Sobe Update :]

yes it is true we have had very hot days lately up to 112 being the highest THIS WEEK, last week it got as high as 115... anyhow the breeder said it was ok for it to be 70-80 in the morning and about 70-60 at night. i bought my cham. from these forums from lance, his cham. are awesome, they look very healthy too. anyhow i have been following most of his instruction the ones i could follow.

so should i mist 5 times a day or 2 times? like i said i keep my cham. inside my room, the AC is on and it is kept at a cool 78 degrees. his cage is 83 being the hottest it gets. he ussually is at the top of the cage right under the basking light, for a while i thought his cage was too cold since that is where he ussually is under the light.

Do realize that AC actually robs humidity. So, I would suggest upping your misting session a bit more. I personally mist 5 times a day now as my home get quite dry since I kept the AC on the whole day.
Use your best judgement since my situation is a bit different than yours.
But, I would suggest you to mist at least 2 to 3 times/ day or more.
Allow drying time in between misting. Making the cage constantly wet is not a good idea either.

ok i will mist 3-5 times a day. about how long will it take for me to see results in him getting better? and what signs will they be?

ok i will mist 3-5 times a day. about how long will it take for me to see results in him getting better? and what signs will they be?

The eyes will return back to normal and the urate will no longer yellow in color.
The silkworms will be helpful in helping to hydrate him back.
Try to lower the temp and maintain 40 - 60% humidity.
90 is quite high for babies.

the eyes will be back to normal you say, about how long will this take? days or weeks :[ i really did not even notice his eyes sinkling in to begin with! i see him everyday so i guess that is why i did not see anything with eyes. i stare at him for minutes :] just so fasinating. anyhow will the silkworms camoflage or will the chameleon eat them like nothing? the crickets ussually stay at the bottom of the cage then go up at night.

Your little guy really does appear pretty sick. The most immediate problem is the dehydration as already discussed, but I would not hesitate to get him to a reptile vet as soon as possible. There could be other underlying problems that a good vet could diagnose. I agree that 90 is too hot for a baby. You should also do a search for a good supplementation schedule (there are many here on the forum.) A growing baby needs calcium without d3 on a much more frequent basis. Hopefully he will show improvement, but plan to see a vet soon. Best wishes.

the eyes will be back to normal you say, about how long will this take? days or weeks :[ i really did not even notice his eyes sinkling in to begin with! i see him everyday so i guess that is why i did not see anything with eyes. i stare at him for minutes :] just so fasinating. anyhow will the silkworms camoflage or will the chameleon eat them like nothing? the crickets ussually stay at the bottom of the cage then go up at night.

Hard to say.. but it should be a fast recovery.
not weeks.
Problem is, it could also be some other underlying problem. So, you will need a vet to confirm.

BTW,
crickets shouldn't be there in the cage at night.
They can chew on your cham while sleeping.
Feed only as many as what he would gobble up.
Don't leave cricket overnight free ranging in his cage.

You said..."he drinks a lot of water A LOT!"...then I would think that his eyes might be sunken in for some other reason than dehydration.

You said the UVB light is a repti sun 5.0...compact or long linear tube?

You said..."gut load them with potatos, fruit and cricket feeder"...you can use a wide assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, zucchini, sweet red pepper, etc.).

You said..."dust with pink repti cal D3, dust once a month"...since many feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous, I dust at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder. I only use the Rep-Cal with D3 twice a month lightly and Herptivite twice a month lightly too.

Does your chameleon sleep during the day?

my chameleon's cage has been at a 66-75 today just because you guys stated 80 was a little to hot for the cage temp. i have not seen any improvement on him i acctually have not even seen him drink water today i have been spraying/misting all day so far 4 times since 8 am. is there anyway i can make him drink water? or does he have to drink on his own?

my chameleon's cage has been at a 66-75 today just because you guys stated 80 was a little to hot for the cage temp. i have not seen any improvement on him i acctually have not even seen him drink water today i have been spraying/misting all day so far 4 times since 8 am. is there anyway i can make him drink water? or does he have to drink on his own?

the AMBIENT temp of 70F is good. I would give him the BASKING temp of 80- 85 F. keep up the humidity between 40 - 60%
I usually mist 4 times/ day -5 minutes per misting to induce his drinking response.
the silkworms will help in hydrating him.

Are you going to bring him to the vet?

Have you get rid of the wood bark substrate?

i am about 2 hours away from LA, there are no vets nearer to me other than LA. the best day i can take him is first thing tomorrow morn. i am getting freaked out since i have not seen him drink water (teh times i been checking up on him). he hasnt moved from the spot and his eyes are closed. is it a good idea to turn off the basking light to make temp. drop? it is 77.5, if i turn the light off will the humidity go up, causing him less hot and less dehydrated or maybe it does not work that way? please more advice on how to get him to drink water!

i have been misting for long periods of time but he just stays there. i was wondering if it is safe to take him out of his cage and have small dropplets land on his mouth? will it force him to drink? or will it do no good?

You said the UVB light is a repti sun 5.0...compact or long linear tube?
Your chameleon is in a lot of trouble...you need to get him to a vets now, IMHO.

repti sun 5.0 is the long tube lights 15" but does this matter for this occasion? (dehydrated problem)

You said..."does this matter for this occasion? (dehydrated problem)"...you already said he drinks a lot of water A LOT!"... and I replied ..."then I would think that his eyes might be sunken in for some other reason than dehydration"...obviously you don't think I'm right...so I will let the others answer for the rest of this thread.

sorry kiny. i forgot about that post reply, i am so out of it right now i am really focused on getting him well. again i apologize, since i am convinced he is dehydrated since most people say he is :[. yesterday was the last day i saw him drink water. today i have not

As I already said...your chameleon is in a lot of trouble...you need to get him to a vets now, IMHO.
I wish I could tell you what's wrong with your chameleon, but I'm not a vet. I just know because of what you say and how it looks.

I recommend Dr. Stein.
Geoff Stein, DVM
Dr Shipp's Animal Hospital
351 Foothill Rd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Tel: (310) 550-0101

The dehydration comment was made at that time by just looking at the pics.
Please schedule an appt with the vet asap.

Back
Top Bottom