Some eggs are yellow, developing fungus

RedMountainHome

Established Member
Some of the eggs from my panther's recent clutch are yellow and developing what looks like fungus. As mentioned in another post, some of the eggs may have gotten wet from the mist system in the chameleon's cage.

Should I remove these fungus eggs? Am I doing something wrong with the "incubator", which is a plastic box with a couple holes and slightly damp vermiculite?

Attachments

• egg fungus.jpg
    egg fungus.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 98
After about two weeks if your eggs are not fertile they will mold over. Remover the ones that have molded over so it does not spread to your good eggs.

I incubate the eggs the same way that Lynda (kinyonga) does. Put them in a plastic Tupperware shoe box with about 3 inches of moist vermiculite and keep them in a closet where the temps with be around 76 degrees. I punch two tiny holes in the lid. To test for moisture, take a fist full of the vermiculite and squeeze it, if no more than a drop or two of water comes out then the moisture level should be okay. Do not turn the eggs as you move them from where they were laid to the container. Lay them in rows about an inch apart in all directions in shallow dents made with your thumb in the vermiculite. Put the lid on and place them in a dark place where the temperature is between 72-78 F. Moisture will form on the sides of the container and underside of the lid. It takes about 8 to 9 months for the eggs to hatch. It they are not fertile they will mold over in a couple of weeks.

Thanks. I made a new post to answer the specific question of removing the eggs, instead of trying to build on the previous thread about the eggs being laid. I appreciate Kinyonga's reply as much as I do yours :)

Back
Top Bottom