times for cage cleaning.
at least it's something I'm thinking of before I devote the time for such a project.

anyway, just wanted to say "great job" and thanks for sharing your pics with us for others to get some good ideas.

Harry

Where you live your chams are lucky enough to get out to see the sun!!! But for the time inside as mine are 85% of the time, I use the 10. because it can't hurt go have it go to 20" instread of the 5.0 that only goes down 10". I think it is a choice that for most people doesn't make a lot of difference.

Yes Motor has already started telling his cage mates they have to stay and he is going to a great new home.:(

I try to get mine out once or twice a week as weather permits. It's been beautiful here the past month or so, the sun cages are getting use.
We need to work out some arangment where some of the kids get to spent the summer with uncle Jay! hehe..:D

Motor will be a happy camper and enjoy California, I'm sure. I wish I had more room, I'd love to take a pair. :) Motors brothers and sisters won't have to worry about missing him growing up, as I will post updates often. All you need to do is get them to aim thier little googly eyes at the monitor.:D

Nice setup. Do you ever have problems with him eating the soil? It looks like there is some perilite in it. I don't like to have exposed soil because I don't know whats living in the soil and perilite isn't very digestible. I cover mine with river rocks. Also depending on how long your mist sessions are I would consider raising those pots off the ground a couple inches. Bacteria, coccidia etc. loves to live under plants that never dry out.

I really like how you did the decoration, and thats a great idea with the dowels I have a bunch of dowels that I have been dreading putting up, but now I have a good idear of how im gonna do it..

See ya,

Todd

Nice setup. Do you ever have problems with him eating the soil? It looks like there is some perilite in it. I don't like to have exposed soil because I don't know whats living in the soil and perilite isn't very digestible. I cover mine with river rocks. Also depending on how long your mist sessions are I would consider raising those pots off the ground a couple inches. Bacteria, coccidia etc. loves to live under plants that never dry out.

I really like how you did the decoration, and thats a great idea with the dowels I have a bunch of dowels that I have been dreading putting up, but now I have a good idear of how im gonna do it..

See ya,

Todd

Todd,

good eye, the ficus has been repotted already with organic soil (did it today) It has been outside for a few weeks, and while I was nursing it back. I had it in some "super soil". If you look at the time of the post, it was 4am and I just wanted to get the pics up and much was left undone, my misteak, I got excited.:eek: I use miracle grow organic soil and pretty much leave it as is. I do sift the top layer and remove any large chunks or mulch, the soil is usually a fine consistance at that point. I havent seen any of them eatting soil whatsoever. I did the moss and the rocks in the past, and it either smelled, or grew fungus. The debate over covering soil is ongoing, I'm going to keep it as is for the time being. The pots have been raised as well, I take a 1 1/2" piece of PVC and cut it into 1" sections and place 3 under each pot to create air flow under them. Thank you Todd, the information is always appriciated.:)

-Jay

-Jay

Back
Top Bottom