Some videos of my female melleri eating, very long shots

Here's a new pic of her and a still pic from the videos, of her tongue all the way out.

012.jpg

021.jpg

Leland

Great range with her tongue. I really like this species. What is her total length and what is her age? Also, how do you know she is female (I thought they were hard to sex)?

She's roughly 17 inches in total length. She can shoot her tongue at least 18 inches. I have a confirmed male that frequently colors up with breeding colors, and tries to mount her, and she turns and allows it and doesn't get threat or alarm colors during, so I'm 99% certain she's a female. She's possibly gravid right now. She's been basking much more than usual, and has been slowly putting on weight everyweek, with an increased appetite. I can't see any eggs, or feel any yet, but I'm keeping an eye on her just in case.

Leland

the slow motion vid was awesome. although the first one of what appeared to be you holding the feeder was 3D-ish. That was fun.

She's roughly 17 inches in total length. She can shoot her tongue at least 18 inches. I have a confirmed male that frequently colors up with breeding colors, and tries to mount her, and she turns and allows it and doesn't get threat or alarm colors during, so I'm 99% certain she's a female. She's possibly gravid right now. She's been basking much more than usual, and has been slowly putting on weight everyweek, with an increased appetite. I can't see any eggs, or feel any yet, but I'm keeping an eye on her just in case.

Leland

i hope she does turn out to be gravid. good luck to you.

Thank you, gravid would be great. That would start a whole new adventure, and cage building. lol My son talked me into new iPhones for the both of us for christmas as an early gift since we both had upgrades. The slow motion camera is great, hence the videos.

Leland

Very cool! I always think it's funny that, when seen in slow motion, you realize that chameleons hit themselves in the face with their tongues first before retracting them. It's such a bizarre process! She looks great, happy and healthy.

Thank you, she's doing great. I'm now fairly certain she's gravid. She's gaining roughly 10-12g per week, staying off on her own away from the male for most of the day, basking much more, showing increased appetite, and now showing some gullar edema. All signs pointing to being gravid. I'm giving my feeders top notch gutloads of a huge variety of leafy greens, fruits, and vegetables, as well as 2 different dry mixes. One premium mix and the MD site dry mix recipe. I'm controlling how much she eats, so that she doesn't gain too much weight and cause complications or egg binding. She gets 2 medium dubia and 5 gravid female crickets a day, and acts like I'm depriving her.

I'm going to give myself an anxiety attack trying to plan for eggs and raising the neonates. lol Hopefully everything goes well.

Leland

Back
Top Bottom