Solarmeter 6.5 on sale

At $25 per Arcadia bulb...

say 4 bulbs to math math easy

say cham lived 6.5 years...

If you change every 9 months, thats 8.66 bulbs
If you change every 12 months thats 6.5 bulbs

Butt...
I get min 2.5 years out of each of mine based on meter readings...
So thats 3 bulbs per cham

So ROI

$900 in bulbs for 4 chams for 9 month changes

$700 in bulbs for 4 chams for 12 month changes

$300 in bulbs for 4 chams for solar meter changes

If you buy a solar meter you only replace your bulbs when they go out of spec vs every 9-12 months "as recommended". Most T5HO's dont go out of spec for 2 years or more, but you dont know unless you have a meter. You dont even know if your current setup is correct without a meter. You may be way over/under shooting your uv goals with "the generic internet setup".

How do you know if you have a weak balast and its putting out enough voltage to full power the bulb?
How do you know if your screen is filtering out the same amount of light as the other random person on the internet?
How do you know your bulb isnt failing prematurely? Do you really think consumer electronics have a FourNine (99.99%) success rate?

Just buy the $200-250 meter, its less than the cost of 2 vet visits :)

Going to grab one of these myself. Here's what I found on the differences:

https://www.solarmeter.com/

Reptile version:
Applications:

"Regular" version:
  • Compact, Handheld, and Durable
  • Simple Single-Button Operation
  • NIST Traceable Accuracy
  • LCD Display
  • Made In USA
Applications:

My 6.5R has the reptile sticker on it and I love it :)

I like having the piece of mind that my UVB ratings are exactly where they need to be. I put the basking branch at the correct level and glad that dont have to guess and hope for the best.

I did the math on it and if ZooMed T5 HO's truly do last up to 1 year then you pretty much break even assuming a $25 cost per bulb. If they last longer than a year then you do even better. Cost aside, it's nice to be able to setup your UVB and not just hope that it's right.

Assuming a chameleon lives 7 years and $25 bulb cost:
New bulb every 6 months = $350
New bulb every 1 year = $175 + cost of Solarmeter = $375
New bulb every 2 years = $75 + cost of Solarmeter = $275

I got mine in the mail today, what is the current agreed upon ideal range for panthers?
3-4 UVI where it hits on their back and sides.... But this is also dependent on your supplementation. Using this with repashy calcium plus LOD every feed or the standard regular calcium every feeding except when you use calcium with D3 2 times a month and a multivitamin with A 2 times a month.

I am really happy I ordered this! His main basking branch, where his back would be, was only getting low 2's. The bulb in general seemed to be putting out really low numbers and this bulb is 'only' 5 months old. After I rearranged his basking vine closer to the bulb, very close to the mesh, I discovered that the other end of the bulb is putting out much higher numbers. I flipped the bulb in the fixture and put his basking vine back to where it was and I am in business. Now on this branch the top of his back will see anywhere between 3.5 and 4.5+, depending on if he is laying or standing tall threatening me.

Last edited:
I am really happy I ordered this! His main basking branch, where his back would be, was only getting low 2's. The bulb in general seemed to be putting out really low numbers and this bulb is 'only' 5 months old. After I rearranged his basking vine closer to the bulb, very close to the mesh, I discovered that the other end of the bulb is putting out much higher numbers. I flipped the bulb in the fixture and put his basking vine back to where it was and I am in business. Now on this branch the top of his back will see anywhere between 3.5 and 4.5+, depending on if he is laying or standing tall threatening me.
Just compensate the basking bulb up if you adjusted the branch up. Don't wanna have to deal with thermal burns. :(

Back
Top Bottom