Some Questions from a New Owner

Chameleon Crazy Chick

Established Member
Hey, all you peeps! Happy New Year!

To get to the point, I just got my first veiled, Nikolai. He's around 3 months old, not sure exactly. He is eating around 10 small superworms a day. I have a small bowl on the bottom of the cage for food, but he spends a LOT of his time basking in the top section of the cage. The basking spot can vary... it can get to 80 f tops, but most times is around 75. Should I increase this? The bulb is around 60 watts, and it is a heat bulb.
Secondly, he doesn't seem to understand that the food is at the bottom. I have to feed him by hand (not that I'm complaining, he's adorable) but it takes a while. I'm still in school and don't have a lot of time for hand-feeding.
Is there any way that I can get him to recognize the food? Should I stick it more near the top of the cage? He explores a bit, but not as much as I thought he would..... Any and all help & advice would be GREATLY appreciated! This is a picture of Nikolai..... I will attach a photo of the entire cage as soon as I can... Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Nikolai.jpg
    Nikolai.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 102
IMG_0034.JPG
Hey, all you peeps! Happy New Year!

To get to the point, I just got my first veiled, Nikolai. He's around 3 months old, not sure exactly. He is eating around 10 small superworms a day. I have a small bowl on the bottom of the cage for food, but he spends a LOT of his time basking in the top section of the cage. The basking spot can vary... it can get to 80 f tops, but most times is around 75. Should I increase this? The bulb is around 60 watts, and it is a heat bulb.
Secondly, he doesn't seem to understand that the food is at the bottom. I have to feed him by hand (not that I'm complaining, he's adorable) but it takes a while. I'm still in school and don't have a lot of time for hand-feeding.
Is there any way that I can get him to recognize the food? Should I stick it more near the top of the cage? He explores a bit, but not as much as I thought he would..... Any and all help & advice would be GREATLY appreciated! This is a picture of Nikolai..... I will attach a photo of the entire cage as soon as I can... Thanks guys!
There is a care form here that has all the answers like that I would suggest lots more leaves and branches. But what would I know I still asking about my cage lol and to me it's full and I have told more more lol. Also I feed mine in the morning I set the crickets free and he finds them. Gives him something to do while your away

Back
Top Bottom