solarmeter reading

KevinMcI

Question regarding metering readings. I have an older model Solarmeter :
(SM 6.0 UVB), that I have had since the 90's. I am questioning its accuracy. I am typically getting readings from new bulbs, that seem to be low. Example: Reptisun 10.0 18" bulb, is .10 mW/cm2 at a distance of 6 inches (no screen). Can anyone provide me with their readings from similar 10.0 and 5.0 bulbs?
Thanks

the uv index is µW/cm² divided by 40. However someone did a test with both the 6.2 and the 6.5 and came up with these ratios:

Solar Raptor UV Pro 70W Metal Halide Lamp - 35.0 : 1
ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 tube - 34.3 : 1
Arcadia D3 Basking Lamp 160w mercury vapour lamp - 20.7 : 1
ExoTerra ReptiGlo 10.0 Compact Lamp - 14.0 : 1
ZooMed Powersun 100w Mercury Vapour Lamp - 11.2 : 1
ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 Compact Lamp - OLD version from 2007 - 10.8 : 1
and for comparison
ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 Compact Lamp - NEW version from 2009 - 31.5 : 1

https://www.chameleonforums.com/uvb-10-harmful-128206/index2.html#post1121612

PS: a solar meter should only be used to guage the reduction from "your" bulbs. You like up 6 of them and you will be lucky if they all read within 20% of each other. Also reptisun has changed there formulas over the years, this can drastically affect the older models.

follow up question on Solarmeters

Thanks for the info Nightanole,
Are those values for UVB and UVA? My meter only measures UVB. And would I just measure the strength when I begin using the bulbs and replace them when they get to the recommended lower percentage? Most of my bulbs run between .1 mW/cm2 down to .004mW/cm2. Seems to be low?

Thanks for your input K

the 6.0 and 6.2 are the same unit. Yours measure is mili watts, while industry standard is micro watts. You have to multiply your results by 1000 to get the standard µW/cm².

the 6.5 is measured in UV index, but is better because it measures flat 270-300nm, which is the full uvb section. The older 6.0 and 6.2 meter just had a huge peak in sensitivity at 280nm and dropped off several fold at 270 and 300.

so .1 mW/cm2 down to .004mW/cm2

100µW/cm² down to 4µW/cm². Neither of those numbers look right, since even the best reptisun 10.0 does 35-45µW/cm² 6" from the single bulb.

the 6.0 and 6.2 are the same unit. Yours measure is mili watts, while industry standard is micro watts. You have to multiply your results by 1000 to get the standard µW/cm².

the 6.5 is measured in UV index, but is better because it measures flat 270-300nm, which is the full uvb section. The older 6.0 and 6.2 meter just had a huge peak in sensitivity at 280nm and dropped off several fold at 270 and 300.

so .1 mW/cm2 down to .004mW/cm2

100µW/cm² down to 4µW/cm². Neither of those numbers look right, since even the best reptisun 10.0 does 35-45µW/cm² 6" from the single bulb.
I have a question ,my chames are out door and I use a mesh / green house plastic to cover my chames .I want to get a meter to see how much uvb they are getting if any . What meter would help me know forsure how much uvb they are getting ????

I have a question ,my chames are out door and I use a mesh / green house plastic to cover my chames .I want to get a meter to see how much uvb they are getting if any . What meter would help me know forsure how much uvb they are getting ????
Solarmeter 6.5 is the new industry standard and is what most companies and hobbyists are using.

I was told the 6.0 was more accurate for uvb readings ?!?!?!
No the 6.5 is :) So you have a Panther. If you want a 3 UVI at basking level. Your going to hold the solarmeter at basking and click the button it will give you the exact UV index reading at that level. You can then raise or lower your basking to have the correct UVI at basking.

No the 6.5 is :) So you have a Panther. If you want a 3 UVI at basking level. Your going to hold the solarmeter at basking and click the button it will give you the exact UV index reading at that level. You can then raise or lower your basking to have the correct UVI at basking.
my chames are out door !!! and the are under a green house plastic . so as long as their basking branch reads 3 uvi that would tell me for certain they are getting uvb ? sorry for being such a pain :0

my chames are out door !!! and the are under a green house plastic . so as long as their basking branch reads 3 uvi that would tell me for certain they are getting uvb ? sorry for being such a pain :0
Your not being a pain. Yes it will show you if your getting any UVI through the green house plastic :) if you have outdoor cages as well then you can test it outside to see what the UVI is at that point during the day.

Your not being a pain. Yes it will show you if your getting any UVI through the green house plastic :) if you have outdoor cages as well then you can test it outside to see what the UVI is at that point during the day.
thank you very much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The way i describe the meters:

6.2 is for measuring stuff that animals are not normally exposed to. AKA hazards in an industrial envoroment or if a tanning bed starting putting out really nasty deep UVB or UVC levels

6.5 is for measuring stuff that animals normally exposed to. AKA outdoor lighting for timing exposure to gingers before they get skin damage.

Nobody should be using a 6.2 for reptiles, the 6.2 is not sensitive in the D3 production zone, its sensitive in the deep UVB eye/skin damage zone. Its not going to tell you if you are going to get a tan or good bones.

The 6.5 on the other hand is not sensitive in the deep UVB zone, but is sensitive in the D3 production and UVA tanning zone. Its not going to tell you if the bulb is putting out non terrestrial levels of UVC that will cause your eyes to bleed out.

The way i describe the meters:

6.2 is for measuring stuff that animals are not normally exposed to. AKA hazards in an industrial envoroment or if a tanning bed starting putting out really nasty deep UVB or UVC levels

6.5 is for measuring stuff that animals normally exposed to. AKA outdoor lighting for timing exposure to gingers before they get skin damage.

Nobody should be using a 6.2 for reptiles, the 6.2 is not sensitive in the D3 production zone, its sensitive in the deep UVB eye/skin damage zone. Its not going to tell you if you are going to get a tan or good bones.

The 6.5 on the other hand is not sensitive in the deep UVB zone, but is sensitive in the D3 production and UVA tanning zone. Its not going to tell you if the bulb is putting out non terrestrial levels of UVC that will cause your eyes to bleed out.
thank you very much !!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom