Soil temperatures in western Madagascar

Alexl

Avid Member
Hello everyone,

together with my husband and a good friend I just published an article about soil temperatures in the Chamäleo (magazine of the working group chameleons in Germany). It deals with ~ 1400 measurements of soil temperatures in Ankarafantsika national park in the west of Madagascar over a whole year. The mentioned national park is home to Furcifer rhinoceratus, Furcifer angeli and Furcifer oustaleti (and Brookesia decaryi, but they don't dig so deep). For these species, these soil temperatures could be interesting concerning egg incubation. Especially exciting are the differences in the night drop between the rainy season and the dry season.

Since the original article was published only in German, but I think it could be useful for chameleon keepers and breeders in other languages, too, I have translated the article into English and put it online:
https://www.madcham.de/wp-content/u...na_negro_soil_temperatures_ankarafantsika.pdf

Enjoy reading!

Hello everyone,

together with my husband and a good friend I just published an article about soil temperatures in the Chamäleo (magazine of the working group chameleons in Germany). It deals with ~ 1400 measurements of soil temperatures in Ankarafantsika national park in the west of Madagascar over a whole year. The mentioned national park is home to Furcifer rhinoceratus, Furcifer angeli and Furcifer oustaleti (and Brookesia decaryi, but they don't dig so deep). For these species, these soil temperatures could be interesting concerning egg incubation. Especially exciting are the differences in the night drop between the rainy season and the dry season.

Since the original article was published only in German, but I think it could be useful for chameleon keepers and breeders in other languages, too, I have translated the article into English and put it online:
https://www.madcham.de/wp-content/u...na_negro_soil_temperatures_ankarafantsika.pdf

Enjoy reading!
Great information! Thank you for sharing!

Last edited:
THIS is Awesome! I realize it’s “old”, but greatly appreciated! Recently started breeding and have been geeking out on all info I could find for the last 5 years or so. As we incubate I can’t help but wonder about the variance of the soil temps. I track temps in Madagascar, but the soil is so different.

Did you ever do follow up studies? And if so, where might I read about those?

Thank you SO much for doing this and putting it out for us to read!

Hi,

Yes, we have measured in other places in Madagascar, too. There is currently an unpublished article on ground temperatures in eastern Madagascar, more precisely Andasibe and the surrounding area, i.e. the eastern highlands. As it will be published in a very small club magazine, the data is already available on our website. You can find them here, for example: https://www.madcham.de/de/calumma-brevicorne/ We are working on further measurements in the north-east, north-west and south of the island.

Back
Top Bottom