Some really cool hognose snakes...

Gregg M

Some tigers I produced this past season...

5142202935_695304e299_b.jpg

5097570009_a1b52b8cec_b.jpg

5140339567_46d095a998_b.jpg

Het albino Anaconda Hognose

5076877336_ce193aa08e_b.jpg

Hognose snakes (Heterodon) are rear-fanged and technically not venomous, however the saliva they excrete is considered toxic to prey but not considered to be dangerous to humans...but look at what the bite can do to you....
http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

I love the look of these snakes...but would never handle one! I hate the thought of being bit...even by a chameleon...but especially by a snake. The most painful bite I had was by a monkey tailed skink...and it didn't intend to bite me. The worst "bite" I had was not really a bite...my finger just ran along the teeth of an iguana and sliced it right to the bone. It didn't hurt at all...oddly enough.

Hognose snakes (Heterodon) are rear-fanged and technically not venomous, however the saliva they excrete is considered toxic to prey but not considered to be dangerous to humans...but look at what the bite can do to you....
http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

Technically they are a venomous species. They actually have venom glands and a venom. However, they have a very poor delivery system. No duct leadind to the rear fangs and the fangs are not grooved plus the venom is very weak. They are harmless to humans so are not considered a dangerous venomous reptile. They have not been listed as a venomous species in any state laws or regulations.

They are a great species to keep and will rarely bite in defence. I have been bitten several times during feeding and have never had a reaction to the bite.

Now these, you DO NOT want to get bitten by... LOL

One of my East African Gaboon vipers eating a mouse.
3296449036_c2a8cf600f_o.jpg

Wow! I LOVE thie cute little smooshed in faces. I want one now! Lol! I have only gotten bit by my Ball Pyton, a little blood and bruising but thats about it. :D

I love these guys. I want to get some of these, some egg eaters, and maybe a sand boa.

I'm more afraid of some chameleons than these snakes. This one female panther actually goes to bite you. Not just mock biting, but serious possibly bloody biting! I used to let her bite me when she was smaller because it didn't hurt and I could tester her bones this way, but now, I am so afraid of her! :) I have to be ninja fast and get my finger under her while not exposing other fingers and get her off of the vine or whatever before she has the chance to get off and bite me! Once she is on one hand out of the cage, I have to be careful with my other because if it's not to her liking, BAM! Chameleon bite! She's a moody booty.

Back
Top Bottom